Music Copyright Question

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Music Copyright Question

Postby DickK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:27 am

I believe this protects the provider (uTube) but I doubt it does anything for you other than get the audio back. If that's the purpose and it works, that's fine. But like your other comments I'd be careful about assuming that you've somehow actually gained the right(s) you're claiming.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:52 am

I did some in-depth study of "fair use" and, in writing, it's only for excerpts, not a complete piece. Music works in a somewhat similar manner, though permission is required and often payment is too, and so I'm wondering about a possible misinterpretation of YouTube's statements. Just because something is being used in a project where no money passes hands doesn't mean it's a free-for-all. If you take just a moment to think about it from the musician's point of view, imagining yourself the person who has spent long hours creating/performing a piece only to discover it being used all over the place under the guise of fair use, you can see how it might just tick you off in a big way. Do a little research on the fair-use part of the copyright law to see what YouTube may have left out of its description.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby duglas50 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Why wouldn't the music industry encourage the use of there works in slide shows and such? Many times after watching a video or slide show I will hear a song that I like and end up purchasing it. After all it's all about sales.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:32 pm

Doug, from our point of view, it makes sense, but once most people have a piece of music, how likely are they, really, to buy it?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Valued Member

Postby royandjean » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:41 am

Hi to you all,
I have just recieved from the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain, clarification of the Copyright laws in operation in the UK, the details of which are several pages long. Perhaps the most important paragraph I have included below.

Audio Visuals and Soundtrack Copyright
What you do at home is rarely a problem. If you copy music and movie clips to a
film and show it to friends you have broken the law but no one is likely to find out -
or to worry about it. However, to show it at a club or to another group or to use it in
a competition you will need several permissions.
Copyright is recognised by Acts of Parliament – the main legislation being the
Copyright, Designs and Patents Act of 1988 and subsequent amendments. The Law
is designed to protect the ownership of the work of writers and composers and
others to whom the creators of the work have assigned their Rights, as well as the
manufacturers of sound recordings and broadcasting authorities. Note that even if a
composer has been dead for 200 years and his copyright has expired the copyright to
the recording is still owned by of the performers.
It is an offence
- to make a recording of Copyright music, even if that recording is not played back
- to record, or copy, any recording without the consent of the maker and or performer(s)
- to play or reproduce Copyright music in public* without the appropriate permissions
* Any group of persons outside the family circle, including friends, can be held to be “Public”.

Previous

Return to Music Discussion