Finding replacement music

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Finding replacement music

Postby Magmatic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:13 pm

I am working on a show (my first) for my brother’s 50th birthday—school portraits and family shots. I was going to use certain commercial music, but now I find I can’t do that for copyright reasons. The whole storytelling structure of my show was based on that music. I had a great opening and a great ending with that music, but now I’m in trouble.

I’ve looked for royalty-free music, including some I’ve seen mentioned on this site; but so far haven’t found anything suitable. I would pay money for the right pieces, but they’re hard to find. It’s discouraging. I guess I’ll keep looking. Meanwhile, production is at a standstill.

David S
David Shuford

Esteemed Member

Re: Finding replacement music

Postby Patricia_C » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:35 am

David,

If this is for your brother (meaning personal) and you are not selling anything I say you can consider using whatever music you like. I am doing a family history show and would be lost without the commercial songs I am using. It helps tell your story, as you say. However, if I were going to air my show as the entertainment during the Superbowl halftime, I wouldn't dare use commercial music.

Fortunatly, Garth Brooks won't be at my family Christmas get togther, so I'm fine with it.
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Postby nannybear » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:03 am

I agree with Patti, when it is for a closed family affair, and I am not profiting I use what ever I want.. :lol: cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby Magmatic » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Yes, I thought it would be OK to use the music for personal use, but somewhere on this forum I read an explanation that even that is illegal because it is a "derivative work". The thing is, my brother is going to want a copy, and then it begins to get sticky.

David
David Shuford

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:22 pm

David,

I think you are thinking about this too much. I have made many family members their own slideshows as gifts. Again, so long as he doesn't take out a TV ad and show the thing on national TV, you will be fine.
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:35 am

Patty's right. You're thinking too much about this. If you give a copy to your brother, he's unlikely to go into production with it and sell it all over town, right? Yes, copyright law forbids copying, but really, is that super-famous person or group going to drive into town, confiscate your brother's copy, and sue you for ungodly damages? :D

Go for it.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby ChrissyC » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:25 am

Hi David, for my personel family shows I use whatever music I want, no one but my family will be seeing it anyway..and most of the music I use comes from a cd that I have already paid for...I don't profit from my shows.
I hope you post your show so we can see it :D
take care,
Chrissy

Postby Magmatic » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Hmm, I wonder why my reply from a few days ago did not show up? Anyway, perhaps I am thinking to much, but it's what I do! I'm going for it, because otherwise, I don't have a show. Thanks for your comments.

Now, I find out I need to do a 60th wedding anniversay show too, and I have less than a month! Oh no!
David Shuford

Return to Music Discussion