SmartSound sale on entire inventory

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

SmartSound sale on entire inventory

Postby bellzerr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:31 am

First time I've seen them put the entire library of albums on sale. This is a great time to invest in SmartSound music!
http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/music.html?utm_source=ml0210&utm_campaign=trm2sfpdemo
Mark

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: SmartSound sale on entire inventory

Postby DickK » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:54 am

I don't find these provisions in their license to be very comforting:

Limitations

You are not authorized to:
# Add lyrical or vocal content with words or lyrics or in any way create a derivative copyright without the express written permission of SmartSound.
# Use music from SmartSound in any downloadable or transferable format intended for multiple distribution including, without limitation in peer-to-peer file sharing or in any Sampling instrument or product.

Derivative work is exactly what a slide show is though probably not within the intent of the provision. Clarification might be wise. Same thing with the downloadable issue--posting it to PhotoDex or YouTube or where ever might fall within a strict reading of that. I'm not likely to be a buyer but if I were, I'd ask for a clarification.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby bellzerr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:33 am

Dick,
Thanks for your vigilance and concern. I've sent this question off to SmartSound and will post their reply.
Mark

Postby AMD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:42 am

Dick,

To quote a well-known ProShow Enthusiast poster . . . "I am not an attorney," but . . .

It would appear that the "positive" portion of SmartSound's license stipulations takes care of the concerns you express. I may be wrong, but I don't believe that the music portion of any shows posted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Web sites, etc., are retrievable and extractable on their own in their original form--but I certainly could be wrong. There seem to be ways to "cheat" on just about everything these days.

You are authorized to:

* Synchronize the music in timed relation with other audio/visual content, as many times, in as many unique productions as you wish, in perpetuity.
* Synchronize the music in timed relation with other audio/visual content in a software product, hardware product, electronic media such as DVD, CD and the like, whether for sale or free, and reproduce/duplicate such product up to a number of 10,000 units before needing any additional mechanical licensing.
* Synchronize the music in timed relation with other audio/visual content and display such productions on the Internet so long as the music portion of the media is not retrievable and extractable in its original form (on its own).
* Synchronize the music in timed relation with other audio/visual content and broadcast such productions in all broadcast applications, local, regional, national and worldwide so long as Cue Sheet forms are properly filled out and filed when necessary and applicable (please see “Performing Rights” below).

Ann

Postby bellzerr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:57 am

I'm in Ann's camp with regard to both my status as a (non) attorney and my understanding of the license. My read on Dicks excerpts is that SmartSound disallows REdistributing their music as a "music source" alone. Including it in a slide show is fully permissible as Ann points out.

However, as mentioned, I'll post SmartSound's reply to my email as soon as I receive it.
Mark

Postby rdurga » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 am

Roy has submitted an ebay link for royalty free music.

Pl take a look:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14789&p=118577#p118577

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ambience-Royalty-Fr ... 2558f31a07

12 CDs for $19.95. Royalty free. I could find 16 tracks for my liking.

You can download previews and listen to the music.

ram

Postby Astra » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 am

To Mark:
Thanks for Info - great price for MultiTracks.

To ram:
Interesting !!! will check it it out...

Alexandra

Re: SmartSound sale...& QUESTION: about Muse Music CD - on Ebay

Postby Astra » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:11 am

Hi,
just found VERY STRANGE thing in a "Licence agreement"
- when looking on this - otherwise - very good deal on Royalty Free Music - from "Ambience Royalty Free Buyout Production Music 12 CDs " - on Ebay:

Maestro Music License Agreement

COPYRIGHT MATERIAL
The music in the Muse Music (collectively called the "Music") is proprietary and copyrighted. This copyright is protected under U.S. and International copyright law. Muse Music owns in its entirety and reserves all rights to the Music.

Why strange ? ... what's wrong with a word: "Maestro" ??

BECAUSE "Maestro" is also a name of a software from SmartSound Company - kind of "small brother" of current large and powerfull "Sonicfire Pro" - and "Maestro" is still used for "Home Production" CD Music ....

This got me thinking ...

Does anybody have more information about this "Muse Music" company or "Muse Music c/o Groove Studios" which are also mentioned in this Music Licence ??

Alexandra

Postby bellzerr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:19 am

Funny... anytime any kind of "music" thread is started, it gets loooooong in a hurry. :D
No reply yet from SmartSound.
Mark

Postby Astra » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:38 am

To Mark:

bellzerr wrote:Funny... anytime any kind of "music" thread is started, it gets loooooong in a hurry. :D
No reply yet from SmartSound. Mark

Yep, Music is very important - and looks like everybody (almost everybody :) ) is looking constantly
for a good source (of Royalty-Free.)

Alexandra

Postby debngar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 am

If this has been shared already I apologize, but look what I found in regards to the purchase price of SmartSound Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring software at the academic superstore - only $150.

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/produ ... Pro/950151

That seems to be a pretty good deal.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby bellzerr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 am

Deb,
I'm missing something. SonicFire Pro 5 Scoring Edition is only $99 on the SmartSound web site - and that's what I paid for it last fall. Furthermore, that academic site show Express Track at $49, but Express Track is FREE. Maybe their web site has not been updated in awhile?
Mark
Last edited by bellzerr on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby bellzerr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:51 am

I called SmartSound since I had not yet received an email response. The gentleman said that as long as their music is part of a "larger work" such as a video or slide show, it was perfectly permissible to distribute that work via the web, DVD, etc. for free or for a commercial fee. Hope that helps.
And by the way, he was very appreciative of the forum's efforts to read and respect copyright and licensing agreements.
Mark

Postby Astra » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 am

To Deb & Mark:

YES - SonicFire Pro - Scoring Edition - $99.00 only - here is the link:

http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/scoring.html

Alexandra

Postby debngar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 am

I could be wrong but believe there are two versions of that software.

According to the SmartSound website, the "express track edition" version is regular price $99 (I'm guessing this is akin to the lower price ProShow Gold for instance) and then there is the higher priced "pro 5 scoring edition" version regular price $349 (like higher priced ProShow Producer).

Both version of Sonicfire are available at reduced student price at academic superstore if you have a valid student ID.

The express edition is $49.95
The scoring edition is $149.95

That's all I was trying to say.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Next

Return to Music Discussion