THANKS - Groovy Flower Power Retro Music

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

THANKS - Groovy Flower Power Retro Music

Postby debngar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:03 am

I'm looking for royalty free music to fit a "Woodstock" or "Flower Power" late 60's theme. I specifically remember Digital Juice having a particular Stack Trax for that genre that would have been perfect but I don't have that one and Digital Juice doesn't sell Stack Trax any longer. :(

I checked Kevin MacLeod, Shockwave-sound and Smart Sound sites and some of the other bookmarked sites I have on hand but none seem to have what I'm looking for.

Any other sites that might have some choices for that kind of music to purchase for Royalty Free license use? I can't use regular copyrighted music as the show will probably be up on YouTube for public viewing.
Last edited by debngar on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Re: Looking For Groovy Flower Power Retro Music

Postby debngar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:02 am

lahazard wrote:Here is one collection....

http://www.pdinfo.com/Music2Hues/Flash-Back-60s.php#

Thanks so much for your response. I looked at that one already though. So sorry I didn't state that in the first post. :oops:

I have one Music2Hues collection (not that one) and they are fairly reasonable at $48 for a CD/collection.

I may have to resort to buying that one if I can't find anything else that "turns me on". :D I had a particular Digital Juice Stack Trax song/CD in mind (forgot the number) but am not having much luck.

I'll keep looking.
Debbie

Postby Oldguy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:03 pm

Dawn Music has a lot of 60's stuff, royalty free

http://www.dawnmusic.com/

Forrest

Postby debngar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Oldguy wrote:Dawn Music has a lot of 60's stuff, royalty free

http://www.dawnmusic.com/

Forrest

Thanks for that link - looks to be a potential resource for some projects. I looked pretty thoroughly but it doesn't seem like they have what I'm looking for. All the 60's stuff is either do-wap or surfing, none of what I had in mind yet. :roll:
Debbie

Postby Ron » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Deb
Was just wondering why your limiting yourself to royalty free music on You Tube? I don't really post to You Tube but from what I see & told non royalty free (copyrighted) music is allowed on You Tube. They create a banner to buy the song that can easily be x'd out. They may also ban it from certain other countries as well but neither should affect you. With all the great real 60's music out there I was just wondering why? Seems You Tube is so big that maybe they made arragements with the Biggies in the industry.
Maybe something you could check out - just a thought!
Ron
PS: I'm definitely not promoting the stealing of copyright material.
PSS; What a Great Era - Peace Out
Last edited by Ron on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Deb,

Can you name a few groups or artists (or songs) you are thinking of in terms of the sound you are looking for? That would be helpful in pinpointing other options.

Louis

Postby debngar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:25 pm

richichi wrote:Hi Deb
Was just wondering why your limiting yourself to royalty free music on You Tube? I don't really post to You Tube but from what I see & told non royalty free (copyrighted) music is allowed on You Tube. They create a banner to buy the song that can easily be x'd out. They may also ban it from certain other countries as well but neither should affect you. With all the great real 60's music out there I was just wondering why? Seems You Tube is so big that maybe they made arragements with the Biggies in the industry.
Maybe something you could check out - just a thought!
Ron
PS: I'm definitely not promoting the stealing of copyright material.

Hi Ron,

Looks to me like the only stuff in the YouTube "audio swap" feature is all indie artists and no songs I've ever heard before. YouTube's co-partner "Friendly Music" is just another avenue for unknown indie artist music and can only be used for the $1.99 price if it's for non-commercial use, else you have to re-negotiate for commercial use. There is no authentic retro music choices there.

I'm curious as to where you found YouTube availability of older late 60's or early 70's copyrighted music for commercial use?

Also, I would prefer to have control over the timing and application of the music in my show, not to just swap the music on the YouTube site.

by lahazard on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:00 pm
Deb,

Can you name a few groups or artists (or songs) you are thinking of in terms of the sound you are looking for? That would be helpful in pinpointing other options.

Louis

Hi Louis,

Does this help?

http://amzn.to/Flower-Power-Music

I can't say exactly what song I want until I get a few to choose from and try them out. But that site shows a variety of ones to choose from of the style I'm looking for. I just haven't settled on exactly what yet and since I can't use copyrighted music, my choices seem limited at this point. Still looking though. :) I'm only half finished with the post processing of the pictures I'm using in the show anyways so it may be at least another week until I get to needing a song.

I can't use that "Flower-Power-Music" source though because of it's terms of use restrictions. Those are only for personal use and no synchronization license is given with that purchase.

The "Lava Lamp" and "Summertime Blue" selections from Music2Hues may be a potential fit. But I still want to keep looking.
Debbie

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi Deb,

I think Ron's -- and my -- confusion comes from your comment in the first post that the video may wind up on youtube for public viewing. Showing videos on youtube using copyrighted music is generally okay, though certain countries may block it, most notably Germany. If on the other hand, you're creating a show to sell, but also show on youtube, that would be a different story.

His suggestion was to just use whatever song you want. Youtube has an interesting way of determining if it's a commercial song, and if so, they put a banner ad on the bottom of the slideshow, which can be x'd out by the viewer. I was really surprised that they managed to figure out the song from the show I posted last, as it's very obscure and there are many more artists with songs of the same name.
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby debngar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:31 pm

I need to put it on YouTube. Though some people get away with using copyrighted music on YouTube, I don't wish to chance having the audio stripped or the entire show removed. I'd rather play it safe and use a piece of music I don't have to worry about.

I know another Producer user who has tried to use copyrighted music in a number of productions. But YouTube kept stripping out the audio that person's slideshows. I want to avoid that. :|

Thanks for your thoughts. :D
Debbie

Postby Ron » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Deb
I wasn't talking about audio swap - This was only my 2nd video uploaded to You Tube - Last week I
uploaded a video with 4 songs on it - 20th Century Fox Intro Theme, Remember When - Alan Jackson, Beautiful Day - U2, Wedding March - I forget - These 4 songs were not blocked or was there an audio swap with any of them. The songs remained as the were uploaded - What did occur was that a lower third banner appearred that rolled from song to song giving the viewer an opportunity to purchase the song - This was easily removed by clicking the "x" in the upper right corner.

I then received 3 emails from You Tube (not 4) basically stating that I was using copyrighted material, but they went on to say that I didn't need to do anything except the music would not be playing in some foreign countries. So I assumed the lower third banner was sufficient for their needs.

Below is one of the emails received, they were all the same except the license holders name changed.
The section that says visit link to see how it effect your video is in regards to the dozen or so foreign countries that it is not allowed in - none of which was a concern to me.

Thats why I assumed that you may use regular music!! I've since deleted the show as I only used it for the client to preview & OK the show. I didn't have their permission to keep it online.
Maybe someone else here, with You Tube knowledge can jump in here. Also there are so many performers doing covers of so many songs everywhere on the Tube, I'm certain they do not have permission. ???????????????????????
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby debngar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:44 pm

The section that says visit link to see how it effect your video is in regards to the dozen or so foreign countries that it is not allowed in - none of which was a concern to me.

Ok well I'll have to look into that to see how it might or might not apply in my case. But usually there is a restriction if the music has a commercial slant to the use. Artists want to be paid for "air" time and I don't blame them for wanting their fair share of the deal.
Debbie

Postby debngar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:06 pm

Looking further into this it appears YouTube's "Content ID Matches" are still considered copyright infringements. So whether or not the copyright owner decides to pull the audio and/or video doesn't matter. IMO What matters is that with every hit a person gets on their videos that are associated with copyrighted infringement means a person can be sued for more money. Maybe that's why they let them stay for a longer time before doing anything about them!

I won't take the chance in that case. If I ever decide to "Partner" with YouTube (and I've been asked, by the way) the copyright infringement status posted to an account sticks. It looks like YouTube will not "partner" with a user who has ever had a "Content ID Match" associated with their YouTube account.

Here's the link to specifics from YouTube about the Content ID tool:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/b ... swer=83766
Debbie

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:03 pm

As far as artists go, their feelings will depend quite a bit on their general exposure. Artists who are already popular seem to see it as an infringement, while those who want more exposure tend to see it as a plus. I've gotten permission from two of the artists I've used (out of the two that I asked) and just a few days ago another sent me an English translation of a song of his that I used for a show. Record companies are generally another beast altogether, though again, with the type of artists I use even they tend to see the exposure as a plus. I know four or five label owners, a couple of whom frequently link to youtube videos on their Facebook newsfeeds.

As far as suits are concerned, record companies are going after P2P networks because they share CD quality versions of entire albums and discographies. Sites like Rapidshare and its ilk host many thousands of complete albums and movies as well. At this point youtube pales in significance. Even Metallica and Paul McCartney, two artists who have been the most vocal about pirating, have hundreds -- probably thousands -- of videos of their music on youtube by people who post hundreds of songs.

Much of the above is shared for general discussion rather than trying to coerce you into doing what you don't feel is safe to do :) .
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby Ron » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi Deb
I thank you for that link and it does provide a lot of good info - Yes I believe you have interpeted their policy correctly and my thoughts are not correct. At this point I'm glad I have no postings up on You Tube for I surely don't want to receive any copyright infringement letters in the future. Better safe than sorry!
AS you stated you won't take that chance is a policy that I will follow as well. Thanks for clearing it up for me. It just seemed since they allowed it , it must be ok - well that ain't true is it....

I follow an older musician (podline66) who just does covers - he has hundreds of songs in his You Tube library (as do many others), each song for every day posted could mean thousands of dollars - why would they take such a chance?
Thanks again Deb
Ron

Next

Return to Music Discussion