Audio or Caption

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
bm150280

Audio or Caption

Postby bm150280 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:24 am

Not sure if this is the section I should be posting this question in or not.
I am putting together a slideshow for my friends wedding. It started out as a simple slide show with pictures of her, the fiancé, and them together, with some music. Now her mom wants to include (in writing or audio) a letter that the two of them wrote, explaining how they met and just some thoughts about one another. I've never been asked to do something like this, but since she is a good friend and its a new challenge, I figured I would give it a shot....my ideas aren't flowing like I thought they would. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Audio or Caption

Postby DickK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:31 am

If it's short you could scan it to make it an image and then just pan it up slowly. But it will have to be exceptionally legible for anyone to be able to read it. Alternatively you could use a nice picture on one part of the screen and show the letter on the other part but have a voice over reading it.

Frankly unless its really short and really good, I have to wonder if this is likely to take more time than anyone will have patience for but it's their show.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby slideshower » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi,
I'm definitely not an expert at making slideshows but have an idea - how about adding a few lines of the letter on each of the slides you have already made? By the end of the show, if the letter isn't too long, the whole letter will be done. Just a thought. Lucie

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:17 am

Another possibility would be to tell the story of the letter as the presentation itself, with "transitions" between parts of the story in the letter being used to include those slides that don't match up with the story being told.

If the bride and groom are willing, and have voices that work well with public speaking, you might consider having them actually read parts of the letter and use their own voices to tell the story as a narrative - it would cut down (using voices - theirs or someone else's) on guests having to be distracted by reading too much of the story as the presentation progresses.

An audio narrative allows for the visual to proceed with less disruption - IF - the audio is clear, expressive, and matches up with the visual. If the audio, however, is garbled, flat in expression, or recorded poorly, it will be more likely to disrupt the flow far worse than lots of text.

My personal choice would be to use a mix of both text and audio rather than an Either/Or approach. I find that programs and presentations that provide an auditory reading of the text being shown on screen engage me far more than text alone. Mixing up the three aspects could provide 'breaks" that might keep folks engaged during the presentation.

Thanks for spurring my own thought processes on as I have been working on a show about my mom and dad, both deceased, and the idea of using their own words from letters written between them had not occurred to me until your question sparked some brainstorming for me. :)

Louis

P.S. A lot of what you settle on will probably have more to do with how long the actual show is going to be. Short show? Consider using highlights from the letter. Longer show? Consider using the Letter as the flow of the show itself. All just suggestions. Please keep us updated on how it all progresses and what your final choices become.

P.P.S. If you want to use some of the letter text in an animated way, I recommend a consideration of the following program written by a fellow forum member.....

http://www.visisketchpro.com/CAP/CAP_Main.html
Last edited by lahazard on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SandyB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:38 am

You might do some combination of audio and visual. My suggestion would be that whatever you do, keep it short.
Although meaningful to the couple, long letters - either written or spoken - can get tedious.
Here's a link to a show I did for Liz and Eric with some captions about how they met etc.
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 0328&alb=0
Good luck!
Sandy
Connecting Who You Are With What You Love To Do

Return to Music Discussion