Website as a sales tool

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Website as a sales tool

Postby bellzerr » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:43 pm

For those of your doing ProShows as a business, what value do you place on a website as a sales tool? Vital? Helpful? Superfluous? Do you use it primarily to showcase your work for contacts you've already made or do you actually gain new clients from previously unknown website visitors? I'm launching a business and trying to balance how much time to spend on website development vs. production of sample shows and word-of-mouth networking. Any insights would be welcome. Thanks much.
Mark

dlvery

Re: Website as a sales tool

Postby dlvery » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:45 am

Hi Mark,
I can tell you first of all, getting the website up and running was EXTREMELY painful and time consuming. On a minimal (or non-existent) budget, paying to have one done was out of the question. However, now that it is done I really feel as though it is a very instrumental tool. I use it as a channel for people to see some of my work. What I have done is put important shows out there that pointed to my website to view. Even though I use youtube as the sitter for my shows, I can point folks to my website to view shows instead of youtube, so then they can root around my site if they are interested in learning more about Photo Journey. I consider it an important tool and am glad it is done. Its only been up for about a month and I really feel like its part of my coming out party business wise. I vote use a web site.

Diane

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 am

I think web sites are very important, especially for businesses such as this. People want to see samples of what you do. Sending a potential client to YouTube to view a sample show just doesn't seem very professional, but on the other hand having a YouTube show embedded in your own web site shows how flexible your shows can be as far as being shared with others. I also think that web sites can show how creative a person is, and how much attention to detail is spent creating them. Tossing up a plain and simple site probably gives the impression that the shows you create will be given the same treatment. Show some creativity with the site design and layout and you will impress them more.

Having a web site is mainly a sales tool for potential clients to check out your work. It probably won't attract customers that you would not otherwise have found. Pass out flyers, business cards, etc. with your web address on it to as many different people as possible. Post them in the supermarkets, clubs, etc. where you think your demographic can be found. If they're even slightly interested they'll probably check out the web site and if it's done well you might just tip them over to your side of the fence.

Good luck!

Mike

Postby nannybear » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:00 am

I agree with Mike. Mine is more for prospective clients to see what I can do. I don't have the cash to make sure it is in the top five results of a search engine, but it is a great way send clients a link and not carry my portfolio around with me. Search in the business section, there are lots of posts on who uses what hosts etc... CheersJan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Mark, (& others),

As the others have stated, a website is important these days as it shows your prospective clients that you are keeping up with current trends.

If you do require any work done, I can recommend http://www.elance.com/ - just post your job & budget & if any members of Elance are interested, they will reply with their quote. Have booked 2 jobs through Elance & have been very happy with result. One was a website for an Assoc I'm involved in ($6K) & the other a SEO for my co website ($190) that now has us regularly on 1st page of Google.

Hope this info helps.
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!!

Postby silverfox » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Websites are very important in today’s digital world.
Your website can be the most powerful tool in your marketing and can be the foundation of a successful marketing program - if you build it with that goal in mind!
It can be your sales office working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
However, an amateur looking website can produce more negative results than positive.
If you cannot afford to have professionally done, at least use a professionally created template. The difficult part of putting together website is the content - again poorly written content and poor examples can produce negative results. Before you start building a website – get your demo show designed and tested. Commit to paper, who you are, what you do, what you charge, why use you, etc. and “how do they contact you” – then build your website. Remember, even if you have your website done professionally, you have to provide content.
If you are going to have a website make sure your contact information is complete - phone number is critical. We recommend that if our clients cannot afford a business phone they get Magic Jack, for $39.95 a year unlimited calling (mainly for voice mail which is included). If it is a home based business and you do not want to use your home address, at minimum indicate the area in which you are located. You may want to consider a Post Office box at your local UPS store or post office.
Search the web and look at what others are doing to promote their slide show business – you will see the Good, the Bad, the Ugly but you can get some very good ideas.

silverfox enjoying the Californai Sunshine

Postby bellzerr » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:50 pm

These are all good comments everyone. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand the need to have a professional look. Until I can make that happen and while I'm networking and exploring markets, do you think using the Photodex sharing site for sample shows is a plus or negative? The need for the presenter software installation is an issue, of course. Better to wait for a web page?
Thanks again,
Mark

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:19 pm

bellzerr wrote:... do you think using the Photodex sharing site for sample shows is a plus or negative? The need for the presenter software installation is an issue, of course. Better to wait for a web page?

Like YouTube, the Photodex sharing site can be used as a temporary solution, but it's probably better to get a site up with a samples page. At the very least I'd get a domain name registered and put up a small home page stating that the site is currently under construction and provide a link to some sample shows at the Photodex site just so they have something to look at temporarily. A word of warning though, is that you shouldn't let this "under construction" page sit for very long as it will drive away more business than actually retaining it. Personally, I'd hold off on sharing shows until you have a site up and running unless you really need to provide a sample to a potential client. I would explain to them that it is a temporary solution for sharing rather than a long term tool.

How's that for pressure?! :D

Mike

Postby bellzerr » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:28 pm

The really great thing about this forum is that people will give an honest opinion. Thanks Mike! There's no real reason that I need to start promoting my samples (um... what samples?) until I have a web site for them. It will be a discipline for me to resist spending too much time and money on the web site rather than on the product - shows! I guess that goes back to my original post. Does the web site need to "sell" or just present a professional home for sample shows, contact info and perhaps pricing, etc. as time permits. It appears that most are in agreement that the need for a professional "showplace" is vital and that the self-generating sales aspect can be added later.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:47 pm

bellzerr wrote:Does the web site need to "sell" or just present a professional home for sample shows, contact info and perhaps pricing, etc. as time permits.

If you have some really nice samples, along with a competitively priced product your site will help sell the business. That said, you'll definitely want to put something in there to promote why using your services is beneficial to the client. In a way you're using the site as a promotional tool in addition to simply using the site as an order form for your services. You've already done the hard part of getting them to visit your site. Assuming it doesn't look incomplete or just thrown together they'll stay. Now you just need to close the deal. You can't assume that everyone visiting your site will know what it is you do or why you do it. Explaining the business and promoting the advantages of using your service will go along way in getting them to ultimately do business with you. They might originally think you only do wedding shows, but haven't thought about birthdays, vacations, etc. Show them something they haven't thought of and they'll be even that more interested. Try to give them a lot of info in a short description so as not to bore them with a long essay.

Good luck!

Mike

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Personally, I am waiting on designing a website, per say. I do need somewhere for people to go to view all my info as stated in the other posts. However, I went with WordPress for now and will upgrade to a website in time. It was recommended by some on this forum and is free.

You can check it out at http://pattycantu.wordpress.com. I don't have all my samples up yet. Am working on that.

Regards,
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Wordpress is a very good idea. There are other choices such as Blogger.com as well that will enable you to get a web presence up and running without too much trouble. I still prefer a dedicated domain, but as a startup a blog is a good idea. Once you get your official site up and running you can continue with the blog as an add-on to your site.

Mike

Postby silverfox » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Patty,
Curious, 1. how do they find you on wordpress and 2. have you gotten any business off your postin?

By the way, you did a great job - like it.

Postby bellzerr » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:58 am

Patty -
Silverfox is right. Because I followed the link you provided, I didn't even realize I was on a blog. It looks and behaves like a web site. Nicely done.

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:01 am

Silverfox,

I really have no intention of attracting business from my website from around the world, just by having people search the internet. There has been alot of discussion on this forum about this business being quite local. And I believe it is true. So, my intention was to have a web address that I can put on my business cards/brochures, somewhere for people to go to view shows, see pricing, know alittle bit about me. So anyone who has been to my site, has gotten there becuase I directed them.

Regards,
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Next

Return to Business Applications