Advice needed--new business contact

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Esteemed Member

Advice needed--new business contact

Postby Patricia_C » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:05 pm

Hello Everyone,

I got a great call from my brother today. I did a slideshow for his son's first birthday using professional pictures, in which he had purchased the copyrights for. He took that show to the photographer a few days ago to show her what I had done and she has said that many of her customer were looking for this, but that she didn't know anyone who did it, nor the time herself to do so...(Gotta love my brother, my own personal salesperson) anyway the owner said that she would link my website from hers, and I could leave brochure/business cards at her studio. I'm to call her next week to discuss.

So, I've never worked with anyone in this manner, only individuals. I charge a per photo charge, extra for scanning and a base set-up fee. I don't know if this would be the way to do it if she were to include the slideshow in a package. I'm wondering what you all do or think. I think a set charge where they can add on a commission might be more in order. But then I would have to say how many photos this charge will allow, which I personally think, gets confusing for the customer,...1-25 photos for this amount, 26-50 photos this amount. With my normal business practices, I want the customer to be able to select whatever photos they choose, without worrying what package it might fit into. So can you advice me on what might work best in this scenario?

Regards,
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Re: Advice needed--new business contact

Postby bellzerr » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:23 pm

First, this is very exciting, isn't it? Congratulations and take your brother out to dinner.
You'll need to discover whether this photographer wants you as a subcontractor where their clients would pay the photographer for the show as part of some package deal, or whether they just want to be able to refer their clients to an independent show producer. Since they are inviting a display of your brochures, I'm guessing the latter but you won't know for sure until you speak with them.
1. Independent contractor - you already know what to do except the photographer may expect a finder's fee.
2. Subcontractor - keep it simple for the photographer. If they are going to be the middle man between you and the end client, a bunch of complex options is going to be difficult.
Either way, be flexible, but keep it profitable and manageable for yourself. The exception to the profit rule may be if you need the exposure this photographer will give you - which means you'd want your name on everything.

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:01 am

Patty, I have no advice whatsoever, but I just have to congratulate you on getting such an excellent opening and also for having a cheerleader for a brother. This could be the start of something nice and big for you. Hurray for Patty!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Barkingmad » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:41 am

Same here - congratulations! I hope this opens plenty of business opportunity for you! All the best!
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Thank you to everyone for your congratulations and words of wisdom. I'm hoping for the best.

Still looking for someone who maybe does memorial show for a funeral home to advise if they charge a flat rate and how many photos they allow???

Regards,
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios

Postby bellzerr » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Patty,
I'm confused. Your hopeful new business is for a photographer, right? I guess I missed the post asking about memorial shows. Anyway, Lynn in this thread said she does memorial shows. Maybe she can help.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13684
Mark

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:56 pm

Yes, you are right. But I was thinking someone who does memorial shows for funeral homes would likely do them as a subcontractor and thus may find some answers.
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios

Postby bellzerr » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:08 pm

Patricia_C wrote:she has said that many of her customer were looking for this, but that she didn't know anyone who did it, nor the time herself to do so...the owner said that she would link my website from hers, and I could leave brochure/business cards at her studio.

Now that I read this again, it really sounds like she just wants to be able to refer her customers to a show producer if they have an interest. I can't imagine a photographer linking to your website or displaying your brochures if they were going to offer your show as part of their photo packages. But don't stress. Just go talk to them and see what they have in mind. Take a looping DVD demo show with you in case they want to be able to run one on a lobby TV. And don't forget to talk about developing a promo show for the photographer. They may not be thinking about a promo, but WE know there's no better way to showcase photos than with a professionally designed ProShow. :D

Postby bellzerr » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:37 pm

So, Patricia... what's the status? We want to hear about your new client. :D

Postby silverfox » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Alas, client is not availalbe to talk until tomorrow.

Thanks for the links...I'll check them out.
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios

Return to Business Applications