YouTube strikes again

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

YouTube strikes again

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:59 pm

I downloaded a royalty-free Bach piece performed by a pianist who gives permission to use his work as long as he receives credit. I then used it with a video, and YouTube immediately claimed the copyright belonged to some musical society somewhere. I've contacted the musician, who's understandably disturbed.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: YouTube strikes again

Postby debngar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:10 pm

Though it's a pain, it helps to post in the description, the permission you were given for the use of the music to cover your behind. You can type something like this:

Title:
Composer: Bach
Performer:
Publisher:

When/if my videos get tagged, I just dispute it and include all the pertinent music license information that it's been licensed through whatever company I bought it from. I've only had to do that 2 or 3 times so far. The latest 3 or so shows I've had no trouble with but that's not to say it can't happen again.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I started to use the dispute form but then saw it was for people whose soundtrack has been removed. Is that the one you used in spite of the soundtrack still being there?

Barbara

Postby debngar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:31 pm

I don't remember exactly what the message YouTube displays but it's something about the video being flagged for potential copyright infringement or something like that. I don't remember having any of the music I've used being stripped out.

From an outsider's viewpoint, I'm not seeing any message that the video is flagged. That might only show up for you in your channel's video list where you have a place to edit them etc. as the user and author.

I would dispute it immediately, yes, else you may wind up with ugly ads you don't want stuck to your video. Besides the normal title, composer and performer info etc I'd also include in the description area the performer's website to help show you have right to use it according to what's posted there. Not much else you can do. I think YouTube will leave that show alone at that point. You may not ever hear from them once you dispute it and it can still happen to other shows in the future. We're at their mercy at this point. :|
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:34 pm

I'll go do it now. It certainly can't hurt anything to try.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Here's the thread where I described the message I got from YouTube about the dispute. If "Go Digital" is the company that's in the middle of this, they are trying to harass a bunch of people apparently and often without merit. But it's important to not ignore the message and to dispute the charge else I think they may put the ugly ads on your video as I said in the post above.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15896
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Thank goodness it isn't them. Instead, it seems to be some classical music group, but I wouldn't be surprised if the little robot that runs around sniffing the first 15 seconds or so of the soundtrack thinks that Bach is still alive. :D

Barbara

Postby Ron » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:55 pm

but I wouldn't be surprised if the little robot that runs around sniffing the first 15 seconds or so of the soundtrack thinks that Bach is still alive.

Barbara I truly appreciate your command of the English language!
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:16 am

I truly appreciate your command of the English language

Thank goodness our blabber can't get arthritis. :D

Barbara

Postby AMD » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:14 am

Barbara,
A few weeks ago I got a similar message from YouTube regarding a show with music that was licensed to me; I immediately did a very quick dispute response and it almost immediately went away. My music--as I recall--was a SonicFire piece.

Ann

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:58 am

I'm hearing of this happening more and more frequently. YouTube is huge and requires detection software that doesn't necessarily get it right, and so maybe it's time they took a better look at the software, particularly if the number of disputes is on the increase, which certainly defeats the purpose of having it automated in the first place. :D

Barbara

Return to Music Discussion