Thankyou 4 letting me join the party!

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold

Thankyou 4 letting me join the party!

Postby Showtime54 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:26 am

Hi, The name Bruce, I live in Australia, this is my 1st post. I wasn't sure which door to come through... But this one looked inviting.
The first slide show I ever did was with "Power Point" for an elderly friend's funeral. Then I discovered a free trial of "Proshow Gold" on the cover of a photo magazine, after seeing what it could do I'm hooked. I have now completed about 15 shows. The creativity really started come, when I did a show for my young brothers funeral. Funerals are tricky as trying to tell a life's story in 3 or 4 minutes demands excellent timing and the right music (that suits the person.) Anyway I digress... Reading through the music forum with the discussions in the mine field of "copyright" I have done a few good shows were I have used some great commercial tracks... My brother-in-law once commented that the music didn't matter!! ...let me tell you the selection of music "absolutely" matters. I have edited the latest show I did for a mate's 40th birthday. there was not many photo's available to make a descent show. So after watching a few tutorials on captions from this site I created a sequence of slides to begin the show. I used a 1m:50sec slice from Pink Floyd's "Time" (if you know it! the one with the alarm bells and the ticking clock.) The idea was to showcase some events that happened when he was born in 1968. I've modified the original show to cut all the boring photo's and replaced them with explanations! Any Feedback is always appreciated. I have put it on the proshow site but I have turned the volume down to 5% so the music can't be heard copyright you know :-( (that is unless you turn your speakers up!

Here's the show ...what do you think? http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 0300&alb=0

Cheers from Down under... Bruce.

Re: Thankyou 4 letting me join the party!

Postby Barkingmad » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:26 am

Hi, welcome to the group and pleased to meet you! I am new here too, - my name is Shaz aka Barkingmad, which I include in my posts as there is already a Shaz in the group. I live in South Africa. I too made my first show in power point - and after spending much time getting perfect timing to the specific photo's I wanted at definate places, I discovered that it displayed differently on different PC's. On my PC it played perfectly - on my hubby's laptop the music raced ahead of the photo's - That was me and power point finished -lol, and I spent the next few weeks trying out every program I could find with a trial version.. I installed and uninstalled many programs, and Gold was most definately my choice. I then formatted my PC after all the installs / un-installs and purchased Gold.
-Shaz Barkingmad
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:39 pm

Welcome aboard, Bruce!

What a wonderful way to create filler for those occasions where there just aren't enough pictures. You did a fine job with the text effects, too.

My one complaint: Turn the darned music up! All the rest of us use mostly commercial music because there just isn't enough decent free music to go around. The shows we post on the Photodex site are seen pretty much by no one other than this group, so do as we all do and let everyone enjoy your favorite music right along with you.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby ChrissyC » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi Bruce, welcome to the group, nice to meet you. Very interesting idea! I enjoyed watching it..I agree with Barbara (don't ever call her Barb) turn up your music!! :D for me the best part of all the wonderful shows here is the music! :D
thanks for sharing
Chrissy

Postby nannybear » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Great imagination and welcome to the forum!!! Thanks for sharing that, what an innovative idea. I loved it....I turned my speakers up.......cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby Showtime54 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:37 am

Thank you Ladies for your kind words of encouragement,
This is my 1st ever forum ( apart from Facebook with my 4 kids and all there friend ...I still can't get the idea of writing on a wall??)
I'll take on board the volume thing! I was a bit nervous walking into a cyber room without knowing any of the rules, but one has to be brave doesn't one. I'll put a new version on the PSG site (one what you can hear...!) It works much better when you get the sound & the visual. I've got a couple of more ideas that I have used that I'd like to share, which I will also add to the site.
These slideshows have been a great outlet for the Art/Craft side of my brain. Back in my 20 & 30 I used to do the traditional slide nights and home silent movies in 8mm, that's when you really could put an audience to sleep. We've come along way haven't we? But now with PSG they really sit up and take notice. I guess that's the challenge, connecting your photos to the audience that tells your story.

I think I will really enjoy the fellowship
till the next post...
Cheers from down under... Bruce.
"...Not try ...Do..." YODA
PSG, PSP5, Canon 60D SLR, CanoScan 8400F, PS Elements & Premier 10 Member:Photographic Instute

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:03 am

connecting your photos to the audience that tells your story

Amen.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi Bruce,

Welocme to the group form another Aussie.

It's a great friendly family here so don't be concerned about jumping in with your input.

I gather by your mentioning of AFL teams you're a VIC resident.

Neville
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!!

Postby ChrissyC » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Bruce, your avitar makes me chuckle everytime I look at it! That cheeky smile, he looks like he's looking right at me! makes me laugh! There aren't many rules here, Don't be rude, don't start trouble, make sure when you post a show give the size of it and the run time, share wonderful shows, tips and ideas...have fun, thats about it...it's a great forum, great place to learn and share, great much of talent here to!
byeeee,
Chrissy

Postby Showtime54 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:49 am

Thanks Chrissy, I'm pleased you get a laugh,
The choice seem obvious, he looked like the shark "Bruce" out of "Finding Nemo" which was also the voice of a truly witty and clever Australian comic Mr. Barry Humphries. It will have to do until I can work out how to place my own charming dial on the avitar.

G'day Neville,
I figured there would be a few Aussies on this site !
I reside in Traralgon a couple of hours from Melbourne.
Hope to share a few thing that I've leant with the group, as I try and master this great pastime.
My aim is to continue the art of showmanship... a "SlideShowman" that is!

Cheers B.
PSG, PSP5, Canon 60D SLR, CanoScan 8400F, PS Elements & Premier 10 Member:Photographic Instute

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:57 am

Hi Bruce,

Re avatar http://tinyurl.com/4fxlzv

However Mike has nicked off on a cruise & left us to be on our best behabiour until end of Oct so any admin stuff wil have to wait until he returns.

Neville
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!!

Postby Showtime54 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:13 am

Hello Again,
Just to let those interested know I've reloaded time sequence show ...this time with sound
try this It's about 3:17 long at about 3.4 M
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 1837&alb=0

Also a couple of new ones (I think I'm getting the hang of this)
A NZ Story
Though process behind production...
In about 1975 My sister/brother-in-law and myself went to New Zealand. All my photo's were 35mm slides
In 2006 PSG Gave me the opportunity to put them back into a slide show... on the Tele!
Long became my key word... "Land of the long white cloud", it was a "long long" time ago etc.
So the text slides sets the scene while the music builds (an awesome piece at 6:40 min)
I've cut it down from the original show is 78 slides. ( Photos are not that good after 20 odd years in the shed.)
This is 3:40 long at about 7.5M
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 1840&alb=0

Last one then I'll be off to bed
Theme Party +FX
Though process behind production...
My sister staring again! They had "Medieval Party for her 55th birthday.
She lives about 1200klms to the north of me and I live near the bottom of Australia. (south end)
We could not make to the party so I asked them to send some photos I received about 300 + videos !!
My idea was to send a present from the southern lands. (a slide show)
The crate at the begin of the show is a photo from "Antarctica" as far south as you go. 070707 is her birthday.
I tried to make the text look like what would be stencilled on a box like that. ( I tried to get a M.A.S.H type font) it spirals off the box to the drums of "Fanfare for the Common Man" (E,L&P) The party theme colour was purple I just happen to find a photo of her when she was about 16-17 in purple I nice lead up to her photos. The music is the Brandenburg Concerto No.2 perfect medieval music.
The FX sawing a piece of wood as the title drops (that still needs work... right time right place)
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 1844&alb=0
This is about 2:20 at about 5.7M
Again I have cut out the middle bit as this show is over 10 mins long.
I added the 20th century fox sound to give it that BIG slideshow feel

Hope this is not to much in one post.

Cheers from down under Bruce

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Studio7Productions » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:24 am

Showtime54 wrote:These slideshows have been a great outlet for the Art/Craft side of my brain. Back in my 20 & 30 I used to do the traditional slide nights and home silent movies in 8mm, that's when you really could put an audience to sleep. We've come along way haven't we? But now with PSG they really sit up and take notice. I guess that's the challenge, connecting your photos to the audience that tells your story.

I think I will really enjoy the fellowship
till the next post...
Cheers from down under... Bruce.

Actually we have not really come a long way at all.
Magic Lanterns were first introduced in 1838, and were not really replaced until the 35mm version came along in the late 1950's early 1960's, and now we have Digital....
So as you can see, we have not come as far as we think we have.......even with Proshow, we cannot do what they used to do with Handpainted Glass Slides and a Magic Lantern........

Mel
PSP v 5: Adobe CS5 Extended:Sony Soundforge Pro 10: Canon 50D: Canon EOS 1000D: Nikon D40:

" Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. "
Sir Winston Churchill

Esteemed Member

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:12 pm

G'day Bruce.......welcome aboard. You'll enjoy it here. Great bunch of people who'll go out of their way to help. Loved the shows.
Alan
Sydney
Alan

Sydney, Australia

Return to PSG - Style & Technique