Trying to understand royalty free and use

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
Esteemed Member

Trying to understand royalty free and use

Postby tjdowning » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Hello,
Sorry to ask, but I work for an artist who would like me to put her images on a show and have music in it. Want relaxing music to sooth.

We are wanting to sell these and I have need to know my options. If I buy royalty free music, does that mean
we can sell a product that has the music on it?

If not, what can I get for music to do this?

Thanks and sorry if this is a question that has been hashed over before.

-Terri

Re: Trying to understand royalty free and use

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Do a search of the forum for a number of discussions on music. "Royalty Free" can have a number of different meanings depending on where you get it. Each place that sells royalty free music will also have the licensing information available for you to read. Some limit you to personal use only, some to limited distribution etc. Some of the licenses I have read forbid you to take their music, put vocals over it and call it your "song" (voice overs with a show using the background music is not the same). Check out Stock20.com, Smartsound.com and others - read the licensing - it is not the same for all.

mikey
Last edited by gpsmikey on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Astra » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:40 am

Terri,
as Mikey correctly pointed you at right direction ...
Yes - it is wide field of "royalty-free" music, but correct answers are there, too.... just look and learn .... :)

Alexandra

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Start with these:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8583
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8758

Royalty-free isn't the answer you're looking for. The basic issue is that you need the right(s) to use the music in the way you wish. Obtaining the music (free or paid) does not necessarily get you the needed rights. Acquiring those rights means acquiring a license for those purposes. Getting that license may be free or it may have a fee--royalty terms. The fee may be one-time or per-use.

As pointed out there are lots of discussions of where you can acquire music that does come with the necessary rights. Lots of music is available online that's free and freely licensed for various types of use but read the terms of use carefully because it's often limited to personal, noncommercial use.

Hope that helps a little but feel free to ask more questions.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to Music Discussion