legal use of stock music on itunes

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

legal use of stock music on itunes

Postby christiupton » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:55 pm

In searching for music that I can legally use in my shows, I saw that stock music is available on itunes, but the terms of use is not clear. In fact, it's not only "not clear" it's no where that I could find. I know with certainty when I buy a photo from istock or a song from triple scoop what I can and cannot do with it. But I have no idea about stock music on itunes. Anybody?

Re: legal use of stock music on itunes

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:14 pm

I don't know about Itunes (never use it), but if you do a search of the forums here, you can find a number of other sources for "royalty free music". Several of them are:

http://www.stock20.com/commerce/index.php
http://www.smartsound.com/specials/index.html
http://www.digitaljuice.com/
http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

I have used music from all of the ones I listed with good results. There are many more (and they are usually pretty clear about the licensing terms).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:19 pm

christiupton wrote:In searching for music that I can legally use in my shows, I saw that stock music is available on itunes, but the terms of use is not clear. In fact, it's not only "not clear" it's no where that I could find. I know with certainty when I buy a photo from istock or a song from triple scoop what I can and cannot do with it. But I have no idea about stock music on itunes. Anybody?

There is a lot of legal stuff on the site through the link at the very bottom of the page where it says "Terms of Use".

But they don't make it easy to find specifics regarding the use of the music purchased from them. My guess is you can't use it for slide shows, or at best, maybe for personal use and certainly not for commercial use. But like I said, it's a guess, so don't take it from me. It's probably best to contact them and get the answer straight from the horses-mouth.

I don't know if things have changed but a long time ago, their m4p format was protected and was not compatible for use in ProShow without a lot of hassle to change the format. It wasn't worth the hassle to me. So except for the one purchase, a long time ago, I haven't bought any more music from them since.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby christiupton » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:03 am

I think you are probably right Debbie, but it does say "stock" music and who wants stock music if not for a project of some sort? :roll: I mean who sits around listening to stock music just for personal enjoyment? And wouldn't it be nice if they could just make it explicit and easy to find? Thanks for the response.

Postby debngar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:00 am

christiupton wrote:I think you are probably right Debbie, but it does say "stock" music and who wants stock music if not for a project of some sort? :roll: I mean who sits around listening to stock music just for personal enjoyment? And wouldn't it be nice if they could just make it explicit and easy to find? Thanks for the response.

I didn't see the specific "stock" ID on that music until I just went back to the site again... So sorry.

But it seems to me the only way to find out is to email and ask them about the TOU in regards to the stock music. Logically, people would buy that to use in a show so they CAN use it commercially. But the music's TOU might differ from selection to selection. This is why I would email them to find out for sure.

Let us know what you find out! I'm sure others will be curious to know too. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby cinderellen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Is anyone familiar with Square Peach Music?

http://square-peach.com/index.html

Unless I'm missing something there are very few strings attached and the mp3s are only $2.29 each - also available in packages. Anyone have any experience with them???

Here are the Terms of Use:

Square Peach Mp3s Terms Of Use

Any and all mp3s purchased from Square Peach can be used for any type of media or website project, business, personal, website, video and film production, presentations, corporate events, commercial promos and film, Powerpoint or other presentations, distributed as part of a CD application or DVD movie. Can be used as part of a media application like a film, website or software program and may be freely distributed with any of these applications.

Unlimited Use:

Mp3s can be used on an unlimited number of projects or applications. There are no reuse fees for any project or projects the purchaser has created. Purchaser may not distribute any mp3 files to other parties, corporations or individuals unless the mp3s are part of (used in conjunction with) a film, media, DVD, presentation, website or software package.

Square Peach Mp3s can be freely distributed as part of any commercial or non-commercial media, video, website, CD, DVD, presentation or software package.

Limitations:

Mp3s may not be resold individually or as mp3 groups. The mp3 files may not be distributed to other individuals (given to) other than as part of a media package created or produced by the original purchaser.

Purchaser may not claim copyrights on any mp3s sold on this website. Mp3 recording credit to Square Peach may be included in any project or website, but is not required.

Credits:

Mp3 recording and copyright credit to Square Peach Music does not need to be included for any project.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm

No experience, but those terms are about as good as they come. That's basically the same as Digital Juice's terms and it doesn't get any clearer for what you can do with it. The tracks I listened to are similar in character, too. Most if not all are heavy on synthesizers (I'm generally fine with that but others may not be) but the acoustic guitar and piano sounded pretty good to me.

On a per-track basis, those seem expensive compared to some other sources I've seen , especially if they run special sales, but if you buy the groups it's not bad.

Interesting find, thanks for sharing.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby christiupton » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:09 am

Thanks Cinderellen for the Square Peach tip! There is definitely some music there I can use. I thought I had found all the legal cheap/free slide show music sources on the net. :)

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:58 am

Very interesting - thanks for the link.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to Music Discussion