If you are searching for Royalty Free Music...

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

If you are searching for Royalty Free Music...

Postby suegroovey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:35 pm

I notice that there has been quite a few requests on how to find royalty free and I thought I'd chip in.
I am from http://www.opuzz.com/ and we have a great selection of true royalty free music that is 100% royalty free worldwide. Our music starts from $2.99 and can be a lot cheaper with CD purchases per track. We have over 300 CDs and have one of the largest selection around. You can purchase by individual downloads, CDs or hard drive. Thank you for the time.

Re: If you are searching for Royalty Free Music...

Postby juicedownload » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks for the post. Certainly adds more audio selections for the next time I need some quality music.

Tim

Postby dcloud » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:41 pm

You could also try opsound.org. The songs there are a little harder to sort through but you don't have to buy them to use them. (Opuzz does have multiple-length versions of each song per disc.) They're free to use, adapt, copy, remix and rearrange and sell. They're made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license which means you have to give credit to the composer and make your work available under the same conditions. Still, they're FREE.

Postby debngar » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:01 pm

CAUTION: I clicked on one of the OPSOUND.com mp3 songs under "acoustic" genre and Norton told me it was an ATTACK PAGE. I will never use opsound.com , nor ever visit that site again.

dcloud wrote:You could also try opsound.org. The songs there are a little harder to sort through but you don't have to buy them to use them. (Opuzz does have multiple-length versions of each song per disc.) They're free to use, adapt, copy, remix and rearrange and sell. They're made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license which means you have to give credit to the composer and make your work available under the same conditions. Still, they're FREE.

If using the music from opsound means giving up the copyrights to my images, I personally wouldn't choose to do that and would instead find somewhere else to get music that doesn't have that requirement. Besides, the site is apparently malicious according to Norton.

Be careful... If you're using someone else's pictures to create your slide shows, you cannot give up the rights to those images since you don't own the copyright to the images in the first place.

I see this as a potential can of worms! :shock:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby slideshower » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi,
Stock20 (royalty free music) is giving away a free song right now - $20.00 value. http://www.stock20.com/commerce/index.php. They seem to have different promotions regularly. Lucie

Postby juicedownload » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Last year, I downloaded every song from opsound.org using a few methods to automate the process. My findings: it's almost entirely junk (that's just my opinion though).

For better music with a creative commons license you're better off with jamendo.com or tribeofnoise.com. These are the largest cc licensed collections I know of.

Tim

Postby suegroovey » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:43 am

Hi Tim,

Well if you ever need any help, do contact my colleague Vivian that can help you with finding the right music. She can be contacted at viv at opuzz dot com. Thanks.

Sue

Postby dcloud » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:34 am

debngar wrote:
CAUTION: I clicked on one of the OPSOUND.com mp3 songs under "acoustic" genre and Norton told me it was an ATTACK PAGE. I will never use opsound.com , nor ever visit that site again.

If using the music from opsound means giving up the copyrights to my images, I personally wouldn't choose to do that and would instead find somewhere else to get music that doesn't have that requirement. Besides, the site is apparently malicious according to Norton.

Be careful... If you're using someone else's pictures to create your slide shows, you cannot give up the rights to those images since you don't own the copyright to the images in the first place.

I see this as a potential can of worms! :shock:

I have downloaded music from opsound with no warnings from my virus/firewall software and no problems after. You don't give up rights to your images, you just have to make available to others any music from their site that you may adapt in any way. And if you choose to upload your own music you agree to let others use it as well. (I am not affiliated with opsound in any way.)

Postby debngar » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:51 am

dcloud wrote:-snip-

I have downloaded music from opsound with no warnings from my virus/firewall software and no problems after. You don't give up rights to your images, you just have to make available to others any music from their site that you may adapt in any way. And if you choose to upload your own music you agree to let others use it as well. (I am not affiliated with opsound in any way.)

Glad you didn't have trouble. Personally, I'd rather use sites that don't give me this warning. Better to be safe than sorry.

QUOTED From the opsound website:

any derivative works (anything you make using the sound files) be licensed under the same license (share alike)

Once music from that website is used in our shows, the show is then considered a derivative work according to the website. I personally would not choose to license my work under the same license. If the person who you're doing the slide show for does not own the copyright to the images they CANNOT agree to this (to put the show into public domain or establish the show and contents to be used in CC manor) because they don't own the copyright to the photos. They have no legal right to do that. The copyright holder is the only person who has the say where and how those images or video can be used or licensed.

If you choose to ignore that, good luck not being sued by the copyright holder of the show images! One day that just decision might turn around and bite you in the rear!
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby dcloud » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Deb - You're probably right on both counts, "Better to be safe than sorry". When my anti-virus software puts out a warning I tend to steer away also. I am certainly not qualified to debate copyright law and fortunately my amazing creations are not likely to start a battle over who wants the rights to them. Happy Waitangi Day!

Return to Music Discussion