BACKGROUND MUSIC

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
mchriste

BACKGROUND MUSIC

Postby mchriste » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:31 am

Hi,
I find one of the hardest parts of creating a show is finding appropriate music. Many times I am looking for
instrumental piece. I have heard some nice backgrounds on sample shows, but noone ever posts what they use.

Does anyone have a list of good sources (both free - preferred and paid) for home-use productions?

Thank you
Mark

Re: BACKGROUND MUSIC

Postby Anna J » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 pm

A lot of us use Kevin MacLeod's music, all free and found at www.incompetech.com
Anna J
Anna

Postby Astra » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:55 am

For Home Production - (not-to-use for business):

4 albums of "HOME" Movie Series: of SmartSound music - (Software is free to download):

here is link - to one of the albums:
http://www.smartsound.com/music/discpre ... usicSeries

(regular series - for commercial use - are more expensive - but several times a year there is a sale...)

Alexandra

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:09 am

One really nice thing about the SmartSound stuff (that Astra mentioned above) is you can adjust the length of any track you are working with using their software (only works for their music though). You like a piece from an album but need 2:37 long ? No problem - adjust that in their software and render as a wav file. Just the right length. check out their free tutorials on how to use the software also. Another one that has some reasonable stuff (although not free) is stock20.com ( http://www.stock20.com/commerce/index.php )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Astra » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 am

Mikey,
are you using SmartSound music & software ?
- Astra

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 am

Yeah, I have a bunch of their stuff including springing for the fancy version of their software. Also have a bunch of Digital Juice stuff that I purchased in the past when it was on sale). Smart Sound has some pretty good tutorials although for some reason, Larry Jordan doesn't "float my boat" (their instructor). Well presented though.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Astra » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Mikey,
how much features of the SonicFire Pro software are you using in your music creation ?
-Astra

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm not sure exactly - I started with the Pro software - at the time, I did go through the comparisons, but decided to simply go for it. I do use the mood-mapping and that sort of stuff. You can also move the "blocks" around in the track if you want for a different feel as well. I would watch the tutorials they have there and see what you like - they are fairly good at covering what does what. The chief thing I was using in my last project was the ability to easily create segments of music that had a start/end and were a specific length - often it is hard to edit an existing track to get the length you need without it sounding like you hacked away at it. I'm still new at playing with their software and it does have a learning curve, but so far, I have only crashed it a couple of times :? I think I ended up buying 15 or so of their albums when they were on sale a while back.

mikey

Postby tomdavis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Mark: When you find a background song in one of the posts you like, then click on the PM (private message) under the identifying poster and send them as message and ask for the name of the tune.......

Tom

Postby Astra » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:47 am

To Mikey:

I'm using SmartSound And SonicFire Pro all the time - a freedom to "create" any length of music you need - and then extend or shorten it as well - is liberating - no frustration with looking, picking & adjusting so many people has expressed here on forum...
Are you using BPM (Beat-Per-Minute) calculation for establishing your timing?

-Astra

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:32 am

No - I have not even played with that aspect of it yet - I would just rummage around what I had purchased until I found what sounded good with what I was trying to do and work with it from there. I need to go back and watch the tutorials again and spend some time learning what all I can do with their software (like everyone else here, when it got down to where I was putting the show together, I was rapidly running out of time !! ). Now that that is done and daughter has graduated from High School (that was Monday night), there is some time to experiment with stuff :-)

mikey

Return to Music Discussion