Finding Music Sources Frustrating

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Finding Music Sources Frustrating

Postby ozphoto » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:53 am

One of most frustrating thing in creating shows is finding music. I have searched in vain and a lot of sites use licensing and credit structures, For example to use one instrumental piece they want $29.95 a song! Dont' get me wrong I am willing to pay. If I can get an Itunes song for .99 cents CDN why can't I get a modern upbeat instrumental song for the same price?

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places? I did find freeplay music but the music is pretty dated. The music for demos on the Photodex web sites is super but where did they get these pieces?

As anyone compiled a list of sites for us Pro Show types or can you suggest some sites to go?

I am getting desperate.

Esteemed Member

Re: Finding Music Sources Frustrating

Postby Mac » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:29 am

Are you selling the shows you're creating? Personally, I much prefer music that I listen to from the relatively vast selection of music that I have.

I would imagine that Photodex' slideshows use music that's available on their media packs?
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby ozphoto » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:43 am

Unfortunately I don't have this type of music in my collection, so that is why I am looking for lots of sources.

I don't think Photodex supplies music in their packs, they once told me to google for some.

Postby scorpion » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:50 am

I just posted a similar question myself. I'm also trying to find a place to get music. I'm not sure where you live but I am in Canada and we're limited to where we can buy online. The few places I have found have such a poor selection at best. I just wish there was just one place to find what we want.
Steve

Postby ozphoto » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:11 am

I am in Canada as well, and just need a list of sites?? or suggestions on where to get the music. Like I said earlier the music on the Photodex web site they use for demos of their products is fantastic, just wish I knew where they purchased it.

Postby ginger » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:22 am

ozphoto wrote:I don't think Photodex supplies music in their packs, they once told me to google for some.

Hi,

Photodex does offer some nice music in their templates/all-in-one shows. Check these out:

http://www.photodex.com/products/mediasource

ginger

Postby Bart_B » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:23 am

For what it's worth I've noticed a lot but not all by any stretch of the music in the Demo's are contained in Photodex's MediaSource products which are available for sale.

http://www.photodex.com/products/mediasource

Hope this helps.

Bart

Postby ozphoto » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks folks I just played some of the samples and they are crafted to their media source templates, not a lot there but thanks for the suggestions.

Perhaps someone will post a bunch of decent sites with decent pricing???

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:35 am

Not knowing how interested you are in looking for different music, I'll just make this suggestion: look for appropriate music on youtube, download the videos and split the audio. If you like the music, buy the album if you wish to support the artists (These are all commercial artists so the assumption is that you're making shows for private use).

I also don't know what type of music you're looking for, so I'll just post a few (of many scores) of instrumental artists you might find interesting:

Steve Tibbetts (the song "Ur" would make great slideshow music)
Andreas Vollenweider - Vollenweider plays the harp, which I think would be another great choice for slideshow music
Klaus Schultz
Tangerine Dream
Vangelis
Mike Oldfield
Pekka Pohjola
Pierre Morlein's Gong (Gong was two very different bands: initially an eclectic hippie band that morphed into this instrumental fusion band)
Kraftwerk

For blander or more generic instrumental music that I hear in a lot of shows (I'm sorry, I don't know how else to put it :wink: ) try various Windham Hill artists - just search for Windham Hill.
PSP 0.1
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby Astra » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:36 am

ozphoto wrote:Thanks folks ....
Perhaps someone will post a bunch of decent sites with decent pricing???

Look closely at "Miscellanious Section" - Music Discussion - (on the bottom of the site) -
... there are several posts with multiple discussions running.

Alexandra

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi folks,

I just received permission to use some music for personal or commercial projects with the stipulation that the musicians are credited on the program. More information can be found in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15670
PSP 0.1
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Caution: 'private use' means exactly that. Don't post it on the net anywhere. Don't sell it or give it away.

In most cases, you're still infringing the copyrights of the rights holder but it's academic if they can't know it to object.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby sbuckel » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:42 pm

I have been collecting links for royalty free music to use for personal projects. I also have purchase royalty free music for commercial applications from Triple Scoop Music - couple of wedding shows quickly covered my expenses.

I just heard about this one:

http://mobygratis.com

If your a fan of moby this one is pretty good, you need to jump through a few hoops to use, but I found a song tht will fit a time lapse short I am working on.

http://www.jimmyg.us/home.aspx

Jimmy Gelhaar makes his music available for use. I like many of them, so fell his music is a bit mournful. Nice collection of music and you can use his music for broadcast with attribution.

http://www.danosongs.com/

He makes his music available as well. He has a variety of songs of various types.

http://www.purple-planet.com/#

A friend just sent this one to me. I have not looked carefully attheir terms, but the initial text indicates use with attribution, but commercial projects require a donation.

http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/demo.html

Rights given to use even for profit on you tube by Kevin MacLeod. Once again a simple attribution and a donation if you want. In his FAQ towards the bottom are a set of links to music with similar requirements.

I hope this list helps out,

Scott

Postby ozphoto » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 am

Those are good sites as well, anyone know what music service Photodex uses in their demos????

Postby Astra » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:53 am

To: ozphoto & scorpion:

did you check SmarSound Website - their Music selection & unique SonicFire software ??

Royalty-free, freedom of length & power of combination:
Link:
http://www.smartsound.com/index.html

Alexandra

Next

Return to Music Discussion