Please... Need Help - AUDIO CAPTURE

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Please... Need Help - AUDIO CAPTURE

Postby debngar » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:55 am

Can someone help me with some settings to achieve some audio capture. I
have an .ra file I'd like to record while playing back.

I have tried Audacity, ARWizard and also Roxio that allows audio capture but
am not having any success. In the process, I have messed up my Roxio audio
capture and uninstalled, then reinstalled but it doesn't come up at all now. :-(

I think I have chosen the wrong input and output
settings and can't seem to find the right combination. I was able to do this
once some months ago but have not had success with this since.

I've looked at my system to try and match hardware in and out components
with the preference choices but something is still wrong. I hit the record
button and then play the audio through the computer but get no sound to
playback after it's finished when I go back and hit play on the recording
device.

If anyone has the time to help me with this I'd really appreciate it. I want this
particular song in a show I'm giving to my Mom for her 93rd birthday tomorrow.

Thanks

Debbie G.

Postby nannybear » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:03 am

Don't know about that but what song is it and maybe I can send it to you. I have an HP Media Center and can grab anything off a CD. Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby DanDan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:17 am

Hi Deb,
I have tried Audacity but found it cumbersome to use, especially on output. A lot of members sware by it, maybe they can help you. I use Wavepad for audio recording and simple editing. It works well for what I do. You can download the free base version as well as the masters from here. http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html
Jan's right tho, tell us what music, someone here may have it.
_Dan
Slideshows: PSG 3. & Producer, Photo Editing: PSP9, PS Elements 5.0 (begining), Google Piccasa

ProShow Hall of Fame

"What You Hear"

Postby hardsoftware » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:39 pm

Audacity recordes in its own file structure and you have to export it to convert it to wave or anyother file format, so I don't use it to record anything, but it can be used.

If you have a audio program you like to use the first thing you have to do is set the input to "What You Hear". Yes that is the name of the input you have to use in order to capture sound. Now be aware that if you do this you must start the software that is going to capture first, then start your source or sound/song that you are trying to record. After this do not use your mouse or click anything on the display until you are done recording. The reason for this is that your mouse click or window minimize/maximize sounds will be recorded too and you don't want that in the middle of your recorded song.

If you have a Sound card from soundblaster you should have the "What You Hear" input to select from.

Here is an example. I used this method to record the war canon sounds in my most recent show "Lost Hero". I did this by playing a computer game in a windowed mode and in another window I opened my audio capture software. I then staged a battle within the windowed game. When the battle started I then started recording the canon shots until I was satisfied I had enough to put in the show.

Hope this helpes.

Ben

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby DanDan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Hey Ben,
That's great info there. I had not even thought of the use of game sounds, (I'm not a gamer). Gee those canon shots sounded great, I would have never known! The only games I have on my computer are the cheesy ones that came with it. :lol: I guess I could check for sound effects though! :lol:

Thanks,
_Dan
Slideshows: PSG 3. & Producer, Photo Editing: PSP9, PS Elements 5.0 (begining), Google Piccasa

ProShow Hall of Fame

You can do this too

Postby hardsoftware » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:01 pm

I just remembered that you can also do the following to record sounds as wavs. If you have XP just click START, then ALL PROGRAMS, then ACCESSORIES, then ENTERTAINMENT, then SOUND RECORDER. When you have your source material ready, you can then start SOUND RECORDER to record, then start your source material. When the source material is done then stop the recorder, then save the file. Once saved you can edit the wave file in any audio editor to clip off the excess ends.

Ben

Return to Music Discussion