Memorials for Funeral Home?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
ESPNLady

Memorials for Funeral Home?

Postby ESPNLady » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:34 pm

I have a good client base, most has been sports related with high school sports as well as collegiate. I was recently approached by a funeral home director who would like me to offer services at his funeral home. Does anyone have funeral homes as clients? How do you organize a slide show with the grieving family? Do they meet with you when they meet with the funeral director or do you meet with them separately? What would one charge for this service? The funeral home marks up this "option".

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Postby trulytango » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:47 pm

Hi there

Although I have not worked directly with a Funeral home, I have produced several memorial DVDs for families that have been compiled and delivered in the weeks following the funeral... am I right in getting the impression you are thinking of delivering or presenting the work in time for the funeral itself?

I think this could be extremely time consuming and emotionally draining if you were to liaise with the grieving family in person for such a short turn-around event (in the UK, a funeral takes place around a week following the death)... I suggest the funeral director could maybe show the family a sample/template you have created and collect the pictures for you... any mark up on his part is well earned and would be negligible considering his charges overall. You would charge as normal.

Just my thoughts... good luck with your projects.

Iris

thecompletist

Postby thecompletist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:45 pm

I've looked into this also. Because the turn around time would be 24-48 hours you would have to have a tight PROCESS nailed down. I've heard that one local Slide Show Company in Ontario doesn't do delivery by Courier to the Funeral Homes... they upload or FTP it to their clients and then the Funeral Directors would have to burn the DVD and print the DVD Case. Smart move for their end of the deal but...one large chain here in Toronto didn't like that option and took a pass on their services. last year.

So the answer.... do you have an Order Form you use? I do and was thinking of designing a branded one for each Funeral Home that assists them in walking thru a simple one or two page Form with questions that determine, song choices, packages etc...Plus they would have a SAMPLE SHOW running on DVD on an LCD in their office....then they would then fax/call me to do a pick up of photographs for scanning or a CD of digital photos....then I would turn it around in 24-48 hours. One method of making this happen... is having a couple of solid templates set up for this method. I know others are doing this for this Industry.

Pricing $150-$250 to the Funeral Home and they would retail the service at $299 or $350 - additional DVD's $10-$15 to them $20-$25 retail
That is very decent mark up for their industry. It's not a matter of if your local funeral home is going to do this... it's WHEN?

These are simply ideas and opinions from someone who lives in the Toronto Market and has spoken with Funeral Directors locally who are upgradig all of their Homes with Plasma's, LCD's and new audio systems.....

Jeff

stan_5150

Postby stan_5150 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Have a look at this website: http://www.memoryvision.tv/

I learned about this gentleman from our local newspaper and I decided to contact him about how to get my business off the ground. He was very receptive as well as extremely informative. Have a look.

ESPNLady

Postby ESPNLady » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:08 am

Thank you so much for your input! I appreciate your comments SO much!!!

Michele

Return to Business Applications