Photograph Restoration

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
DVD-Memories

Photograph Restoration

Postby DVD-Memories » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:52 am

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a competitively priced photograph (and possibly video) restoration company or service. We successfully build slideshows and presentations but are often asked about photo restoration, something we are currently unable to fulfil ourselves.

We use Photoshop to alter colour balancing, brightness, some airbrushing, etc.. but need someone who can restore scratched and damaged media.

Or alternatively, if anyone could offer any advise on how we could do this ourselves (equipment, software, etc..) then this would be equally welcome.

Many thanks

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Photograph Restoration

Postby briancbb » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:31 pm

Carl, welcome to the forum.

If you have Photoshop and proficient operators this is all that is needed for photo retouching and restoration. The big problem is that it is very time consuming compared to the usual colour, brightening shadow, etc techniques.

It requires a large amount of zooming into a small portion of the picture and use of the clone and healing brush tools, and a certain amount of artistic talent. I have spent well over an hour restoring just one photo, however this is not my main use of photoshop so a professional may be quicker, but I think not much.

As for video retouching, haven't clue :oops:
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

DVD-Memories

Postby DVD-Memories » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the information and the welcome, I guess a serious sit-down with photoshop with some expert literature is going to be as good a starting point as any!

The video restoration question primarily came about from a client looking for some corrective work on a video he had previously transferred to DVD (warts-and-all!). It's a long-shot I know but if you don't ask... :)

Again, many thanks for your response.

Postby lennyman » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 am

Carl
Have a look at Akvis.com. they have various plugins for Photoshop and the one called Retoucher is specially for removing scratches, dust etc. The programs are a bit expensive but may be worth it if you are going to use it a lot.
David

Return to Business Applications