Working for a photographer

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Valued Member

Working for a photographer

Postby smitty1946 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi,

When making a show for a photographer, do you charge him/her the same price you normally charge a customer?

Do you give him/her the right to duplicate the show or do you maintain the rights for yourself? Does this determine a difference in cost of your show?

Thanks,
Smitty
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Re: Working for a photographer

Postby texan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:41 am

Clearly the photographer should provide you with increased volume........thus provides more "value" than an end user.

The short answer is yes........he gets a discount (Based on how much incremental increase in your business he provides)

I'd maintain control over reproduction; but once again offer the photographer an opportunity to make some
profit with "add ons"............ For example if you charge an end user $5/dvd for add on's, you might offer
the photographer 5 disks for for ($15 or $20).
Texan

Postby debngar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:08 am

Yikes!

I hope you're not offering blu-ray else you'll be in the negative big time for doing them for 5/20 as that is a complete give-away.

I'd say at this pricing, a person would lose money even if they don't offer blu-ray. This isn't considering the cost of the DVD, the time to burn them (working for free?), the ink to print them, jewel case to house them and the gas and wear and tear on your car to deliver them.

Figure in ALL your costs to provide your service and product.

The rest is up to you.

I can't tell you how much but think you might want to sit down and figure out your cost then add how much you want to make in profit if you really want to make this a real business. Else it's just a hobby and you can't write off expenses for hobby income because there's no profit in that pricing.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby smitty1946 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:30 am

Debbie, Texan,

Thanks for your input.

Debbie,

No way for blue ray. Granted blue ray would look better, I find that most people don't have those players. I've made shows in standard dvd format and my 61" Samsung processes the signal better than my upconversion dvd player can. I find if your show is good enough, most people don't seem to care. I have not had any issues of quality when burning dvd's. The quality has been very good, no matter what source it is being played back on. (other peoples systems)

Thanks again,
Smitty

Postby texan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:21 pm

I didn't mean to "set prices" for anyone........I merely grabbed a set of figures to demonstrate a %20 discount......

My prices (Real ones) are $225/show with add on DVDs at $10/per (Up to 50 photos)
Texan

Postby debngar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:47 pm

I didn't mean to "set prices" for anyone..

I know - I really wasn't trying to jump all over you for that in a bad way - honest. I'm just trying to point out that some people don't consider the real costs of doing business and often under price themselves right out of business. :)
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby smitty1946 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:10 pm

Texan,

I was hoping you were not charging the prices in your earlier post. Glad that was a number you picked out of the air. :mrgreen: . I think I knew that anyway. Your input was appreciated. Not that I'm going to do a show for a show for a photographer, but I thought in case the situation came about, I would have some sort of an idea. I do my own photography.

Smitty

Return to Business Applications