Obtaining client photos

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Obtaining client photos

Postby bellzerr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm

For those of you producing shows as a business, what method do you use to obtain client photos. With 3MB per photo common these days, email is out. Do you have them provide a DVD, use FTP sites, other methods? Just curious as to what's working for others and wondering if I should plan on having an FTP site.
Thanks,
Mark

Re: Obtaining client photos

Postby AMD » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:54 pm

YouSendIt and MediaFire both work nicely.

Ann

Postby silverfox » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Check out Microsoft Skydrive
25 GB of free storage on Windows Live With SkyDrive, it's easy to store and share your files and photos with almost anyone.

http://skydrive.live.com/

Postby anitaemile » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:12 pm

I work with dropbox. Very easy to use. Client need to install dropbox also, but that's a piece of cake.

Anita.

Postby rdurga » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi,

I have used dropsend couple of times free of charge for personal use. Download speeds and upload speeds are pretty good. Most of these services are free upto certain limits. For a nominal monthly fee, you can upgrade for better service and storage capacity. Pl check out couple of them by sending from and to yourselves and see how the service is. you want simple, clear and clean instructions to the client. you will be a better judge by trying each one. Some free services may have lot of advertisements.

http://www.dropsend.com/index.php

ram

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby climax » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:12 pm

I use www.mailbigfile.com
I've been using it mostly to send my shows for people in Brazil tha sometimes have a hard time with photodex site.
To send pictures, all you have to do is to zip them into a folder. I used it for months for free, wich will be great to your clients being that they probably will use it just this time...
But recently I upgraded to the pro account just to get some more speed. Although the upload and download are kind of slow, you can keep working with the PC absolutely normally while you wait.
Cristina
Cristina

Postby bellzerr » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:36 am

Wow, great tips everyone. Thanks.
Anita - I use DropBox all the time to keep my own systems sync'd but have found the install puts some other off.

I've also used goaruna.com to share with others but I think you need to open a free account to upload.

I'll check out the options offered here. Thanks again.
Mark

Postby nannybear » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:54 am

I have always used You Send It, but nice to know about the other sites...cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby bellzerr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:29 pm

Well, it looked like MediaFire would be ideal until I discovered that sharing MY folder only permits someone else to DOWNLOAD, not upload. So the client would need to create a MediaFire account as well, like DropBox?
The Microsoft app requires IE so that's out.
YouSendIt appeared to upload only one file at a time so client would have to be able to zip their photos into one file.
None of these are ideal. I was hoping for something like a web-based FTP with a typical split screen: client file tree on one side and my FTP site on the other. There are Windows apps to do this but then the client would have to download, install and run a new app - eck.

So perhaps having clients zip photos into a file and uploading via YouSendIt or a non-account free upload site seems like the simplest solution? Any other comments or suggestions on this for a professsional-image solution?
Thanks for your feedback,
Mark

Postby Barkingmad » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:04 pm

bellzerr wrote:The Microsoft app requires IE so that's out.
Mark

:?: I use Microsoft skydrive and I never use IE, - I use Firefox.
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Postby bellzerr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks Shaz, I'll give it another look. Their website said it requires IE. I should have known that they meant "a browser." ;-)
Mark

Postby bellzerr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:09 pm

So Shaz, I took another look and it appears that for someone to upload to a folder in your account, that you have shared out to them, they must also have an account?
Mark

Return to Business Applications