Using the Proshow styles in commercial dvds

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Using the Proshow styles in commercial dvds

Postby kojaysnana » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Hello All,
I've only posted once, but I view for help and answers a lot. I have a question. I have been under the assumption that you cannot sell any dvds that you have created using the proshow styles. Also, I have purchased from Choicebackgrounds a lot of things, but I quit because I assumed you couldn't sell a slideshow using those items. I recently viewed a member here sample slideshows and now I'm confused. Please clarify what is permitted and what's not when using Proshow software.

Thank you very much.

Re: Using the Proshow styles in commercial dvds

Postby kabeeo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm not sure and will defer to Jenny but I always thought that once you owned the softare and any third party stuff that you purchased, you were free to make anyshow using them and sell it as you wished. Am I wrong?
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby texan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:25 pm

I am not an attorney, but I would say any show you create with purchased styles is salable; because it's your own creation.

What you cannot do is sell Photodex stand alone styles and or anything you purchase from Choice backgrounds as that would make you an "un-authorized" dealer.

Is there an attorney in the house??
Texan

Postby debngar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:49 pm

You could check with the creator's "terms of use". Each one can be a bit different. What Photodex states regarding their produc might be completely different than what Jennifer states on her website as to how her product can be used.

Since Photodex advertises this product is used by professional photographers, I can't see why one can't use them in a production. But if you still have questions, just ask them.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby kojaysnana » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks to everyone for responding. I agree with you all! I am excited to know that to sell my creation may be o.k. I create slideshows for family and friends, and when they show others they always ask "how much would she charge to do one for me."

Thanks, I'll keep checking back.

Postby kojaysnana » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Ok, I went to faq on choicebackgrounds and you can sell a dvd with the items you purchase, you just cant resell what you puchased on its on. I think it was texan who said it first. Same thing with proshow software and their styles. This is good to know for me.

Thanks everybody!

Postby VidQueen » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Sorry, I'm a little late on this....

YES!!! :D :D I create my styles so that you can create your shows faster and easier for your clients and make money doing it. The only thing that I ask is that you not resell the template as it is or post it for someone else to download for free. Other than that....please feel free to use them in your shows and make money doing so!

For a previous question that was asked that is somewhat similar...yes, I would say that you can even use the slide styles to enter a contest, but I would have to ask that the majority of your show is not someone elses designs. One or two slides is fine, that wouldn't make or break a show anyway :D

Enjoy!!

Jennifer

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:52 am

There are several of us here who would be dang-splat out of business if it weren't for those who create slide shows commercially. We'd be foolish--Photodex included--to say you can use our products but nobody can look at them, and for sure, nobody can pay for them.

Go forth and prosper! (Just don't resell our stuff. :D )

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby PhotoMill » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:05 pm

The timing is perfect on this question. They say that the simplest questions are in fact the most important and this is one simple/important question. Oddly enough, I was wondering about this very thing the other day after reading about some copyright issues that were bothering me.

Great question ! Great answers! But in the end, I guess a direct question and answer from the software authors will work best. (Unless the EULA is in "clear language" as they now say) :)

Tks...
...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby kojaysnana » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks Jennifer and Barbara!!!

Postby cherub » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Sorry to join this thread a bit late (my hours are quite different!).

Barbara and Jennifer explained everything perfectly, but I will state my terms here too.
Anything that you make using styles and/or templates purchased from SeeMona's Blog are yours to use for whatever purpose you choose - personal and/or commercial.
All that is required is that you do not resell them, and that you do not allow others to copy the styles and templates without payment.
Since many of my templates and styles also include a great deal of elaborate graphic work (Photoshop and others), I impose the same restrictions on the graphic files as well.

Enjoy,

dlvery

Postby dlvery » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 am

I came across this video on youtube and from the mouth of Paul Schmidt, the creator of Proshow software, you have free reign once you buy the software. At 3 minutes in this show the question is asked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkRoehdi1-I

Happy creating-
Diane

Postby kojaysnana » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:27 am

Great info,

Thanks a lot

Karen

Return to Business Applications