86th birthday show-Song Suggestions, PLEASE

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
LeeLee

86th birthday show-Song Suggestions, PLEASE

Postby LeeLee » Thu May 28, 2009 8:02 am

Hello,
I'm working on a show for an 86 year old grandmother. The show will start with pictures from her heritage--before 1920--then to her childhood--friends growing up--then her marriage. She is a big fan of the "big band" sound. Could anyone make some song suggestions--client wants a nostalgic feel to the melody. I'm so STUCK!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!! :lol:

Have a nice day,
LeeLee

Esteemed Member

Re: 86th birthday show-Song Suggestions, PLEASE

Postby nantory » Thu May 28, 2009 9:06 am

Why don't you open with "Sentimental Journey" and if you do a search for Big Band Music, you will come up with numerous songs to use, especially instrumentals. If you want a more updated version of old songs, check out Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook series.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Studio7Productions » Thu May 28, 2009 11:09 am

I did something like this once before
and I used (with a little research) the Number 1 Song for each of their birthdays

Mel
PSP v 5: Adobe CS5 Extended:Sony Soundforge Pro 10: Canon 50D: Canon EOS 1000D: Nikon D40:

" Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. "
Sir Winston Churchill

Postby ChrissyC » Thu May 28, 2009 11:21 am

Hi Lee Lee if you write me chrissy_cmc@sbcglobal.net I have a ton of big band songs, I can send you a few :D

Esteemed Member

Postby joemav57 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:57 am

The Andrew Sisters, Bing Crosby, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw and even early Frank Sinatra. These were all pretty dominant musicians of the 30's and 40's

Also if you're looking for more up to date versions of some of those songs, besides Rod Stewart, Barry Manilow has two albums out "Singin' With The Big Bands" and "Swing Streets"
PSP 7, Photoshop CS6, Nikon D3100.

SarasotaDeb

Postby SarasotaDeb » Thu May 28, 2009 1:24 pm

I just created a show with music for my father in law who turned 90. I downloaded it to proshow, but I'm not sure how you can see it. Just let me know if you want to watch it.

Postby ChrissyC » Thu May 28, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi Deb, the way to share your show here is to go to your album, click on your show....copy the address in your browser window, then come back here and paste that link....all we have to do is click on your link and away we go to watch your show :)
hope that helps...
Chrissy

Postby silverfox » Thu May 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Make sure you include Wayne King ........... just finished 90th for Mom in Law ........ and those were the ones that brought twinkle to her eyes (couple tears too) used the music from Best of Wayne King ..........with Artie Shaw and Glenn Miller thrown in for good measure ........

Postby LindaLBW » Thu May 28, 2009 5:48 pm

100 years by Five for Fighting is a great song. It goes through the stages of life in a really cool way. It is a contemporary song with a traditional feel to it. I think you will really like it. :D

LeeLee

Postby LeeLee » Fri May 29, 2009 7:25 am

Ya'll are amazing. Thank you ever so much.

I was curious, is there a living document (is that possible?) with the name of a song, length, and the artist posted on this Forum--kinda like the book that was created?

LeeLee

etcetera

Postby etcetera » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:01 pm

Sorry for the late reply, but you might like "Where Does the Time Go?" by Barry Manilow, on his "Singin' With the Big Bands" CD (1994) ... very nice song, in the style that you're looking for.

Sheila

Postby Valboo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Another late reply. . .I'm doing one for an 80 year old and one of the songs that they really liked was "Forever Young"
by Rod Stewart. As well, Frank Sinatra's "Young at Heart". I also like "Those were the days" by Mary Hopkins.

Val Rowley
Val

Valued Member

Postby janera » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:42 pm

And don't forget my favorite, Michael Buble. Classics but with a slightly different sound! :D
Jane

Postby sharry » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:59 pm

LeeLee wrote:Hello,
I'm working on a show for an 86 year old grandmother. The show will start with pictures from her heritage--before 1920--then to her childhood--friends growing up--then her marriage. She is a big fan of the "big band" sound. Could anyone make some song suggestions--client wants a nostalgic feel to the melody. I'm so STUCK!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!! :lol:

Have a nice day,
LeeLee

a very beautiful song for this would be "Remember When" by Allan Jackson
it will bring a tear to your eye with the photos

Postby sharry » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:00 pm

a song sure to bring atear to everyones eyes when watching the slidshow - "Remember When" by Allan Jackson[b][/b] you will love it

Return to Music Discussion