DVD Labels

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Valued Member

DVD Labels

Postby auburnfan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:06 am

Right now I am taking unused scrapbook paper (yes, I have given it up for slideshows...no time!) and cutting it to fit the dvd case. I like the different looks of the paper, so many of the covers come out really cute. But, I really haven't figured out how to print on the paper. Any suggestions on what yall use for covers? Can you buy premade covers that would be good for birthdays, memorials, etc. I have seen some for weddings, but not other occasions.

Postby nannybear » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:50 am

I use cardstock paper and design my covers in Corel Draw. don't know if that helps??
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:28 am

I'm using Photoshop most of the time to create covers but have also use MS Publisher... any page layout software should work fine for you. Depending on what the particular project is I may use (like nannybear already mentioned) cardstock... or photo matte paper. Also have incorporated a vellum paper for a "fancier" project....

I like your usage of scrapebook materials!! that could be a very unique cover.

Bob

Valued Member

Price

Postby auburnfan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:24 am

I thought about designing my own, but I was worried about the amount of ink it takes to do that. Replacing those ink carts gets expensive!

shoebox

Postby shoebox » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:26 am

Like the others, I use Photoshop. I use photo-matte paper. It does use the ink, but that is just an expensed item for the cost of doing business. It is factored into my overhead. My cost for doing one DVD is about $3.50. This includes .89 for the DVD, and .90 for the case. The rest is in ink and paper. Of course we have all of the time invested..... Whoa... Do we have the time..... LOL

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:22 am

Hi,

Serif have a freeware copy of their DTP program - PagePlus SE, it should have a template for DVD covers that you could modify to suite your purposes.

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/default.asp

If you are keen on their templates & they aren't included in PP SE, let me know & I'll email you the ones from the full app.

They also have a number of other freebie apps on their web site as well.

Neville

Postby webcombo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:14 am

Personally, I create my files in Photoshop, using the front with a size of 5.687in x 7.187in. That allows for a .5" side for the folded side of the cover. Then, the back I create a seperate file with a size of 5.157in x 7.187in and, of course, save them seperately. Then, I create a blank document that is 10.844in x 7.187in and paste the front on the right side of the page, and the back, on the left. This gives me a perfect size cover, without the guesswork of how far I can go over. I usually "bleed" the front picture that I use to go onto the side border (the .5" fold).
I use to use an inkjet printer to print my covers onto pre-perferated stock. But I would have to put them under a fan for days and even then, depending on the humidity, the covers would stick to the shiny outer layer of the DVD cover. This just looked tacky to me. But didn't know what else to do. Then, I started working at FedEx Kinkos, and printed a cover onto a 10pt gloss cardstock, and voila, no more sticking. I put the cover into the case and it is just like a Hollywood movie cover. Not an ounce of stickyness at all. The reason being is that they use toner, as opposed to ink, and it dries instantly. The second it comes off the printer, you can rub all over it, and not get smeared. The cost for this is $1.49, but that would cover your paper and your ink. If you bring it in as a .pdf (most preferred form for printing at Kinko's) and ask them to print crop marks, you can then take your print over the self serve roll cutter, place that over the light table, and the light will shine through for you to be able to make a precise cut, with no white edges. Just a suggestion that I have found to work very well.

Note, you have to use 8.5 x 14 paper because there is a 1/4 in border that will not print on our printers. And the print is just a hair too big for 8.5 x 11 paper.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:41 pm

What is the exact meaning of "cardstock"? What to look for, for this use of it.

I'm about to ship my first big show (a show for my family, unpaid and not professional) and I'd like the DVD label to look nice, but I am running out of time as I need to ship by the middle of next week.

Thanks,
Jen

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:33 pm

Usually, what is meant by "card stock" is something like what
I use for stuff around here "Hammermill Color Copy Cover"
it is 80# stuff (usually you have to use the "bypass" in/out on
any printer like a laser printer so the paper path is fairly
straight. Sort of the same feel as your 3*5 notecards but
heavier. This is an example of what I use -- there are others
http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bigge ... 0023/07Q1/
(I get it locally - many cities have paper supply places - often
office supply places carry it too)

Another option to think about is just using a photo -- Costco
charges $1.49 for a 8 * 10 or 8 * 12 print on glossy paper
which you can cut to size. Just create it in photoshop or
your editor of choice, upload to them and either have them
mailed or pick up (you do need to be a costo member to
use them). I know there are a number of other places like
Wal-Mart etc. that provide the same sort of service and
the glossy photo makes for a nice cover (and, none of
those blasted ink carts that are either clogged, out of
ink or some other disorder). I do use my ink jet printer
though to print on the DVD's - not as good as a nice
silk screen, but works very well for small numbers.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:06 pm

Thanks Mikey. Maybe I can go to Staples or Office Depot tomorrow and see what they have. I don't want to buy a big package and end up having to clear james it every time I want to print....

Right now I'm just trying to decide on the design......

Jen

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:54 pm

If you are making lots (100 or more), then go to some place like Kinko's
or something, but for small quantities, if you want to use the "card stock"
(actually cover stock), you can use your printer, you just have to make
sure the paper path is fairly straight (most ink jets are). On my laser printer,
I have to open both the infeed and outfeed trays so it goes through.
The stuff I mentioned is about $15 for 250 sheets (although it comes in
a package the size of 500 sheets of regular paper). I'd love a color laser
printer (you can buy them for about $350 now), but it costs $500 for new
carts for the silly things. Ah well, back to the Epson inkjet for color (or
Costco for prints).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:11 pm

I just finished up the first shipment of a 3 DVD set (for friends who where on the dive trip to Roatan we took last winter...yeah....took a year to get the project done!).

Each set uses two double slim DVD cases (clear) I picked up from Staples. I printed the case cover inserts on good quality 20 lb bond paper (a slightly higher grade than normal printer paper....bit heavier and whiter/more opaque, but definitely not card stock).

The image was full coverage and ended up 10.5" x 7.185" to fit perfectly. I would just print 'em on the new Epson R380 I got for my wife and cut them out with scissors. Colours and coverage were excellent. No need for the heavier card stock, I found.

The design was done in Photoshop, using guide lines to help centre and place the spine text, so that you can read what the DVD is when it's on a shelf.

I also used co-ordinating designs for all the actual DVD discs....used the Epson software for printing on discs for that stuff, since it's easier than trying to lay out the curved text to match the disc curvature than in Photoshop.

Worked well....
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Return to Business Applications