Music industry would rather the music be lost forever. . .

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
Esteemed Member

Music industry would rather the music be lost forever. . .

Postby Mac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:13 am

. . . than risk losing any cent of profit. That's about the only conclusion we can take from this insanity, in which a man who wishes to convert decaying piano rolls to mp3 before they cannot be saved. His quote from a man whose company still owns some of the music:

"We ended up agreeing that if I made an mp3 recording of less than 30 seconds, off an old roll, from a company that was completely out of business, kept it completely for my own use and locked up so no one else could hear it, that I probably would not be sued. He also begged me not to use any of his company rolls in this task, as he really did not want to have to sue me. I thanked him for his time."

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100712/18325210185.shtml
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Re: Music industry would rather the music be lost forever. . .

Postby tdew » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:21 am

I have a bunch that are in need of preserving too. I'd better keep them private though...

Postby heckydog » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Probably didn't want to set a precedent. :?

But it's interesting that the gentleman would want to preserve the music with mp3's. It's hardly the best format for preservation purposes. I would think a wav or flac file would make more sense.

And, why isn't somebody trying to re-create the rolls themselves using a material that would be longer lasting than paper? Player pianos would probably be one of the earliest examples of digital music, if not the first, and certainly have a unique spot in the history of modern music. . . . . . .imho :lol:

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:43 pm

It's possible he may have been saying mp3 because it's such a commonly known format. It's also possible that someone could be working on such a preservation technique, though how much one would be willing to spend and how affordable such a broad recovery would also present questions.
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Return to Music Discussion