Memorial Video (No Sad Songs)

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Memorial Video (No Sad Songs)

Postby SamanthaB » Mon May 25, 2009 5:13 am

I am doing a memorial video for a young man who died 11 years ago when he was 22. His mother brought me 300 pictures and only 5 songs. She selected: You are My Sunshine, I Love a Rainy Night, When I get Where I'm Going, Signs (deceased's favorite) and Who You'd be Today. I told her I would need more songs for that many pictures. But she said, "You just pick them, but no sad songs." Over half of the pictures are when he was a baby and toddler. It is hard to explain to a mother less is sometimes more. She was a single mom and he was her only child. He was working 2 jobs just to help her out. He really was all she had, and this video will mean so much to her.

I am having a hard time selecting songs that would be appropriate (age, etc.) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Esteemed Member

Re: Memorial Video (No Sad Songs)

Postby Patricia_C » Mon May 25, 2009 5:46 am

I'm wondering if you could search around on You Tube and look for lullaby's or toddler music. Some can be fairly long. I'd look for an instrumental to start the show with maybe. If you have lots of baby/toddler pictures, maybe a long lullaby would use up quite a bit of them. Then, I'd suggest slide styles that incorporate more than one photo at a time, or some boarders so you're not having to show just one picture after the next.

Good Luck. 300 pictures are a lot! The first graduation show I did for someone had just over 300.
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Esteemed Member

Postby joemav57 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:10 am

The lullabye songs are a great idea. I would suggest a song called "Time" by the Alan Parsons Project, but it is a little sad, but it is a honorable song. Michael Jackson's "You Are Not Alone" is not that bad.
PSP 7, Photoshop CS6, Nikon D3100.

Postby SamanthaB » Mon May 25, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. There are definitely pictures I can group together on one slide, and thus make the show shorter. Once I get the size down, I should know about how many songs I will need. Yes, this is a huge project, as you know from your previous experience, thanks for your advice. As you suggested, I’m going to research the lullaby songs and use an instrumental – that way I can stay neutral—and not take a chance of causing the mother anymore heartache by selecting the wrong lyrics.

Postby HunnyB » Mon May 25, 2009 2:24 pm

300 pictures is a lot. The most I have used in a memorial show is around 100-150. And that makes a nice 20 to 25 or so minute show. One thing we have to remember is that for the person watching, a 30 minute "short movie" about their loved one is not long at all. You can do a very nice show in 25-30 minutes. I would try not to go much longer though. About the song - maybe see what the mother's favorite singer/group is. Then find an instrumental.
I would be careful, IMHO, not to chose a lullaby that sounds to babyish.

I have a few suggestions you could apply to the show....
Not sure the family situation, but you could include a picture of her and her husband's wedding photo,
or a picture of the mother at her baby shower, etc...etc... in the beginning.
I once did a mem. show and I included a copy of the lady's wedding and shower invitations. It made for a nice touch. :D
Also, to me, the color and/or the theme is very important. Can you find out the son's favorite hobbies, i.e. baseball, cars, hunting, you get the picture......and include that into the show some? Think of your audience....you could even include from time to time in the show the mom's favorite flower, etc......
It is a known fact that the mom will watch the show a million times. What a fabulous gift we are giving. :)

Good luck chosing the song....let us know what you come up with.
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Mon May 25, 2009 2:44 pm

Here are a couple of songs I have used:

I Knew I Loved You Before I Met You-by Savage Garden
Miracle- by Celine Dion
Beautiful Boy-by Celine Dion or John Lennon

Hope this helps, that is really a long show, but as Hunny said, no show is too long for a mother to watch, especially about her only child. Good luck!

Postby Deb » Mon May 25, 2009 3:02 pm

I was just thinking that the mum must be around her late 50's so I also think 'Beautiful Boy' by John Lennon will be a safe bet and it is a gorgeous song. You could also try 'Forever Young' by Rod Steward ......

PS I agree about the lullabies - it may sound a bit babyish ... good luck - this is a tricky one

Return to Music Discussion