Unable to download templates

Post a link to your templates that you'd like to share with other ProShow Producer users

Unable to download templates

Postby northfreedom » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi,
I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I recently bought a new computer, I had quite a few templates on the old one, but now I find that I cannot add any of these to my new computer. If its a new template that I didn't have on the old computer, no problem, but any of the older ones I cannot do. I can get them on to my new computer, unzip them and when I add them to my template folder, it says they downloaded successfully, but when I try to open them in producer, they are not there. I finally decided that I needed some input before I go crazy. Help please.
Bev

Re: Unable to download templates

Postby trulytango » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:21 am

Hi

Have you tried using Producer's own Import feature? You'll find it in the Show>Show Templates sub menu. Just point Producer at the template location and away you go.

Hope that helps
Iris

Postby northfreedom » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Iris,
Thanks for answering. I did try that too, but it won't work either. I'm completely stumped. I've never had a problem getting templates into my template file before. That's what is so strange. I can get some of them, but not any that I had downloaded before. I've got a call in to Photodex. Maybe they can shed some light on it. If I ever hear back from them.

Bev

Postby cherub » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi Bev,

I'm a bit puzzled by this phrase:
unzip them and when I add them to my template folder, it says they downloaded successfully, but when I try to open them in producer, they are not there.

Can you please describe in other words what exactly you are doing, phase by phase...
And, in what folder do you put the templates?

Postby northfreedom » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi Mona
When I save a template from ProShow Enthusiasts, I save it to a folder on my hard drive. Then I go to that file and unzip it. After that I go to Proshow Producer and click on show - show template - import template. A box pops up and asks for the template that I want to import. I navigate back to the file that holds the template, click on the pst and click save. Then a message pops up that says it was saved successfully. I then go back up to show - show template - open template and it should be listed there, but it's not. I've also opened the template folder on my computer and dragged the pst into it, but again its not there when I go to show - show template - open template.
I feel like I'm probably doing something really stupid, because it should be so easy, and I've done it many times before on my old computer and even a few times on this new computer.
Bev

Postby cherub » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:41 pm

Bev,
All the steps that you have described seem to be correct and the template should appear in the list and it should work.

I navigate back to the file that holds the template, click on the pst and click save.

Do you actually open this file in Producer before you save it?
Can you see it on your computer?

The location of new templates (not the ones supplied with the program), on a Windows computer should be this:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Photodex\Proshow Producer\Templates
(UserName is of course your name)

Can you do this little experiment:

Open Producer, go to File > Open File.
Navigate to the directory where you unzipped your template, and instead of looking for Proshow files, change this to All Files
Proshow should now be able to see everything in that directory.
Choose the pst file that you see there.
Does Producer open the file as a SHOW now ??

You should be able now to see the show, like a template, with the gray squares instead of pictures.

And, here is another question for you: Do you have Outlook installed on this computer as part of MS Office?

Postby trulytango » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:47 pm

quote="northfreedom"]...a message pops up that says it was saved successfully. I then go back up to show - show template - open template and it should be listed there, but it's not. [/quote]

Hi guys

All very puzzling, I agree. I just have one thing to offer... and it may sound daft, but please bear with me; after you've gone through the Import process and gone to open the template via Show>Show Templates>Open Template - you get the Load Show Template dialogue box and all available templates are listed in the window to the left. One thing I did notice when I used to have lots of templates stored in each of the two different locations that Producer uses, was that it did not intermingle them in the overall list of templates available... it listed the contents of one location in numeric then alphabetical order, then it listed the other location similarly. In short I could have a template named Birthday that would appear after Wedding in the list.

If you have a lot of templates and a long list, check that you are scrolling down through the entire list of templates you have.

Iris

Postby cherub » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:41 am

An interesting observation, Iris.
I wouldn't have thought about this, as I don't save any templates on my computer, apart from those of Photodex.
But I do know the procedures of saving, importing, exporting, etc.
"The cobbler always goes barefoot", as they say... :D
Last edited by cherub on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby trulytango » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:05 am

Hi Mona :lol:

My templates list used to be so very, very l-o-n-g. I downloaded everything and anything in my quest to learn key frames!

Lets hope Bev gets her puzzle solved soon!

TTFN
Iris

Postby northfreedom » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi Again,

Have tried all the suggestions, and still am stumped. I went into my template file (my computer, doc & set. owner, app. settings, photodex, psp, templates), and found that all the templates that I have attempted to download are there. but when I try to open them in producer (show, show template, open template) some of them are there but not all. The ones that are there, I can download again and again, but the ones that are missing, are still missing no matter how many times I download them, or import them, or save them. I don't have outlook, only outlook express. I don't understand why I can bring all of them into my old computer, but not to this new computer. I keep trying different things and hopefully will hit on the right thing sooner or later. Again thanks, and if anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know. Or if there is a way to take them from my old computer and put them in the new one.
Bev

Postby northfreedom » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:04 pm

Just to let you know that I resolved the issue of being unable to download templates. I had to uninstall producer and reinstall it. I had just done that very recently, so didn't think I would have to do it again so soon. At any rate, I now have the templates to use again.
Bev

Return to PSP - Slide Styles & Templates