Using copyrighted music

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
Valued Member

Using copyrighted music

Postby photoshowstudio » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:54 pm

I understand there are lots of laws out there to protect the rights of musicians. I just wonder if anyone from this forum has ever been notified by a musician or someone representing them to stop using their music?

I have read a lot of responses of someone heard about someone getting something...but nothing 1st hand.

I remember dual cassette boom boxes and nobody ever cared about those...and we all know they were being used to copy tapes for friends.

Re: Using copyrighted music

Postby Ron » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi
Some time back in 2000 if my memory serves me right, someone showed me how to download Photoshop 5 or 6, it could have been thru Napster but I think it was Limewire. All was well for about 6 months. Around October of that year I received a registered letter from Optimum (Cablevision) my online server.
I think it was 7 pages long and seemed to be written by a team of lawyers, the first couple of pages were from Cablevision & the other 5 were a letter sent to Cablevision from Adobe. Basically said that I stole there product and tthat I could be prosecuted.....I remembered being worried that they would do something over the next several months...........Thats the short version....since that time I wouldn't even think about doing it again. Mainly used Elements then PScs & Last year I coughed up the money and purchased their CS4 creative suite.
No excuses I should have known better especially having kids & teaching them correctly ... my bad
It's just not worth it if you draw the short straw!!!!
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:33 am

The Golden Rule has stood the test of time. Only if you rejoice when people walk into your house and steal your stuff can you in good (but really weird) conscience walk into theirs and steal their stuff. There's no difference between the ownership of a chair and the ownership of something you can't touch such as, for instance, a melody.

Ron, I love the way you just admitted to how that lesson was brought on home to you. I had my own lesson when I was a kid and stole a roll of Lifesavers from the corner candy store, which was owned by a man who always gave a little extra to the children. When I was about 20 feet from the door, I realized what I'd just done and then stood there morally paralyzed, my child's mind finally deciding I couldn't go back in there to return the candy because then the man would be hurt because I'd stolen from him. Of course it's precisely what I should have done, but I was a kid and didn't understand how adults think. Lifesavers. How much more symbolic could it have been?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby nancy156 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Wow, Barbara! I guess all of us have one of those kinds of stories. I know I do. Mine was a little worse in that I was taking the coke bottles that were stored out behind our little store into the store and turning them in again for the bottle deposit. Yes, I know this goes way back and dates me. I'm old now, but was just a little kid at the time, but old enough to know better. Eventually, the store owner got wise to what was going on and called in the parents and so on (small town). Well, after getting caught doing that, I have always felt that doing the right thing was going to be the only way. You just don't forget one of these events and the embarassment and shame.

I think that I would rather go through looking for something to use legally than to have the worry of using something that was copyrighted. I wouldn't want to always be looking over my shoulder so to speak. For me it just wouldn't be worth it.

I did contact one very popular artist one time to ask permission to use a song. The very nice person that responded said that I could use it for whatever purpose I wanted as long as it was not posted to the internet. I was really happy with that response and subsequently used the song in the show I was making just for family enjoyment.

Nancy

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:51 am

Nancy, you're right about that story dating you, and it dates me too because I remember the kids doing it to that same store owner whose candy I stole. The funny thing is that he knew the bottles were being taken (I found out later) but he did nothing about it because most of those kids were as poor as he was. What's interesting is that the kids eventually stopped stealing from him because of how kind he was.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to Music Discussion