NEW! Vimeo music store

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

NEW! Vimeo music store

Postby trulytango » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Re: NEW! Vimeo music store

Postby GregGp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:18 am

It appears at first glance it would be a great source for personal use, however the cost for commercial use drives the price up dramatically! The cost for commercial useage on the web is $98.00, however if instrumental music is used for background on a dvd the cost is $400.00, more for lyrical music. Am I understanding this correctly? If one purchases a song for personal use and then posts it on Photodex to share with others on Proshow Enthusiasts, would this be a violation of terms? Using a song for a dvd created for a paying customer would be cost prohibitive at $400. a song! The other concern I have is some of the artists such as Kevin Macleod have music available on other websites - will the costs be driven up due to licensing agreements with Vimeo?

Greg
GregGp

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:41 am

Greg,
I wasn't able to find where it costs $400. for commercial use. I didn't dig deeply for it either. The pricing does appear pretty straighforward.

"The pricing is as follows:

• Creative Commons licenses (free)
• Personal, non-commercial, web-use licenses ($1.99 per track)
• Commercial, web-use licenses for professional users ($98 per track)

For people creating video slideshows for personal use, you’ll find hundreds of free tracks available as part of their Creative Commons license and some really great options at just $1.99 per track."

Kathy

Postby trulytango » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:46 am

There's a lot of FREE music under Creative Commons Licensing worth listening to, that just requires a credit or a link back to the musician's site :!:

Lots of us already use Kevin Macleod's music and are aware of his own unique website - he has recently requested that people 'Donate' if they intend posting projects that contain his music to Youtube, and I have done just that for each of the tracks I have used in my demos 8)

What I found interesting about this new Vimeo site, is that it opens the awareness door giving us access to other musicians like Kevin.

Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:01 am

Iris - I forgot to say Thanks for sharing this. :oops: It is a great find!

Kathy

Postby GregGp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:08 am

Kathy,

The info regarding additional cost is under the Learn More faq link http://www.vimeo.com/faq/music_store.

Iris,
I too forgot to say thanks for sharing the link :D Didn't mean to muddy up your post, or get a copyright / licensing discussion going. It looks like Vimeo's Music Store is going to be a great resource for royalty free music and exposure to additional artists, sure beats web surfing in search of the perfect song! My point was that those who are creating shows for profit need to be aware of additional fee structure for commercial use. To me it doesnt look like it would be an economically viable source given the fee's associated with commercial usage.

Greg

I emailed Vimeo and got a quick reponse back regarding the commercial license fee.

Hello Greg,

Thanks for reaching out. The dvd rate is meant for professional film distribution. However, if you are selling the product to clients or using it for anything other than personal sharing, you would need the $98 license. The $1.99 will cover your personal videos and slideshows.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jenn

The $98 license fee is still steep and hard to pass on the cost to clients in my opinion.
Last edited by GregGp on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregGp

Postby trulytango » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:17 am

Guys! It was hardly a 'find'... it was posted today over on the Photodex Blog. I check in there from time to time, in other words - when I remember!

TTFN

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:23 pm

The majority of people are in bad need of royalty-free music, given that YouTube will strip out copyrighted music the moment it smells it. (Wish I could use the Vimeo stuff for my demos. :( )

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:59 pm

trulytango wrote:There's a lot of FREE music under Creative Commons Licensing worth listening to, that just requires a credit or a link back to the musician's site :!:

Good for personal use but generally this does not include commercial use which would include using it in a show you made for sale to someone.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby trulytango » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Dick... yes, not all of the Creative Commons licensing is as liberal as I may have implied in the post earlier on. But if you go to the main Vimeo Store interface, choose the 'Music Search' tab and click on *advanced options, you can quickly search under 'License' for 'a license that allows for commercial use', then under 'Provider' you can choose 'Free music archive'.

Again, what I like about this new site is the range of named (and contactable) artists getting exposure and the amount of stuff that is free, even for commercial use, which I understand would include the 1) the attributed use of a track to accompany a two-bit product demos up on Youtube, 2) an attributed track added to single DVD/show I might make for someone else (either paid or for free), 3) an attributed track accompanying a personal show uploaded to Vimeo, Youtube or Photodex.

Iris :?

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:20 am

I used your search method, Iris, and the first thing I spotted was that the list is chock full of our beloved Kevin MacLeod. I would have spent a lot more time there, but my eyes gave out, which is unfortunate since I'm sure there must be gems sitting in there. Eyes giving out? Reason: light gray text on white. I don't understand this new fad of making text as difficult to read as possible by making it tiny and/or lacking in contrast.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby ozphoto » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:59 am

Go to http://www.jewelbeat.com

All songs are .99 cents and come complete with license to use pretty much anywhere.

Return to Music Discussion