Questions about business opportunity

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
sumgrl19

Questions about business opportunity

Postby sumgrl19 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 pm

I have an upcoming opportunity to set up a booth at a very large public gathering. I plan on having my laptop set up to play sample DVD slideshows...and also an example of a personalized dvd case and disc. I was just wanting to get some ideas to help me brainstorm on what all I could do to improve my effectivness at this gathering.

Thanks!

-Jessica

lsheppard

Postby lsheppard » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:46 pm

If you are going to be using a Laptop, I wouldn't use DVD's. Save your slideshows as .exe files and have a copy on your Hard Disk and a second (for backup) on a CD. Executables have much better resolution than DVD.

Leigh

Re: Questions about business opportunity

Postby marmart » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:38 am

sumgrl19 wrote:I have an upcoming opportunity to set up a booth at a very large public gathering. I plan on having my laptop set up to play sample DVD slideshows...and also an example of a personalized dvd case and disc. I was just wanting to get some ideas to help me brainstorm on what all I could do to improve my effectivness at this gathering.

Thanks!

-Jessica

I would have a tri-fold brochure or something with your prices and general info, also business cards. Good Luck! Let us know how it went!

Mary

sumgrl19

Postby sumgrl19 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:21 am

Thanks for the input Liegh and Mary!

Leigh,

That is a really good idea about having the shows on the hard drive as well... wouldn't want to get down there and have problems! :)

Mary,

Thanks for the idea about the brochures...I should probably get some made up. I planned on bringing a bunch of business cards and some basic order/contact forms.

stan_5150

Postby stan_5150 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:20 am

Please keep us updated. I'm debating on whether or not I should rent a booth for a wedding fair in February and have some examples running on screen.

sumgrl19

Postby sumgrl19 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:10 pm

stan_5150 wrote:Please keep us updated. I'm debating on whether or not I should rent a booth for a wedding fair in February and have some examples running on screen.

Will do!

-Jessica

Postby KellyInAz » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:43 pm

I've done wedding booths 2x's and found them to be a waste of money (at least in my area). The cost was $600-$800 to rent a booth, making it difficult to break even. I worked very hard, spoke to MANY prospective brides, and brought in a little business. It just wasn't worth the money and time spent. :?
I'm doing much better by word of mouth. I'm still looking for a cost effective way to advertise. It's too darn expensive for the little guys!!

If I had the opportunity to participate for FREE, the key to driving people to your booth is a very good sign! I orignally just had my business name up, then went home and made a huge sign stating what my booth was about. Traffic increased tremendously.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. I hope you have a huge success.

Kelly

racoscarelli

Postby racoscarelli » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:40 am

Here is my 2 cents. We do booths as a part of our association. Having the laptop available to show specific things to interested show goers is OK but you should invest in a 25" TV on a stand that is a little higher than head high and use a DVD player with an appropriate DVD to show off your talents and product. This way people can gather several deep to watch the show then get with you to ask specific questions. A laptop on a table just does not get it.

Hope these comments are helpful; it took a lot of watching and listening to people to fine-tune our booth. Also, remember that what you are selling makes a difference in booth setup.

Rick Coscarelli

Return to Business Applications