Do you try to match the words to the show?

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Re: Do you try to match the words to the show?

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:56 am

Don, this one goes into my slim collection of all-time favorites. You've always been able to choose just the right song for the right show, but this choice is pinpoint perfect. Add that to your excellent show-making abilities, and as far as I'm concerned, you're my hero.

Ladies, if you're anything like me, you're gonna get a tad weepy, take my word for it.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby kabeeo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 am

A great example is Hunny's Stronger Than Before, which was just great:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho%20...%200672&alb=0

I hope she does not mind my using her as an example.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby HunnyB » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Awww, thanks. I do not mind at all.
But you are right --- that is a good example of a show needing lyrics.
Thank you.
That has been a whole year since my ordeal. GOD IS GOOD. :D
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby tdew » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Don, WOW! That definitely is a show where the words not only fit but are deeply embedded into the show. It is beautiful.
Barbara was right, it did make me a little teary.

I didn't mean to suggest that vocals never should be a part of a show, only that when the lyrics don't seem to relate to anything in the show it's distracting.

The link doesnt' work for me for Hunny's show, but I'd like to see that one too. I'm sure it's another good example of when the two come together as they should.

Terry

Postby kabeeo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:43 am

You are right. As good as they can be when they are right they can be equally distracting if they don't fit the show. That's why it is so hard to pick the right songs and why I go crazy trying to do it every year. As I said I needed a closing song for my daughter's fourth grade show this year and went out of my mind on YouTube until I found something which I finally did quite by accident.

I also don't really have a feel for nor a library of instrumentals and should probably work on that. I do enjoy the shows of others that use instrumentals.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby debngar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:01 pm

tdew wrote:-snip-

The link doesnt' work for me for Hunny's show, but I'd like to see that one too. I'm sure it's another good example of when the two come together as they should.

Terry

Here's that link to Hunny's show Terry.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 0672&alb=0
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby debngar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:08 pm

weldr wrote:I shared this show with Barbra, she thought it was a good example of words fitting the song. It's a bit over 2 minutes, nothing objectionable except pictures of me. Thanks, Don http://www.photodex.com/share/weldr/bkdg8mg4

Don,

You tossed this very sweet show inside this thread where I wasn't expecting it. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it immensity! :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:21 pm

I like to use both. Sometimes vocal oriented songs fit the bill and one doesn't have to always worry about the lyrics. In fact, trying too hard to make lyrics fit can be a distraction as well. A couple of 'for instances':

On one of our annual vacations I bought a disc of English songs from the 30s and 40s. We listened to the disc so many times on that trip that just hearing the songs reminded us of vacation, so they were perfect for the show. After all, the show is for us to enjoy the memories together. I also listen to a lot of foreign language music, in which case the vocals are just another musical instrument. This year we went on a cruise to Bermuda so I'll be using reggae music for my background and to be honest, reggae music without vocals would be pretty lame :wink:

Another example is when we watch a movie and they have a soundtrack playing in the background to the visuals. Many times these soundtracks are made with vocals that are used to convey moods that aren't always strictly in line with the action. How many times have you heard a song and not been able to understand all the lyrics; even when you understand all the lyrics sometimes they're so metaphorical or surreal we don't understand the meaning anyway, yet the songs strike an emotional chord.

Shows for school classes? Whatever the kids are listening to will be the music to use. A show for a class reunion? The music the alumni used to listen to. Do the songs have to be about graduation? Of course not. Music often takes us to a time and place, within or without a slide show. Each Beatles album takes me to the period of my childhood that the album came out. Remember the music of summers when radio was our major source of musical exposure? Remember how those songs resonated and still often bring back summer memories?

Mind you, I'm not going to take 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' and make a slide show with it (hmmm), but I think you know what I mean!
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby tdew » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:21 pm

debngar wrote:Here's that link to Hunny's show Terry.
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 0672&alb=0

Thank you. Yes, that was another perfect match of show and vocals. What a wonderful song!

Esteemed Member

Postby joemav57 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:27 pm

weldr wrote:I shared this show with Barbra, she thought it was a good example of words fitting the song. It's a bit over 2 minutes, nothing objectionable except pictures of me. Thanks, Don http://www.photodex.com/share/weldr/bkdg8mg4

Great song!!! The song works well with the photos. Very beautiful.
PSP 7, Photoshop CS6, Nikon D3100.

Postby TC Time » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Thank You to those of you that have posted links of examples for us all to learn from! For those of us that are newer to the forum, we might not have otherwise seen these great shows :D
TC
TCTime

Postby zelda53 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:43 am

Wow,
There seems to be two different schools of thought here and I think it depends on the show. When I do a personal show for family I want the emotional connection to the song and,sometimes, I can actually move slides around so that they match up with the vocal. But when doing shows for others I might lean towards suggesting that they use instrumentals.
I did a baby shower show for a couple in their twenties. The two music tracks, what can I say, they were horribly mismatched with the theme and it was very hard to get past that. And others who viewed my show, I made 10 copies hoping for word of mouth business, might not care for the show because of the music.
I think that is why most major websites that produce slideshows have a list of suggested music that works!
Jane

Postby Ron » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:34 am

Hi All
I also believe there is a place for both depending on the subject matter & or the client. To lock yourself in to just one or the other just stifles your creativity IMHO.
I also wanted to state that I find more & more tv shows using vocal music in their productions, much more now than ever in the past. So I think they even realize that both forms work well.
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby FL Views » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:21 pm

I too typically use instrumental music... its often hard enough to match the beat of the music with the effects and photos, never mind matching it to lyics of a song. I recently was asked to do a show for a wedding of the bride and groom as they were growing up. The mother of each picked songs which had lyics. I found it interesting to match the portions of the show to the lyics and it actually, for the most part, worked out.....

Michael

kele

Postby kele » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Yes, I almost always do. The music always matches the theme of the show; but I mostly do travel videos (ie, from family vacations). So, Disney music for WDW. When we went to London, all the music had to be either about England/London or by a British artist; Hawaii--ditto (I used Ray Charles' "America" for the pictures of Pearl Harbor, the Missouri, and the National Cemetery of the Pacific). My shows aren't necessarily about the great photography; its about us. And I like having songs that enhance the mood with vocals. It can definitely be challenging, but I think I have done pretty well with it so far!

Previous

Return to Music Discussion