styles with frames

Post a link to your templates that you'd like to share with other ProShow Producer users
Esteemed Member

styles with frames

Postby reptep » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:45 am

Have seen this done nd can't figure it out

Can you have a slide style for photos that will work or stay within a frame/ Been trying to figure out how. Everytime I apply a style, it seems to also affect the frame in some way Wanint to put a frame on the slide and then have pictures within the frame but apply a style to the pictures that will stay within the frame.

Thx
Todd

Re: styles with frames

Postby juicedownload » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:29 am

Hey Todd,

Do you mean another graphic layer as a frame? I know you can easily put a colored border frame around images easily, but a layered frame is a bit more difficult.

One way is to duplicate the photo layer and replace it with the frame image. Then all the movements will be the same. If this works like you want it to, then you could save the style for unlimited use in the future. Another way is to link the layer using modifiers. However, I've found an issue when converting modified layers into styles.

Tim

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:45 am

One way is to have a mask (there are multiple ways of doing this . . . this is just one approach). Assuming your "frame" is like a rectangle in which some of the middle has been removed (to create a hole through which a foto can be seen when placed behind the frame), then you will need a mask (for instance, a gradient or solid layer colored white). Size this layer so that it covers the entire opening in the frame (that is, it is smaller then the outside confines of the frame but larger than the frame window/opening).

Now, the frame will be in layer 1, the mask in layer 2, and the image in layer 3. Set the mask layer to be an intensity (grayscale) or alpha mask of depth=1 and not inverted.

That's the basics of it. Now, if you want to add multiple images you'll want to add those multple images to the mask and add some keyframes to the images to fade out / in as desired over the course of the slide time.

If you want the mask and images to move with the frame (it you want to add movement to the frame), make sure that the pan settings for the mask and images match the pan settings for the frame. An easy way to do that is to add a modifier to the pan-x and pan-y of the mask to follow the pan-x and pan-y, respectively, of the frame. Next, I would add a modifier to each of the images under the mask to follow the pan-x and pan-y settings of the MASK (not the frame). While you could have the images follow the frame too, they really depend on the movement of the mask. The mask itself depends on the frame for its movement / positioning.

Otherwise, you'll need to duplicate all keyframe settings and pan settings of the frame layer in all layers that will have the same movement as that frame layer.

Well, that's it in a nutshell. The settings you create here, including the modifier settings, will be retained in a style if you make sure that the modifier does NOT reference a layer AFTER the layer it's in. To work properly, a modifier in a style must reference a layer that is created before it. Otherwise, when the style is applied, the modifier will reference something that isn't yet created (it's written from top to bottom) and will default to something in the first layer. That's not good!

Good luck and have fun!

Dale
Last edited by im42n8 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:50 am

YEs I want a graphic frame on the slide but not have it involved in the slide style
If I duplicate the photos and then replace it, won't that be the same as just putting the graphic frame in the layer?
I saw where this person had a frame and then the pictures bhind the frame had a brush effect when the pictures changed.
I was thinking I could use the frame grphic as a backround and shrink it down so that it's not involved in the style?
Not sure that's the best way thoguh.

Postby anitaemile » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:55 am

reptep

If all you want is to put a frame in the slide , just put it in the slide AFTER you applied the style. If you want that frame on top of the slide style ( a frame, so something with borders, and empty inside) just put it as the top layer. If you want something in the back ( background) put it as the last layer in the slide.. If you want to exchange one layer with that frame layer, just drag that frame layer onto the layer you want to replace and it will take up that place.

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:58 am

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by not being involved with the style. I'm assuming then that you're creating a style that will format the slide in preparation for the addition of the frame. In this case, everything I said in the previous post applies with a minor change.

After adding the frame, make sure it's in a layer above the mask and masked image(s). Now, add the modifiers to the mask that will follow any movement of the frame (which is another reason to have the pan modifiers follow the mask vs the frame).

Make sure the frame is sized to fit over the mask (so that the images will fill with frame window).... or add the keyframes to the mask that duplicate the keyframes on the frame and then set the pan settings of each to the same values.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Dale
Thanks for the lesson.
I know how to do what you were mentioning. But what I'm trying to figure out is this.Let's say I have a grphic frame on the slide (along with the mask). Then I have, let's say 2 pictures that I want to change halfway between the start and end of slide. BUT I wnat those images to change using a slide style.. For instance. between pic 1 and 2 , I want a slide style to handle the motion, not keyframing. I think I saw one that had brush stroke style that would wipe away the first picture and in came the second picture. But it was all contained in the frame.
I apologize if I mis-read yourexplanation.

Todd

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Anita
Perhaps I am making this more difficult than I think it is. One thing is I was putting the frame in BEFORE I applied the slide style (DER..sometimes it take a minute(. No wonder the frame is moving
Let me try that this weekend to see if I can get a better handle on it.
Thanks again.

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 pm

I may be misunderstanding what you want. For one tho, you can't preposition/setup things and then apply a style selectively like it seems you're wanting to do. A style, in this case, uses whatever layers already exist on the slide to do it's magic. Unlike in a word processor where you can apply a style to a selected text, a style will work on and affect all graphical-related items on a slide.

Assuming you have the frame, the mask, and two masked images all setup in a basic setup, you can't apply a style to the slide without impacting the settings of all elements on that slide.

I don't quite know what you mean by "brush stroke" to wipe away the image. However, there's a paintbrush layer transition you can use to transition between one image and the next and that may be what you want. All you have to do is set the last keyframe of the top most image to somewhere in the middle of the slide time. Then set its layer transition with a 1s (or so) paintbrush (from left, right, top, bottom...) . . . and the next image (which should have its keyframes firewalled from start to finish) will be thus revealed during that paintbrush effect.

Each image can either be under the same mask or masked separately. If separate, the transition out layer effect can be applied to either the mask or the image . . . the effect will basically be the same. If both are under the same mask, just apply the paintbrush transition to the transition out keyframe for the uppermost layer.

Its that what you're trying to do?

Dale

Postby cherub » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Todd,
...let's say 2 pictures that I want to change halfway between the start and end of slide. BUT I wnat those images to change using a slide style.. For instance. between pic 1 and 2 , I want a slide style to handle the motion, not keyframing. I think I saw one that had brush stroke style that would wipe away the first picture and in came the second picture. But it was all contained in the frame.

Although you are in very good hands here, I would like to clarify some ProShow notions for you.

A slide style is EVERYTHING that happens in a single slide: Number of images, masks, frames, movements, changes between pictures, background - all of it!
Movements are achieved through keyframes, and they too are part of the slide style.

So, you either apply a style and get everything that the style designer prepared for you, all of it, or you create something on your own, from scratch.

It is possible to modify an existing style, but for this you must have a very good understanding on how that specific style works.

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Thank you all.
I have played around with this much more I have gotten it to work somewhat. I know it's easy but sometimes it just takes a few days to sink in.
I was applying slide style to whole slide WITH frame. Well that didn't work. So applying style before I add the frame.
Will take some tweeking to get it just right, but think my brain has finally clicked on.

Thank you all. The knowledge here is just outstanding and I appreciate your patience and experience more than you will know.

todd

Return to PSP - Slide Styles & Templates