Good video camera for transfers

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
feathermm

Good video camera for transfers

Postby feathermm » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:34 am

I want to expand my business into video so I can add motion clips to my programs and transfers from film. What 3-CCD camera would be good for this work? I have a budget of $2K.

Re: Good video camera for transfers

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:38 am

I'm not familiar with the current crop of cameras, but you might want to pose that question in one of the video editing groups (since you are going to have to work with video anyway). The Sony Vegas forum would be a good place - check them out at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ There are a number of other good forums as well, the Sony one is just one I am familiar with -- there are some real talented people there that make their living working with video.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

dnmilikan

Re: Good video camera for transfers

Postby dnmilikan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:16 pm

Hello,

At your budget restraints there are not a lot of choices of cameras having three sensors. Canon does have an entry level Prosumer camera (GL2)that has three sensors and the price is normally around $2000-$2500. Most cameras in that price range are single sensor devices. The canon GL2 camera has 554 lines of resolution.

A lot depends on what sort of output you want. As in most things in life the price is affected by the capabilities of the device.

I use the Canon XHA1.(current model is the XHA1S) I have found this to be a very capable camera capable of full HD (1080/60I/30P) output. Should one want, by running the footage through After Effects and Topaz Enhance, the output can be upped to 60P by deinterlacing the footage.

Taking another tack at this...another approach, although not having three sensors, is the Canon 5D II (which I also own and use). This camera, while a single sensor DSLR has 24fps HDV capability. Again, should one wish, the output footage can be uprezzed and the frame/field rate adjusted in After Effects and Topaz Enhance. Taking and comparing the two cameras, the 5DII has more applications but the price of the lenses would take it to a higher price than the 20X optical zoom XHA!S

Donald Miller

Return to Business Applications