Music to Pics OR Pics to Music

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
lisco

Music to Pics OR Pics to Music

Postby lisco » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:00 am

First off, I just have to say that this is one of the greatest sites I've ever been too. I love to read all the post. It's pretty hard to do sometimes on the limited schedule I have, but great none the less. Everyone is extremely helpful in all areas.
Thanks for that!

Ok! I am going to attempt to type a something and it come out the way it's intended. Sometimes when I hear or think of a particular song, I think of what kind of show I can produce. Theme, pics, pace etc.. Is this what some of you do or do you go the opposite way and pick music for your pictures? I have been asked to make a show and am having a hard time trying to put the music and theme they want together. Should I go back to them and ask them for a few more music choices? Should I just give it time? Should I just shut up and let you all answer? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

Scott

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Music to Pics OR Pics to Music

Postby DickK » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm

lisco wrote:Is this what some of you do or do you go the opposite way and pick music for your pictures?

Yes--to both. :wink: Normally I'm building a slide show and adding the music but I can see cases where there's cool music that cries out for some visuals!

lisco wrote:I have been asked to make a show and am having a hard time trying to put the music and theme they want together. Should I go back to them and ask them for a few more music choices?

Well, if this is a paid engagement then there's nothing wrong with "the customer is always right". Do what they want and if they agree it was bad, offer to redo it for a nominal added charge.

That's one approach and depending on the client and how strongly you felt about it, you could do that. If you want to go beyond the necessary (and maybe beyond your patience or willingness to invest time), then I'd actually do both, sort of. If the music isn't working for me and I could, then I'd show the client a rough, partial cut with their choice and see if they agree. At the same time, I'd see if I could find something I liked better, put that behind the rough cut and show them. They might love it with the music you don't like or they might decide you were wonderful for the improvement.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:36 pm

Well, as Dick says, it can go either way. Usually, you are creating
a slideshow to show something and have to find music that supports
what you are trying to do. Sometimes though, you just happen
across a piece of music that *demands* you make a slide show for
it. That was the first one I posted here - at Christmas, I came across
one of those comedy spoofs and just had to do a show for it -- took
about 2 hours to put together and I still like it :D
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 9537&alb=0
if you want to see it (and you will understand why it needed a "show" )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby DanDan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:58 am

Hey Scott,
I agree with both Dick and Mike on this. Music choice is such a major part of a show. The answer to your question is yes, and yes. First look at your givens. If you have certain pictures you "have to use" that is a given. If you have certain music you "have to use" that is a given. Everthing else can be adjusted. Sometimes you might feel, "Hummm, they want these pictures, with that music", I don't think so, but I'll give it a go. Somtimes you can make it fit by using additional elements, such as captions in the right place, or a graphical element or two. It still may not be your choice. So often it is the music that will set the pace of the show, but certain types of photos demand a different pace.
There have been times, I have tried dozens of different types of music, before I felt like I had one that worked. Other times I'll be driving, listening to the radio, all of a sudden slam the brakes,... "That's it, that's the one I need".
_Dan
Slideshows: PSG 3. & Producer, Photo Editing: PSP9, PS Elements 5.0 (begining), Google Piccasa

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:05 am

Scott

We all agree music is such an important part of the show - for me, after seeing the material to go in, I just about lose sleep over the music decision, it's that important for me. I think that the music is what gives the whole show its "feel" or mood, and I think depending on that, there are even times where the sound should just cruise along quietly as a gentle backing. The show I just finished for someone came with a request for "light classical". After listening to dozens of tracks I ended up using a couple of the :wink: songs with lyrics instead, but the lyrics were just so perfect it would have been a crime to do otherwise. I say you should trust your instinct instead of your head a lot of the time, it's how I make lots of decisions

Postby logcabin07 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:47 am

Scott

Even if I have an idea for music beforehand, what I always do is set up a rough draft of all the photos and preview them several times in a silent slideshow. You never know what kind of sudden inspiration will "speak" to you then. If I'm doing this show for someone else, I'll ask them if they have any favorite songs and try to accommodate them. Of course, there are certain categories of songs that just always seem to fit with certain subjects: Jimmy Buffett for Caribbean vacation pictures, for example.

Terry

Return to Music Discussion