Need Suggestions To Aligning Layers

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold
hootowls

Need Suggestions To Aligning Layers

Postby hootowls » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:10 pm

I am having fun working on a "Proof of Concept" slide show using panoramas and normal sized image together. On one slide, I want to have a normal sized image morph into a panorama using layers. My issue is I cannot line up the two images/layers exactly. I have it close, but still feel I must use a quick dissolve instead of a cut to try to hide it. I have tried entering the position numbers and moving it by hand using the full screen view and cannot just quite get it... Is there any way to zoom in closer or control the transparency between the layers as you adjust?

Thank you in advance,
Hootowls

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Need Suggestions To Aligning Layers

Postby TinaJ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Not sure if this will help, but I had issues trying to replace pics in the exact same spot with a fade or cut, until I had a lightbulb moment and turned off 'show layer outlines.'
TinaJ
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:07 pm

"Is there any way to zoom in closer or control the transparency between the layers as you adjust? Thank you in advance, Hootowls"

Hi Hootowls,
I have Producer but assume you can do this in Gold as well. To view full screen, double-click on the preview window or click on the little magnifying glass w-arrow located on the bottom right side. You can control transparency for top layer during alignment under the "Edit" and/or "Effects" tab.

For aligning layers/images check your "pan" position. You can also easily line up your images/photos using the grid option. Right-click your mouse on the preview window and check "show grid." Click "define grid" to define preview area to your preference such as 10 x 10 left and right grids.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Stephanie
Last edited by seektheburd on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby heckydog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:11 am

Here's how I handled a similar problem just the other day.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2757 ... 220yk3.jpg reduced the opacity for clarity

The larger b&w photo was about 8x10 and I needed to colorize just the lower right corner and then have them align perfectly during a P&Z and transition from b&w to color.

So I aligned them perfectly in photoshop on separate layers. I then saved each layer as a separate png file using the dimensions of the larger one for both photos.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8987 ... 623ks8.jpg this is how the smaller one looks

As far as Proshow is concerned they are two identically sized photos, and as long as the movements are identical they will stay lined up.

Joe
Last edited by heckydog on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:13 am

Gold doesn't have the ability to change opacity or transparency. You need an outside editing program to do that. Then by using the fade transition and playing with the number of seconds there, you might be able to do what you are asking.
TinaJ
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

hootowls

Postby hootowls » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:57 am

Thank you for your suggestions. TinaJ - Turning off the "show layer outlines" did help.

In Gold you cannot adjust the transparency. That would have made it easier, Stephanie, but your idea of zooming led me to find a zoom setting on the full screen preview. The only bad part is you cannot zoom past 100% The default is 80% so zooming to 100% helped. Gold also does not have an adjustable grid. It is just on or off.

Joe, your suggestion is great, but for panorama shots, it would be a lot of work. I am dealing with one image 2123 X 2081 and the other is 5960 X 1500. PSG already complains about the size of these images (jerky pans and transitions). I bet it would really complain about two huge layers. I believe your method is the only accurate way to do it in Gold.

With these suggestions I did get it closer. I also learned that changing from one layer to another and back, your eye shows a ghost image and you can get it closer. I know have it with a .5 second dissolve and it looks ok.

Thank you for all your help,
Hootowls

Postby heckydog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:21 am

Hootowls,

Don't forget, if you're going to be making a dvd out of these pictures, they all get reduced to 720x480 mpeg-2 files anyway. So reducing the size before you bring it into PSG will not have any effect on your final output. You would want to factor in how much pan and zoom you intend to do before deciding on the reduction % but other than that you could go as low as 480 high.

I rarely use photos larger than 800x600 even though I shoot at the highest resolution my camera will do.

Now you have more stuff to think about. :wink:

Joe

Return to PSG - Style & Technique