Approaching Photographers about offering our services.....

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
teli-vision productions

Approaching Photographers about offering our services.....

Postby teli-vision productions » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:14 pm

Since I know that a great number of you here are photographers, I am sure I will get lots of different views on this!

Here is the deal:

Currently we have a contract with a local photographer....when the customer is ordering their pictures, she offers our slideshow service. She has demos of ones that we have done for her other clients to show them what is involved. (if you want to see one it is the New Baby demo on our site). It is a flat fee for 50 photos and she gets a small cut. We use photos from the session and if the customer chooses, they can add some "everyday" shots for an additional "per photo" charge. She (the photographer) calls us and we pick up the proof cd and a week or so later we drop it off in time for the customer to get their slideshow and their order of their prints at the same time.

This has been going GREAT for us so far and have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of business she sends us! This "type" of slideshow is much easier than the typical one that we do (scanning 100's of photos), and we would LOVE to approach other photographers about setting up a similar arrangement.

We have researched ALL the local photographers and none offer slideshows in any of their packages.

We do not want to offend anyone by approaching them ~ but are unsure how to do it. I mean what are the options....

an email with a webiste link and a follow up phone call to schedule a meeting?
a letter mailed with a demo dvd?
calling?
stopping by?

We want to be as professional as possible and want the photographer to feel like we are only "adding value" to their servies/packages and this will be a business generating tool for them, as well as us? Does that make sense?

THINK about photographers that have never done a PSProducer slideshow, or any slideshow for that matter.

Oh and by the way the photographer we are currently working with approached us becuase she wanted to offer slideshows, but did not have the time to invest in doing it herself.
Any advice is appreciated.

Postby trulytango » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:33 am

You are very forunate to have a photographer already using your service... this means you must already have access to QUALITY images? See if the first photographer will allow you to use a show created with her pictures as a sample for other photographers to see; or better still, ask for a recommendation?

In my experience, approaching 'traditional' professional photographers with a show containing non-professional or scanned images, has been negative. They seem to miss the point of the show and focus on the resolution... something that cannot be helped when working a clients treasured old pictures.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Postby nannybear » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:55 am

Possibly you could ask your current photographer if you can use her as a reference. Then you could send a letter starting with:

Dear ???

RE: DVD Slideshows

We currently are working with (photographers name) by providing ..........etc etc. Explain the charges , cut etc. We would like to offer the same service to your company.

We will call you within a (time frame) to follow up, but don't hesitate to contact us sooner if you wish. Wel ook forward to speaking with you.

and the usual letter ending. Just a thought, hope it helps.

Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

junephoto

Postby junephoto » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:31 am

Teli-vision,
I am a photographer starting a new children's portrait biz and intend to offer the slide show option. Would you mind sharing what your flat fee is with your deal with the photographer? I'm unsure what to charge.

I've just posted my first PSG attempt on my site (below). Feedback welcome!

thanks.

kewllll

Demo slideshow for Gospel Group

Postby kewllll » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:48 pm

Hey guys, I am just getting started in using PSP. I made some shows for family and friends with PSG, then one with PSP. I ran across a guy in my main day job that is in a gospel group just starting out and I told him what I do on the side. We got to talking and I offered to make him a demo DVD free using his pictures and songs for them to send out to different venues. He is a graphic designer so this could be a good match. I am really excited about the possibilties of this and what it could lead to. any suggestions on the best way to organise the chapters? The customer has some ideas about how he wants it which is fine by me. Has anyone else gone this route in trying to make this a paying proprosition? IF anyone else has any ideas on fees and things when working with professionial photogaphers, please post them here. I am thinking of also offering a free 50 picture dvd show to each photographer in town(one at a time of course) to get them to try me.

Hope I have not rambled too much!

thanks!
Bill

Return to Business Applications