What "category" would you call this business?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
bschroed

What "category" would you call this business?

Postby bschroed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:43 am

Like several others of you, I am looking into making slide shows as a part time business. One thing I keep running into though... when submitting sites to search engines, or looking at yellow pages ads, what category would you say this falls into? It's not really Photography or Videography, or anything else that I can come up with. Any suggestions?

Brian

Re: What "category" would you call this business?

Postby texan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:52 am

Slide Shows with a difference
Memories to Music
Digital Graphic Presentations
Virtual Tours
Motion Graphics by " "

Or something to that effect..........you really can't get away without calling it "slide shows" is some form or another.
Texan

DVD-Memories

Postby DVD-Memories » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:27 am

Hi Brian,

We found a similar problem when looking at internet business directories.
In the end, we went for DVD and Video production as none of the photography categories really seemed to be relevant.

More recently, we've found a few directory sites that allow you to suggest a category so I'll update the thread if we have any success in this area.

We've taken a decision from the outset to rely very little on generating business via the web in these early stages, concentrating on local business and word of mouth. Our website is really a reference tool for prospective clients.

Sorry I can't offer anything more constructive but at least you know you're not alone!

Carl

bschroed

Postby bschroed » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks! I knew this couldn't be a unique concern. I was adding my listing to some of the online business listings, and just couldn't find anything that seemed to fit.

Brian

robertkal

Postby robertkal » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:17 am

Good question....
Most of the shows I've done were for family , friends and a couple of schools. All for FREE......
If you did want to make a small side-business out of this what would be the going cost. How much would you charge for a wedding for example......How about a child's school graduation...
Kal

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:24 pm

I think that the terminology that you decide to use will depend in large part on the sector of the business that you provide a service to. I am firmly convinced that most of us have tunnel vision when it comes to turning slide show (visual productions) into a profitable business.

Case in point...how many here have considered producing a slide show to take the place of a companies annual report?
How many have thought of producing technical support documentation via visual means to industry? How many have thought of producing sales training via visual means? How many have thought of using show production as the advertising thrust for small to medium sized businesses? How many have thought of providing employee training via visual productions? How about that marketing campaign for that new product that is better than sliced bread? Now before any start saying "oh that could never work"...I would like to remind you of a wondeful quote from Richard Bach "argue for your limitations and you shall have them".

The point that I wish to impress upon those of you that aspire to start a business is that you will decide to stake your claim to the territory you wish to inhabit. So you could say that you provide visual employee training materials or visual
marketing aids or visual...oh heck, you come up with some new ideas...O.K.?

Best regards,
Donald Miller

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Personally, I have choosen to consentrate on one segment of what I can do. For example, I advertise that I do family history documentaries. Because people in my area really believe in perserving that. Everything else like baby shows or graduation or weddings are things I choose to do in addition to, but I don't advertise that. That comes up naturally in conversation with clients and by then I've got an entire family hooked on my slideshows. They seek me out for those types of things. I say pick something you want to consentrate on, that your local market will support and go from there.
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Valued Member

Postby quikchip » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:40 pm

Patty, do you advertise on the web? Website? Do you advertise in local newspaper?

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:35 am

I have advertised in church bulletins, school sports programs. It is mostly word of mouth now.
No newspapers except for the country registrar type not the main local newspaper.
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

bschroed

Postby bschroed » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:13 pm

Patricia,

Did you find the church bulletin advertising to be effective?

Brian

Return to Business Applications