Need help in pricing my services

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
laura

Need help in pricing my services

Postby laura » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:50 am

Hi Everyone

Just like to say I think this is a great site and I have learned alot since joining

I hope someone can help me in this area. I just started my own slideshow business and have only done one job which was free of charge just to get my name out. I went to their wedding and took pictures before and during the ceremony and put together a slideshow to present that evening. They had a small oudoor wedding. It was a success and I received alot of compliments. I have been giving two more jobs from that wedding and not sure of my prices. I looked at other slideshow businesses and can't beleive the price some charge. Is it because of the experience they have. I am no professional photographer or graphic desinger. Just started this business because of the slideshows I have done for my family and friends as a gift and I received alot of compliments on what I created. I have dial up so I can't view any samples. I will upload a show for any feedback in the near future.

This is what I came up with.
My prices

100$ up to 30 photos
one song

150$ up to 60 photos
two songs

I will be including text and transitions etc with each package. Don't think I want to charge extra for that. DVD with case (label on case and DVD)

extra prices optional:

Scanning $1.00 per photo (photos will be put on a CD for customer)

I will also come to the event and show presentaion on a Optoma DLP projector charging $50.00

Go to the event and take photos charging $50.00 (Kodak DX4530 5 mp digital camera)

I don't have a web site yet but plan to. All I have done so far is placing my business cards in wedding stores and floral shops and posted flyer's around my area. Will be putting an ad in my local newspaper.

Hope I can get some feed back. Would like to know if I will be charging too much or not enough.

Laura

Postby nannybear » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi Laura,

I just started as well. I looked at alot of other sites and took notes. I decided not advertise scanning as I have a day job as well and don't have tons of time. This is what I came up with.
Basic Flat Set-up fee: $50.00

1-20 photos per photo $1.00
21-60 photos per photo $0.75
61 --> per photo $0.50
Quantity Price EXAMPLE Total
20 $1.00 $20.00 $70.00
60 $0.75 $45.00 $95.00
271 $0.50 $135.50 $185.50
Basic transitions, music (yours) and pan & zoom
Extra copies are $20.00 each

Special effects and transitions require a quote

I am also going to make a short demo to show clients what is possible and they can choose from there. Hope this helps.

Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby akandrews » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:06 am

I did a slideshow for a 60th birthday party at a fancy hotel, far from where I live. I traveled there (coincided with my vacation so no problem) and presented the show in the ballroom...

The hotel charged my client $500 ballpark for the av setup (projector, sound system and screen). It was all very first rate and a huge screen so I don't know how it compares to your setup but $50 seems on the low side.

my two cents

laura

Postby laura » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:35 am

Thanks Jan for feedback. I really appreciate your response and at least have an idea what I can charge.

Thank you akandrews on your two cents. I think I might charge more for viewing the presentation. I had to rent a video projector last summer for my step-daughters wedding and it was 125.00 for one day and it was an older model. I was lucky on purchasing mine because it was on sale. I also have a good sound system but haven't used it yet because I have used the DJ's sound system and always phoned and asked permission to hook my equipment up to theirs and it has never been a problem with them.

Laura

Postby nannybear » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:01 am

akandrews wrote:I did a slideshow for a 60th birthday party at a fancy hotel, far from where I live. I traveled there (coincided with my vacation so no problem) and presented the show in the ballroom...

The hotel charged my client $500 ballpark for the av setup (projector, sound system and screen). It was all very first rate and a huge screen so I don't know how it compares to your setup but $50 seems on the low side.

my two cents

The set up fee is just in regards to the making of the PSP show. I just give them the disc and the play it on what they want. It covers the Lightscribe DVD, Cover (personalized etc.....
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

shoebox

Postby shoebox » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:24 pm

Hello Laura,
I've been watching and reading the forums for about a month now. Just joined up today to start posting and asking questions.

Here is my take on the pricing. I charge per song package with a few extras like adding video etc.

1 Song = $75.00
2 Songs = $125.00
3 Songs = $175.00

In my client agreement, I reserve the right to omit photos to preserve the emotional impact and musical timing of the production, then I try to get as many photos into the song that the clients choose. This works well for me, and easily understood by the customers. They choose the photos, and songs and pay by the song. K.I.S.S. method.

Postby marmart » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:17 am

For several years, I was very precise in my pricing, everything that could be done had a price tag, but It became so ridiculous, people were confused, so now I have a very simple method. I may be losing a bit, but hey I love doing it.

$1.75 per photo scanned
$1.00 per digital
$60 set-up charge

Includes everything (within reason of course)

If digital, they must be on a disk and numbered in the order they wish them to appear, if they need to be scanned, again they must be in the order of appearance. I have sheets for them to fill out for each "Chapter" that tells me what song to use for which pictures and what to say on title slides etc. The majority of people know what songs they want.

If I add any video clips, they should be already edited...if I have to edit, I have an hourly charge and I need plenty of time.

The only time I deviate from this schedule is for Teams-when the entire team orders, and 6th grade classes when the entire class orders. Where we live, believe it or not, 6th grade classes do a show of their years in Elementary school! I charge $20 per person. Each student brings 5 pix of themselves and then there are pix from all their class events.

Anyway, that's how I do it :)
Mary

Valued Member

Sheets

Postby auburnfan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:02 am

Will you send me a example of your "sheets"? This would be so helpful! Or just kind of give me an example of your wording?

Re: Pricing Sheet

Postby bmcgee521 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:02 am

Maramart,

Would appreciate a copy of your pricing list if you don't mind.

Thanks....

kewllll

making money from ProShow

Postby kewllll » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:56 pm

Here are some ideas I thought up, but have not tried yet:

1). Contact elementary school and have each student in a class bring 5 pictures of them in the years of them in the school as well as school events, charge 20.00 from each student and think about donating 4.00 from each purchase back to the class (marmarts idea actually)

2). Contact local photographers and offer the service as an add on to their service.

3). Contact local hospital and see if they would be interested in having a show made for PR purposes.

4). Contact local boy and girl scout troops to see if they would be interested in me making them for fund raising, based on the previous year campout or field trip. Dontate part of proceeds back to troop.

These are just trial ideas, what else is out there? Anyone else have suggestions on what else to try or charge? How about making shows for photographers as add on sevices for them? Any thoughts on what to charge them so they can still make a little money on your show while not over pricing it to the end customers?

Ladybug

Postby Ladybug » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:03 pm

Here are a few of my thoughts and experiences...
Amazing how prices vary all over the place! The Internet and web site era has changed the pricing concept considerably in my opinion. I've watched sites and seen product that still seem to be using only Windows Movie Maker or iMovie, charge more.

I for one, won't even take the time for less than a minimum $199 for up to 40 slides (some can have multiple photos), 1 song, opening and closing, some animation, basic photo correction (red-eye, quick-fix, etc.), 10 captions, transitions. Most of my presentations concist of 100+ slides, so have package prices based on quantity and creativity. I do backgrounds, not just black or white. The fancier, the higher charge. I show client examples of 'basic', 'silver', 'gold' etc. They can choose based on budget or design. They will usually ALWAYS want the nicer, more creative project and spend more. I also have many other add-ons that I offer, but's those are my secret! :wink: I have it down so it takes me about 2 hours for basic minimum by the time I play around. That's probably way longer than most of the Gurus here, but it works for me.

#1...Do the math! Figure out how long it takes you vs the cost and see if you want to do it for $8/hr (or whatever). All businesses should do a cost analysis and break-even. Remember, we are Professionals now (not just hobbyists doing it for family) and do not give away services. Don't cut yourself short! People get what they pay for! If they could do it themselves, they would! So don't be afraid to remind them of the professional service and product you offer! Features-benefits! (Sales 101)! Also, remind of benefit of 'local' service. Web presence is essential, but I think mostly for image. My business is 90% local (regional).

I NEVER take photos, I'm not a photographer and it's not a good use of time for me. I do, however, team up with other photographers as the add-on...again give them a profit too! It's a good blend of talents. I will even trademark the show with the photographer's mark for an additional charge. (kind of like 'ghost-writing')

I have found out that it's cheaper and faster for me to have 35 mm slides and photos scanned and put on a disk at Walgreen's. I charge $.50 each. My Walgreens location charges $0.10 plus $3.95 for the disk. The difference covers disk, gas and time. I even bought a high res slide and photo scanner. Walgreens route was still more cost effective than spending any of my own time! They are fast! I can give them 100 slides and pick it up in an hour or less!

I also have the Optomo DLP projector! Isn't it great and SIMPLE? It's a great WOW factor just on a blank wall at the reception. Sound is awesome, especially when hooked up to a Sub-Woofer. (Have you tried that?) I've used that alone in auditoriums, gymnasiums, etc. and sound is great. I charge minimum set up of $100 within 30 miles (covers basically my whole valley), $100 rental, first two hours and $35 each hour thereafter, and $.75 cents/mile outside my area. Deposits are required. Customer can set up themselves, but a hefty deposit is required. Not much AV rental availability in our area, so it's a deal! I do not rent the projector out unless it's my presentation. I also offer a 32" LCD Flat screen and DVD player for rent and set up. If the customer has purchased a large package and add-ons, I use the LCD as the "Wait!, there's more...." hook. And don't directly charge for rental, just set up. This way I always make sure my presentations are shown at their best!! One of the local funeral homes purchased their own 42" LCD to show my memorial presentations.

Check with Funeral Homes (as add-on to their service. Allow them a profit) in your local area and post "Family History" flyers in Senior Centers, Libraries, Clubs, specialty markets in affluent neighborhoods, etc. Hand out cards everywhere you go! Join Rotary, Lions, professional organizations, and offer them a free membership recruiting or service DVD and network, network, network! Other ideas...high school sports year end, Band, Dance or Drill team! When my friend told me her daughter's High School Drill had to hire the DVD done in a large metro area at a cost of $2,000....that's when I decided to start making money instead of hobbying! I swear it was done on iMovie, no photo correction or anything!

The really high-end wedding planners are also a good source, just allow them a profit too!

Ok, that's the end of small business 101! :lol: Did I say 'few'? :lol: Again, probablly way more than you needed.....but when it's late, I tend to ramble on! :lol:

Now that 3.0 offers so much more....we all may have to re-think prices.

Hope it helps!
Good luck!
LadyBug :)

laura

Thank You

Postby laura » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:12 am

Thank you Ladybug for your reply on this topic. I've made some changes in my prices since reading everyones reply before yours. For 40 slides I charge only 100$ if the pics are digital and an extra 75 cents a pic if I have to scan. I also charge extra for adding video or audio clips. I have my ad in our local newspaper and have business cards at the flower and wedding shops and have flyers I put up around our community. I was all excited when I started getting some calls. In the end alot were not interested. Some reasons were the company did not have the funds at this time. They had to think about it before letting me know. Or just didn't bother calling me back. I made up a demo DVD and sent them to the last couple of interested customers of three different shows. One show that explains the type of transitions and effects I can use,video clips, audio clips,etc... I was wondering If I was still charging too much. Showed friends my dvd and they thought the work I put into it my prices were not too hgih. Some thought I should be charging more. After reading your reply I know now that I am not charging too much. I think alot of people don't realize what kind of work goes into making a slideshow and the time you put into it. I put in alot of time when I make my slideshows for people. I change it numerous times because I want every show made especially for that particular person or family. I made a show for a 25th Anniversary and the husband cried through the whole thing and it made me feel that I did a good job. I also bought some new products for making this business work. I bought some royalty free backgrounds and video backgrounds which I am having fun with. A Canon EOS Rebel XT (early xmas gift) and a lightscribe dvd drive (really love not having to put labels on discs any more) I haven't approached funeral homes, photographers or schools but I think I will be doing that in the near future. So thank you Ladybug on your reply because I feel much better now and I know I can do this with the help from everyone here. And I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Laura :D

Ladybug

Re: Thank You

Postby Ladybug » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:48 am

laura wrote:Thank you Ladybug for your reply on this topic. I've made some changes in my prices since reading everyones reply before yours. For 40 slides I charge only 100$ if the pics are digital and an extra 75 cents a pic if I have to scan. I also charge extra for adding video or audio clips. I have my ad in our local newspaper and have business cards at the flower and wedding shops and have flyers I put up around our community. I was all excited when I started getting some calls. In the end alot were not interested. Some reasons were the company did not have the funds at this time. They had to think about it before letting me know. Or just didn't bother calling me back. I made up a demo DVD and sent them to the last couple of interested customers of three different shows. One show that explains the type of transitions and effects I can use,video clips, audio clips,etc... I was wondering If I was still charging too much. Showed friends my dvd and they thought the work I put into it my prices were not too hgih. Some thought I should be charging more. After reading your reply I know now that I am not charging too much. I think alot of people don't realize what kind of work goes into making a slideshow and the time you put into it. I put in alot of time when I make my slideshows for people. I change it numerous times because I want every show made especially for that particular person or family. I made a show for a 25th Anniversary and the husband cried through the whole thing and it made me feel that I did a good job. I also bought some new products for making this business work. I bought some royalty free backgrounds and video backgrounds which I am having fun with. A Canon EOS Rebel XT (early xmas gift) and a lightscribe dvd drive (really love not having to put labels on discs any more) I haven't approached funeral homes, photographers or schools but I think I will be doing that in the near future. So thank you Ladybug on your reply because I feel much better now and I know I can do this with the help from everyone here. And I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Laura :D

You are so welcome. All of us here should be proud of our talent and our services! I'm so jealous of the lightscribe! That's on my Christmas list, but I guess I'll have to purchase it myself later. I think it makes the product look SO.O.O.O professional. Good job and don't give up! Try the more affluent areas of town where they are used to paying higher prices for higher quality.

After one wedding I did....one that was really a big job, projector and whole bit. Everybody complimenting, one person came up to me and asked what software I was using and how much did it cost! I politely gave her my card and declined sharing business information. I thought it was pretty brazen!

Anyway, good luck and Merry Christmas!
LB

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:50 am

LB,

Don't you all sell yourselves short.... (this is meant to encourage you)... don't worry about telling folks what software you use and don't set your prices to low... it is not the software people are hiring but your talent. A photographer wouldn't care if someone knew the type camera they used because it is the talent behind it that counts... or a writer wouldn't care if someone new what word-processor they used because it is the talent behind the keyboard.... Proshow software is great but it is not as great as the talent that uses it... you would get the same questions if you used some other package (we just think Proshow is the best tool for us)... but it is the talent that makes it work.... and I bet you don't just use Proshow to create your work... what about all the other items... When I've been asked what software I use I always answer... "it depends... was there a particular aspect of the show that caught your attention? Because I use a variety of software like Photoshop, Premiere, ProShow, Audition, etc... but most importantly it is creative interpretation of the subject that makes use of the various tools"....(ok so I'm long winded in my answers but it is the truth)...

Ok I just felt like cheerleading for a moment....

Just don't want you to under-sell yourselves....

Oh Laura... it might take a bit to break into the market... but once you start getting word out from successful client projects it will take off.... consider doing some shows for "free" for charities (animal shelters, churches, various clubs, etc...) This will put you shows in front of people in a context they can understand.... just a thought...

Merry Christmas!!!

Bob

cfeather

Weddings

Postby cfeather » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:07 am

I charge $199 for a wedding DVD creation. I spend a lot of time on it, every one is unique. They run about 15 minutes. I'm using all my own digital photography.

One thing I have not noticed in this discussion is music rights expense. I will not use music provided by the client unless they are the owner of the music (not just the CD, but the right to use it in another work). I have to factor in the cost of buying music into my shows. These CDs (I use Gene Michaels for most of my work) cost $70. Fortunately, I have a sizeable library from the old days of doing slide shows with three and four projectors. But you have to keep buying a CD or two a year to stay fresh.

Our family shows start around $120.

Unfortunately, the funeral home can get their drop-in shows from the national guys for around $60.

Next

Return to Business Applications