Non-Proshow Audacity Question

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Non-Proshow Audacity Question

Postby kabeeo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:27 am

Hi. I have read so much about Audacity but have never used it. I have some old concert tapes on cassette (that makes me feel old all of a sudden). I read on another forum that I might be able to hook those tapes up to my sound card and use Audacity to record them digitally and then make CDs out of them. Has anybody ever tried to do anything like this? Thanks.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Re: Non-Proshow Audacity Question

Postby folkroots » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:13 am

Hi,

Here is a link to a site that should help you. If you don't like this tutorial just do a google search for how to transfer cassette tapes to computer. You should find something. Good luck..
http://www.nsftools.com/misc/TapeToCD.htm

Postby kabeeo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:41 am

Thanks for your help.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby rdurga » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi,

Converting cassette tape to CD

"So you want to take music off records, CDs or cassettes and take them into the digital age? Once you get your player connected to your computer, you'll need software to record it all. Here's where my favorite free audio editor comes in.

It can record live audio; convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs; edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, and WAV sound files; cut, copy, splice, and mix sounds together; change the speed or pitch of a recording and much more.

Audacity works with both Windows and Mac. It is a robust enough to handle even the most complex jobs.
Your tape deck may not have line-out jacks. In that case, use the headphone jack. You'll need to fiddle with the volume for optimum recording levels.

If you use the headphone jack, a y-cable won't work. You'll need to pick up a mini-jack-to-mini-jack cable. Again, any electronics store will sell you one for a few dollars.

On to recording software! I recommend the free Audacity. You'll find a link to this great, handy program .

After you install Audacity, you need to set up recording options. Click Edit>>Preferences to find the options.
Open the Audio I/O tab. Then, select your computer's speakers in the Playback Device dropdown box. In the Recording Device dropdown, select either microphone or line in. You can also use the Recording Channels dropdown to select stereo. By default, mono is selected. Click OK when you're done.

Now, hit the record button in Audacity. The button contains a red circle. Then, press Play on your cassette deck. When the entire tape has played, press the stop button in Audacity. It has a yellow square

You may need to do some trimming. Or, you may want to break the recording into different sections. This will give you more control when you're creating your slide show.

To save your audio clips, click File>>Export as WAV. Specify the location to save the file. Name your file and click Save."

Source: Kim komando

If you need some more info, pl let me know. I can search for you.
Good luck,

ram

Postby kabeeo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:31 am

I don't know if anybody else is reading this thread but for anybody who is interested I DL'd Audacity and was able to make CDs out of those old cassettes and it was actually pretty easy to do.

Thanks for the help here.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby Diane48 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:17 pm

I also used Audacity for the first time last week. A friend had her 1970 wedding on a cassette tape and I set it up in front of my headphone mike and recorded it fully. Then I was even able to get rid of the cassette player hum which resulted in a very clear recording which I then transferred to CD. I was thrilled with the ease of doing it and the good result and my friend was reduced to tears.

Cheers, Diane

Return to Music Discussion