Photo album creation

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Photo album creation

Postby sheldonk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:58 am

My wife has been nagging me to make a printed photo album of our sons Bar Mitzvah. The photographer I used gave us a DVD full of photos that I have used to print some photos and make a slide show.

My new job is to make an album. I have decided to use the 10" by 10" assembled album at MPIX.COM. I love the quality of the prints I get from MPIX, so I am confident that the album will be good quality.

My quandry is to lay out the photos using some kind of template. I have Photoshop but I didn't know where to begin. I did some googling and I found a product at http://www.avhow.com. They have a large package of album templates and 19 videos to go along with them. The videos teach you how to use the templates.

The cost for the whole package, including the videos was $60. I also had a special link where they threw in another 19 videos on how to create your own templates. I started out looking for templates and I ended up with the templates and alot of great Photoshop tutorials to boot! I can't believe how easy it is to lay the pages out with these templates and a little bit of knowledge!

They also included documents you can use to design your album and story line and a video on how to use them.

I am well under way with my sons Photo album thanks to this great product!

Sheldon

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Photo album creation

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Sheldon,
Did you not like the layouts that you could get using MPix Press?

-Vernon

Postby JaniceMBrown » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:56 pm

Sheldon...

I challenge you to check out this option. www.blurb.com this site offers a free sofware with templates that lets you use your own pictures to create a book and upload to them and then they print it. I have actually seen some of these books and they are absolutely beautiful. I have yet to figure out how they do it for the price as it is very inexpensive. I know you have something in mind already but after seeing this you may reconsider. I am actually thinking of offering this as a "complimentary" item when I do a video.

Good Luck with your project. (be sure and click on the "get inspired" link to see examples of some books.)
Janice
Janice M. Brown
MemoReel Productions
http://www.MyMemoReel.com

Postby sheldonk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:20 am

VernonRobinson wrote:Sheldon,
Did you not like the layouts that you could get using MPix Press?

-Vernon

The album I am using is not a press product. I am not a big fan of their press products.

Sheldon

Postby sheldonk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:23 am

Hi Janice,

Blurb looks nice. However, I want a product where I can create album pages independent of any book producer. I also wanted to learn how to create these pages myself in PhotoShop. This way I can use any album product I want.

Sheldon

Postby sheldonk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:52 pm

I looked more at Blurb. It is very similar to MPIX press products. Both are press products, not photographic products. They print the book on paper with a four color ink process. I had an MPIX book made last year. The dynamic range of colors is poor. This is due to the process they use.

The book/album I am making is what MPIX calls an assembled album. The pictures are printed on regular photographic paper using regular photographic techniques. Then they use a slip-on type album and assemble the album for you. There are alot of slipin type albums available on the market. However, I would rather someone else do that for me.

MPIX does not offer any layout software to use with this type of album. They expect you to do all the layouts and then upload the photos to them. That's where AVHOW.COM comes in.

I will make a show of some of the pages I created to let you see what I am doing with these templates.

Sheldon

Return to Business Applications