Poor Kevin

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Poor Kevin

Postby BarbaraC » Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 am

I love using Kevin MacLeod's music, but I don't love the fact that YouTube's little sniffer is, more and more often, claiming someone else holds the copyright to his work. This time it was his arrangement of the Brandenburg Concerto. Really? Classical music that any number of musicians have arranged and performed? I wrote to Kevin just to let him know that, once again, YouTube has struck. I'm still waiting for the day they claim something I composed belongs to someone else. It must be driving Kevin close to going postal.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Poor Kevin

Postby gpsmikey » Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 am

It's all about having the best (sleeziest?) legal staff on call. They know they can stomp on folks like Kevin because they don't have the resources to fight them in court (right has nothing to do with it - it is all about what you can get away with legally). Hopefully they will stomp on enough of the good folks like Kevin they will get together with a class action suit of some sort and actually win.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Thu May 17, 2012 10:22 am

Musicians deserve to have their work protected, but I'd swear that the deserving aren't being protected at all by this stupid system YouTube has put into place.

Google has been irritating me more and more as time has gone on. Remember when it was just a brilliant idea by some brilliant college folk? You've come a long way, baby, and you're not looking so good anymore.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Thu May 17, 2012 12:18 pm

BarbaraC wrote:You've come a long way, baby, and you're not looking so good anymore.

Barbara

I resemble that remark :twisted:

It's not about doing what is right - it is about doing what is legal that they can get away with that makes them $$$ They are not even slightly concerned about the musicians like Kevin or others. Not even on their radar.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby gpsmikey » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 pm

I felt inspired - he has a button on his site ( http://incompetech.com/ ) to donate. I like his stuff and his attitude. I donated to his cause. Be nice if others that use his music did also if they are so inclined.

mikey

Postby BarbaraC » Fri May 18, 2012 3:27 am

Kevin told me YouTube is working to fix the problem. I hope he's right. It would relieve all the honest folk of being labeled as dishonest. However, I wonder how easy it is for them to figure out which companies are, themselves, honest.

The most surprising thing is how the most blatant examples of copyright infringement on YouTube go untouched.

Barbara

Postby Oldguy » Fri May 18, 2012 4:01 am

Just wondering, as I certainly don't know!
If youtube problem is more to do with their
software database not recognizing the music
properly? There is so much music out there.

Forrest

Postby BarbaraC » Fri May 18, 2012 4:22 am

I'm not at all sure how it really works, but my take on it is that companies submit their music for use in the database, and some sort of matching system is used. So, if a company submits 30 seconds from the beginning of a piece of music, then those 30 seconds are compared with the first 30 seconds of your music, and if there's a match, a claim is made for that company. It's possible that a number of these companies are honest while others aren't. I also think the matching system isn't as well tuned as it needs to be.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby chezeury » Fri May 18, 2012 1:56 pm

I wonder, Barbara, if there is some way that people allowing their music for use under Creative Commons licenses, could add some sort of meta tags to their music, that would be some sort of digital signature. Any sample of their music samples they forward to youtube would have to match the authors data. So if you used the song " bing bang shattamattabuttu (yes, I made that up, How good am I with titles? :mrgreen: ) the meta tag would automatically tell youtube that you are uploading a specific song by so and so and who the author is what license it holds. It could then match the music to that sample, as it would easily know what it is.

This way, it would not only match against notes, but meta info also. If your song is flagged, the meta data could be checked against the lists offered by creative commons authors and if the music, title and meta data match, you come up clean. Photographs have exif info and author and extra meta tags can be added. I know when you make an mp3 in audacity, we enter Name of author, title, genre etc., perhaps their is a way to add that data also. I think companies such as Photodex etc., would have to have this data be readable of course.

Obviously, someone could figure out how to change the meta data, but they'd have to know what data went with which song and sing both had to match, it would be really hard to fool the system.

Just an idea though, heck if I would know how to do it. ! LOL
To see my slideshows visit:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chezeury
my photography can be seen at:
http://www.maggieterlecki.com

Postby BarbaraC » Fri May 18, 2012 2:57 pm

The best way would be for YouTube to root out the greedy bad apples subscribing to their system.

Barbara

Return to Music Discussion