How are you selling DVDs?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:14 pm

Jules

Not really well up on these legal issues. Your original message had me thinking and doing a bit of 'google' research. During this I came across a number of EULA's that had the very same wording as Photodex.

On the 'licencee' tab (of my link above) I noticed Adobe, Nero, Photodex, Pinnacle, Realtime, Roxio and Ulead. I know some (if not all) have a similar wording in their EULA. Now Sony is actually a 'Licensor', maybe this exempts them?

I still believe it is out to catch the 'big boys', the replicators of retail DVD's, not the small private company making 10's for private sale. However the wording is such that the royalty 'should' be paid, but who is going to chase us for what in most cases would be less than a few 10's of $.

Brian

shoebox

Postby shoebox » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:36 pm

On the copyrighted music. Thought I would through my two cents in. I'm very close friends with some "Major" players in Country Music, I've spoken with several of them about the copyright on music. Here is the jist of it.

All content published/produced for your client is done souly under the agreement that they do not use the show for public viewing and charge a fee.

You use legally puchased music: A CD your client provides, or you purchase the song from a legal download site. (Wal-Mart charges .88 for a song) If you download it for the client you must purchase that song for the client and if you need to use the same song for another client you must purchase it again.

That is it in a nutshell. I hope I helped clear that one up.

Looks like I'll be paying the minimal fee for the MPEG licensing as well.

Previous

Return to Business Applications