Help with website!!

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Re: Help with website!!

Postby Slidewizards » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:35 pm

quikchip wrote:I agree ... website alone does not generate business ... however when using newspaper ads, church bulletins, with professional website - it can help.

Larry, are you using TextAloud to create the voice messages on your website?

Quincy

Yes I am. Not perfect but it is getting better all the time

Valued Member

Postby quikchip » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Debbie,

Accurate and good comments!

What percentage of your business comes from your blog?
In your opinion, do blogs generate any more business than a professional designed web site?
thanks ....
Quincy

Postby bellzerr » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Respectfully, I agree with Debbie's comments. Your site was too much for me to take in. I couldn't tell if it was advertising that your web hosting company places on your page or things you opted to include, but I simply couldn't muster the interest to figure it out. The best book I ever read about web site design was called, "Don't Make Me Think." Web visitors will give you a few seconds to draw them in for more. After that, they're goine. :(
Again, I offer these comments only with respect and a sincere interest in helping you discover how to best employ web tools to deliver business prospects.
Mark

Postby Slidewizards » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Have you thought of possibly redesigning the site? There is a lot going and seemed like my senses were overloaded. I was confused as to where I'd go first to find out more about the service.

There is spoken voice, music, stuff to read and movement in 11 places on the page. The brain just can't effectively take it all in. Any movement tends to draw the eye but where does a person first look? Probably not where you want them to look.

These are things I would change:

Simplify the site by removing all the moving elements, the voice over and the music.
Place the demos under a menu tab to get the excess text off the first page.
Have one single purpose for your site and only one. Remove all content unrelated to your service.

Beyond that, you could also try a simpler color scheme. Here is a website that could you can play around with to help select colors.
http://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/newest?time=30

I would consider a blog before a regular website. But maybe that's because I found what works for me. You may like the website better if it's working for you though.

Thanks Debbie and Mark very good points. Larry

Postby debngar » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:45 pm

quikchip wrote:Debbie,

Accurate and good comments!

What percentage of your business comes from your blog?
In your opinion, do blogs generate any more business than a professional designed web site?
thanks ....
Quincy

I don't do all this full time - yet. We own and run a hardware store that we're selling. But that will hopefully not be forever and after that I'll have to make do. I've generated some income with slideshow business and some with photography. People who have paid me for my services had already seen my work either on my website or in person.

At this point, I don't know how to design a website with html, neither do I know CSS either. I can cut and paste a bit here and there though.

I couldn't compare results between a website and blogsite because I've never had an html website of my own. Anything you can do with a website can be done in a blogsite.

Blog content is almost instantly searchable and easily updated. Posts tagged with the right words can help get you on top of a search engine page. My template has an internal function for me to list key words for search engine optimization. I like it that I don't have to wait for days to have someone else update my site and can change a lot of things in a matter of a minute or two.

I think it's good to have a web presence so people can see easily a sample of one's work. Even if you only get referrals by word of mouth, the internet is where they'll be able to see your stuff and decide whether someone wants to hire you or not. I think that holds true whether it's slide shows or photography service.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby kojaysnana » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks for all replies, we are goingto look into the software slidewizards suggested. I was thinking about the linking to youtube suggestion also. The music would be their own music that they have written.

We want a place to put on the business card and allow people to book the group if they want to.

Thanks for everything

Karen

Previous

Return to Business Applications