No sound on Incompetech

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

No sound on Incompetech

Postby Diane48 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

I have been looking for music for my latest slide show today. I have just tried Incompetech as I really like the music but can't get any sound from the samples. I have tried itunes and that is working fine and I get sound when I play another slide show. I thought it may be my desktop having a hissy fit so tried these sites on my laptop...same thing...no sound from Incompetech.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues or is it my computers (or me :? ) that is having the issue!

Thank you
Cheers Diane

Re: No sound on Incompetech

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:44 pm

The first two links I tried on this page http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free ... nre=Modern seemed to work just fine (although it took a couple of seconds to start). My daughter is down visiting you folks "down under" (Melbourne) and was complaining it was "just a bit warm for her" (when she left here 2 days ago, it was about 5C - 10C ) :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Diane48 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Thank you for your reply Mikey. I followed your link which was exactly the same as I had tried previously and still no sound. I am able to download the music and play it ok, just not able to get a preview. Not sure what is happening. When I press the Play button for the preview there is no sign of buffering and I have given it at least a minute but still nothing.
I redownloaded javascript hoping that may be the problem but still no go. A mystery. Tried Jewelbeat (another favorite of mine) and am able to preview there.
If I find the solution I will let you know.
Your daughter will certainly get some warm weather here. In Port Augusta we had 4 days over 41'C at the beginning of the week. Only 38 today. It gets down to about 30'C at night. There are bad bushfires about 40K SW of here. They have been burning for about 3 days. We can smell the smoke during the night. Good weather for sitting under the airconditioner with a slideshow to do!!
Fortunately for you daughter Melbourne is a good bit cooler than here but yes it does get hot there too.

Cheers, Diane

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Hmmm - very odd. I would offer to download them and email them to you, but you say you can download them OK. I believe this comes under the heading of "ain't technology wonderful" :roll:

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Don100 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Diane,

I checked out the link to incompetech that Mikey posted and also had no difficulty hearing the previews. I tried each of the pieces and had no trouble at all. I also sampled a few other pages and experienced no difficulties with the previews. It would seem that the problem is not with the website.

BTW, I also favor that site for music. Kevin MacLeod produces a surprising array of high quality music.

Don

Postby Diane48 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Thank you Don and Mikey. As other people are not having problems I also believe it may be my computer (or me having an extra long seniors moment) :wink: It seems funny that I have not had this problem before and no changes have been made to my computer. Also seems funny that both my desktop and laptop can't preview the music!

I will try again later. I really like the music so will endevour to solve the issue.

Cheers, Diane

PS If anyone else can suggest what may be the problem I am willing to listen.

Postby slideshower » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Diane,
I went to the Incompetech link Mikey gave and I can't get any sound from the samples either! I've been listening to other things on my computer without a problem. Strange. Lucie

Postby Diane48 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi Lucie.
Well it is nice to know I'm not on my own here with this problem.
Hopefully someone will come up with a solution. I was going to contact Incompetech but not quite sure how to do that.
It just seems like the Play button is unresponsive.
I really don't want to have to download the music to work out if I would like it or not.

Cheers, Diane

I realize this is not a Producer or Photodex problem but there are so many knowledgable people here that I thought this was the best place to start.

Postby trulytango » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Maybe it's a browser issue... have you changed browser's since you last visited? Worth trying again with another browser?
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby dsprincis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:35 am

I had the same problem that you had where I could download the music but could not play it by clicking on the "play" button. This morning I found a fix for this problem that works for me.

I am using Internet Explorer 9. While in the incompetech site, I chose "Tools" from the menu. Then "Compatibility View Settings." Then I added the website. Here's a link explaining compatibility view. I hope this works for you. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... Explorer-9

Darlene

Postby Diane48 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:56 am

Darlene, that was it!! You clever lady!! I followed the instructions in the compatability video in your link. All I had to do was click on the compatability icon (looks like a page torn in half) at the top of the page and my problem was solved. My settings must have changed in an update somehow.
To think that I have wasted almost all afternoon trying to solve such a simple problem. Grrr

Thank you Darlene for solving my problem and also to Iris, Mikey and Don for their suggestions and interest.
Lucie, I hope your problem is solved too.

Cheers, Diane :D

Postby dsprincis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:13 am

Diane, I am so happy that your problem is solved (and mine, too).

Darlene

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:34 am

Thanks for the hint, that sorted my problem as well.
regards.
pd

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 am

Glad you got it sorted !! I really hate it when M$ (or others) decide to "help" me by disabling some feature to protect me from myself etc. At least they could have had a popup or something indicating "this action is being blocked" (it is a javascript that is running from the preview button).

mikey

Postby debngar » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Sometimes when visiting the site, I'm able to play a number of selections, then the play ability stops working. If I close the browser and reopen it, then paste the same URL into the addresse box and continue I can start listening again using the player in the website. I have never bothered to count how many I can listen to before it seems to break the player.

But maybe as was pointed out it's something to do with the browser. But I use Firefox most of the time and rarely use Explorer.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Next

Return to Music Discussion