Duplicate Layer with dependency in Styles

Post a link to your templates that you'd like to share with other ProShow Producer users

Duplicate Layer with dependency in Styles

Postby mikeleekc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:50 am

Hi there,
Al though I am able to easily create a duplicate layer, I have not been able for this new layer to be "linked and dependent" on the original layer. By this I mean that if I change the source photo of the original layer, the duplicate will also change the photo as well.
However, I noticed this type of layer dependency exists in the layers automatically created by in-bulit styles of PSP5 such as the Backdrop Dark Framed Pan Right where layer 3 has this property and it is named as Image (Duplicate). In this case, if I change the source file of layer 2, layer 3 will change accordingly.

How do I make such a dependent layer manually?
Thanks.

--
Michael
--
Mike Lee

Re: Duplicate Layer with dependency in Styles

Postby cherub » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:47 am

Hi,
Duplicated layers cannot be linked in regular slides.
This "dependency", as you call it, is created only when you make a slide style from your slide, or a template of your entire show.

To make a slide style:
Slide Options > Slide Style >Create
OR
FX Effects > Create
OR
Tools > Manage Effects > Create

Hope this helps,

Postby im42n8 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:25 am

Actually, you can manually create the dependency ... I just wouldn't recommend it as it requires you to edit the PSH file (not for the faint of heart). Also, it's a pain to be create. It's the manual method of what happens when you create a style from a slide.

If at this point you're really interested in continuing, then open a duplicate of your show file (the "myshow.psh").
Do a search for ".templateImageId=" ... an example of which is given below.

cell[1].images[5].templateImageId=75072

where "cell[1]" is the 2nd slide,
"images[5]" is the 6th layer of that slide,
and "templateImageId=75072" is the link.

Every layer with this EXACT SAME template image ID is linked. That is, if you replace one, the others will also get replaced.

If you do go exploring (and I wouldn't recommend it until you get more experience with the program) WORK ON A DUPLICATE FILE (that is, DO NOT WORK ON THE ORIGINAL PSH File). The reason is that if you delete something that you shouldn't you'll end up with a totally useless file. ALWAYS WORK on a duplicate file.

Dale

PS the PSH file is a straight text file. Make sure you DO not save it in any other format but ASCII text. If you change the content by saving it as a word processing file (for instance), you've just created a file that ProShow cannot read... scratch one show!
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:59 am

I had no idea that's how it works! Leave it to you, Dale, to go exploring and figure out such things!

However, to my mind--and I'll bet to yours, too, Dale--it's just plain simpler to turn the slide into a style.

Michael, if you decide to create a style, make sure you uncheck "replaceable" for any layers you want saved inside the style. I'm saying this because I'm always forgetting to do this. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cherub » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:08 am

Interesting stuff, Dale. :D
But, I think that creating a slide style is so much simpler than editing the psh file.

In any case, it was an interesting question. We normally get questions about how to "unlink" the duplicated layers, so that different pictures can be used instead of the duplicates. :D

Postby im42n8 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:45 pm

I didn't say it was simple ... and I did say I didn't recommend it as a course of action. I also noted that it was PITA to do. It IS however, how it's done. It's a handy way to create or break linkages between various layers. But first, you have to know how the linking works before you can do that.

Yes, creating a slide style is simpler. But, knowing how ProShow does some its magic is key to understanding how to make effective use of the program . . . or to work around a problem without having to completely rework a slide.

After awhile you pick up a few tricks here and there on how to make effective use of ProShow. I've just done a bunch of stuff under the hood, so to speak. It's that curious nature of mine (or the engineering bent...). 8)

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby cherub » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Dale,
Nobody contradicted you :D :D
I always enjoy learning new stuff from you, as you well know !

I think that Michael, who posted the original question, had a much simpler goal in mind.
He thought that it is enough to duplicate a layer, and an automatic link is established between these duplicated layers, just as he saw that it is happening in the styles made by others.
Perhaps he was trying to prepare something for his owns styles???

I merely pointed out that the linkage happens when we create a style, and not before. That's all.

I believe that creating an artificial linkage, was not the scope of the original poster.
But, as you pointed out, it is good to know that the psh file can be edited in Notepad, and that it is possible to create (or to break) such a linkage.
Peace. :D

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 am

It didn't dawn me that, if you know how to create linked layers in the .psh file, it stands to reason you can also break them. Therefore, Dale, you are officially the dawn. 8)

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:32 am

Mona,

I knew what the original poster was asking for and you answered it with the most direct and easiest method available. However, you also said duplicated layers couldn't be linked except by doing it in a style. I knew otherwise.

I figured he (and others who read this thread) could benefit from knowing how layers are LINKED. And if they know how to do that then it becomes possible to also UNLINK layers. When you're editing a style or you're trying to work around a bug, or whatever, this is can be a very useful tip.

OK, so it's an advanced tip that's far beyond most people's needs :o but, you never know when such knowledge might prove very handy and/or useful! :D

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 am

Dale, to unlink, can you just pick a different number, any number? Or is there a pattern that needs to be adhered to in, say, how many numbers are in the ID?

Barbara

Postby Jean-Paul » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:40 am

im42n8 wrote:Mona,

I knew what the original poster was asking for and you answered it with the most direct and easiest method available. However, you also said duplicated layers couldn't be linked except by doing it in a style. I knew otherwise.

I figured he (and others who read this thread) could benefit from knowing how layers are LINKED. And if they know how to do that then it becomes possible to also UNLINK layers. When you're editing a style or you're trying to work around a bug, or whatever, this is can be a very useful tip.

OK, so it's an advanced tip that's far beyond most people's needs :o but, you never know when such knowledge might prove very handy and/or useful! :D

Dale

Hi everyone,
Yes, Mona certainly did give a solid answer to Michael's question.
Also yes, it is very interesting for everyone to know that some of us have been manipulating (editing) copies of our PSH files in order to obtain certain functions.
More importantly, this fact demonstrates clearly that there is still many very useful commands (functions) that can be implemented in future versions of ProShow.
There is still much to look forward to in the future. Hopefully sooner than later.

Have fun,
Amicalement, Jean-Paul

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Postby im42n8 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 pm

The number used to link images can be any number, positive or negative. I am not sure if an alpha-numeric value will work. But, with so many numeric combinations you can use it shouldn't be a problem. Photodex uses a random number for multiple sets of linked layers (to avoid having two different sets of linked layers using the exact same number).

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks, Dale. I'm going to have to play with it. What's the worst that can happen. That I'll break a copy of a style? Big deal. I periodically get Producer tied in knots, but that's a point of honor, right?

Barbara

Return to PSP - Slide Styles & Templates