Right or Wrong?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Right or Wrong?

Postby JaniceMBrown » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Okay...I have been researching different industries to approach for the purpose of promoting my production endeavors. I came across an Events Center only about 1/2 mile from my house that has obviously been lacking in their own marketing as I have lived here for 8 years and never knew they existed. After tracking down their website I was shocked at what I found. They have some beautiful pictures of their facility that appear to be a very CHEAPLY done flash slideshow. What a shame to waste!!!!! Now instead of approaching them to promote my product for them to be my word of mouth for me, I want to approach them to do a video for them. Here is where the "right or wrong" comes in. In the event that I can figure out how to snatch their pictures...is it illegal or wrong for me to take their pictures and do a mock video to show them? In addtion, how the heck would I approach them and say "....excuse me, your slideshow is on the verge of horendous!!!"

Any suggestions? TIA!
Janice
Last edited by JaniceMBrown on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janice M. Brown
MemoReel Productions
http://www.MyMemoReel.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Right or Wrong?

Postby DickK » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Janice,

Even if you could (and its not practical) you definitely should not do that. Bad thing to be showing them your copyright-infringing show and wanting them to have a positive reaction.

Instead, if you can get the access to do it, go take your own shots then make the show as the sampler. If it's really better than what they've got, you can skip the "should I" and get down to the discussion of what they'd want added or changed so they could use it as promotional material. Win-win.

If you can't get the access, then go shoot somewhere you can get the access--a local shopping mall maybe. Then build a show that serves as your "sample case" for them.

Their problem is your opportunity--go for it!

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:11 pm

I don't know what an "event center" is but perhaps you could take pictures of the building or attend some event that would allow you to take additional pictures. If you are not a decent photographer you may want to consider purchasing photos for use in a show.

Never bad-mouth another business in public. It may at some point in time bite you where it hurts, You never know if the person who created the awful show was a relative of the president of the company.

Don't commit copyright infringement by "snatching" photos taken by someone else and make sure you use royalty-free music in your demo.

Kathy

Postby JaniceMBrown » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:42 pm

I guess what I was looking for was not quite protrayed in my original post. Yes, I was unsure about "snatching" photos but pretty much knew it was wrong. My concern is not so much the show itself. I can do the show that isn't a problem.

What I am fishing for is the "marketing" knowledge to approach in this way. May seem trivial to ask but I know there are many professionals on here and may have a tip or two for me. I have some thoughts on how I could do this but wanted to hear feedback to supplement my thoughts.

Thanks again
Janice
Janice M. Brown
MemoReel Productions

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:14 am

I assume that your intent is to provide a marketing/promotional tool for this establishment.

Having spent most of my adult life either in marketing or business operations/management, what I would do in your situation based upon your description as you presented it is as follows:

1. Determine the key management person. The easiest way to do that is to make either a telephone call or a direct approach to the establishment. I am unsure where you live but if you live in the US it is not improbable that a final decision is made by a board of directors. If that is the case, arrange for an opportunity to make a presentation to the board of the services that you offer and the benefit that this would afford them.

2. If you are successful in gaining permission to make a presentation, make your presentation sparkling, fresh, and innovative. Stress the benefits that you can offer.

3. It might be important to remember that a slide show does not a website make...they are different things and prepared in different ways. How would this center utilize a slide show to market their facility? If you can not see how this might beneficially impact them then perhaps a website is the best thing to offer. However website preparation, if professionally done, requires either html, xml coding ability or a html editor program such as Front Page, Dreamweaver etc...often incorporating flash (which is another matter) and action script.

Good luck,
Don

Postby nannybear » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi there,

Just my two cents but agree you should find out who you should talk to. Then I would do 2 or 3 mock demos of what you think their type of events would be. make an appointment to see the contact explaining what you do and that a slide show can be used for many things from keepsakes of an event, advertising on a web page to presentations at an event. This clues them in about the website ability, when they watch your demo and see how good it is should get them thinking. If they go for your services you could ask them to recommend you to those renting that you are available for presentations perhaps. Just my thoughts, cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby JaniceMBrown » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Thank you all for your responses. Jan you are right on the money for what I was looking for. My intent is two fold in that I want to solicit them to promote me to their customers having the events but also show them the benefit my service could provide for them as well. So, with what you said I will pursue in that manner. Approach with event productions in mind and hope they will see the benefits for themselves as well. Thank you, thank you. Sometimes I get foggy trying to do too much at once and the simpilist things just don't come to mind. Not to mention, I am new to all this.

Janice
Janice M. Brown
MemoReel Productions

Postby nannybear » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:44 pm

Best of luck and glad I could help! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Return to Business Applications