major worry with buisness start-up.

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
omahopa1

major worry with buisness start-up.

Postby omahopa1 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:37 pm

hi,
im going to try to set up a buisness as well ,in my spare time, creating photo slideshows and photo restoration. my big big worry is when im with a client showing them my presentationand the dvd wont work on there machine, look like a right ametuar then. has happened alot lately,made slideshows for friends,turned out fantastic played on my dvd no problem but wouldnt play on theirs. ive used psg to create shows and also burned iso images. seems that it all depends on the brand of dvd you use and hope its compatible with the customers player. some brands of blank dvds work for some peopleand not for others.
is there any way to sort this one out and not be made look a total idiot in front of a perspective client after doing the hard work of getting to the stage of them wanting to view your productan then it wont run.
regards,
Paul. :? :?

Postby trulytango » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi from Manchester, UK.

I have a really old (at least 5 yrs) home cinema/DVD player (Toshiba), and I find that if a DVD plays in that, then it'll play in just about anybodies! I started to use PC World's own brand DVD-R or RWs and things have been OK, once I ditched the DVD burner that came bundled with my Dell machine that was causing me to churn out dummies -but that's a different story.

I am currently using Producer and a new Lite-on DVD burner; recently I found out that the DVD-R/RWs I was happily producing would not play in my parent's NEW Samsung TV/DVD combo set... I switched to Panasonic DVD+R disks and think ProShow Producers bitsetting capabilities have come into their own? The book-type after burning states DVD-ROM and the disks are playing in every machine I try.

Talk about trial and error!

Good luck!

omahopa1

Postby omahopa1 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:30 pm

trulytango wrote:Hi from Manchester, UK.

I have a really old (at least 5 yrs) home cinema/DVD player (Toshiba), and I find that if a DVD plays in that, then it'll play in just about anybodies! I started to use PC World's own brand DVD-R or RWs and things have been OK, once I ditched the DVD burner that came bundled with my Dell machine that was causing me to churn out dummies -but that's a different story.

I am currently using Producer and a new Lite-on DVD burner; recently I found out that the DVD-R/RWs I was happily producing would not play in my parent's NEW Samsung TV/DVD combo set... I switched to Panasonic DVD+R disks and think ProShow Producers bitsetting capabilities have come into their own? The book-type after burning states DVD-ROM and the disks are playing in every machine I try.

Talk about trial and error!

Good luck!

hi,
thanks for your reply "The book-type after burning states DVD-ROM and the disks are playing in every machine I try."
does this statement mean thati shouldswitch to DVD- format instead of DVD+ format ? sorry if this seems a dumb question.
kind regards,
Paul. :?

Postby trulytango » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:43 am

Hi Paul

Sorry if I confused you... what I'm saying is that its a frustrating process of trial and error when finding the right disks to use - I just seem to have found the right disks to use in conjunction with ProShow Producer and my Lite-on DVD burner. The combination of Producer, Lite-on and DVD+R are creating disks that are as close as you can get to DVD ROMs, and therefore more compatible in most players? I'm not in the least bit technical, but I think bit-setting is the key? When I was using DVD-R, the book-type after burning simply stated DVD-R.

Before I hit on my current combination, I was successfully using DVD-R & -RWs for most machines until I came up against the stubborn Samsung TV/DVD combo I mentioned before... this is what prompted me to try DVD+R format.

I don't think ProShow Gold does bit-setting, but I'm sure someone else here will be able to offer some advice about your compatability issues.

Good luck with your business plans.

iris

Postby trulytango » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:50 am

Paul,

There is a thread developing re bit-setting... another forum member has posted this link to an article that discusses compatibility in greater detail

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

Hope you get things sorted!

Esteemed Member

Postby G » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:16 am

trulytango wrote:Hi Paul

Sorry if I confused you... what I'm saying is that its a frustrating process of trial and error when finding the right disks to use - I just seem to have found the right disks to use in conjunction with ProShow Producer and my Lite-on DVD burner. The combination of Producer, Lite-on and DVD+R are creating disks that are as close as you can get to DVD ROMs, and therefore more compatible in most players? I'm not in the least bit technical, but I think bit-setting is the key? When I was using DVD-R, the book-type after burning simply stated DVD-R.

Before I hit on my current combination, I was successfully using DVD-R & -RWs for most machines until I came up against the stubborn Samsung TV/DVD combo I mentioned before... this is what prompted me to try DVD+R format.

I don't think ProShow Gold does bit-setting, but I'm sure someone else here will be able to offer some advice about your compatability issues.

iris

A couple of things: You can't "bitset" -R discs, only +R's. Also, the video software doesn't do the bitsetting. Your burner has to have this capability and you set this option with your burners utility software.
G
"Life is like a shower, one wrong turn and you're in hot water"

Location: First house on the right after you go around the curve...(John Lennon is on my shirt)

Postby imabeatlelover » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:49 am

When I burn a slideshow for someone, I burn one on DVD- and one on DVD+ then I'm prepared for anyone's Dvd player, no matter how old or what brand. It's worked great so far!

omahopa1

Postby omahopa1 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:23 pm

imabeatlelover wrote:When I burn a slideshow for someone, I burn one on DVD- and one on DVD+ then I'm prepared for anyone's Dvd player, no matter how old or what brand. It's worked great so far!

hi,
sounds brill. pardon my ignorance. i use dvd+r, if i want to burn one onto dvd-r do i have to re-format the drive, if so how ??
thanks,
Paul.

Location: First house on the right after you go around the curve...(John Lennon is on my shirt)

Postby imabeatlelover » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:25 pm

Hi Paul.

I burn both with no adjustment at all because I have a dual burning rom (burns both DVD+ and DVD-). As far as I know most of the newer burning roms (and lots of older ones too) are dual burners. Do you know if your burner will do both? Mine says "DVD +- RW" on the front to let me know it burns DVD+, DVD-, DVD+RW, and DVD-RW. That is my Phillips. and then I have an external Sony that is a dual drive also. Hope this helps................Pat

memuser

Postby memuser » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:31 pm

trulytango wrote:Hi Paul

iris

Your right. Gold will not do the bitsetting thing, but Producer will for a number of different drives.

Jason

Return to Business Applications