Black and white fading to colour

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold
JohnForrester

Black and white fading to colour

Postby JohnForrester » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:45 am

I've seen somewhere in this forum a fabulous show which had a black and white flower image with a second colour butterfly image panning across. As the butterfly moved across the colour on the main black and white image gradually faded in from the left hand side.

Is this effect achievable in Proshow Gold and if so how?

John F

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:57 am

The B&W to color shift is very easy. Synching the movement of the butterfly is a separate step and just involves a layer and moving the object across the image in a way that is compatible with the transition.

Drop two copies of the slide on the timeline. On the first copy, go to the edit menu and set "colorize" on. Edit the color to a grey so the image is now grey scale.

Set a transition of some kind (try a few to see what happens in each case) and a time between the two copies and that's it.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

JohnForrester

Postby JohnForrester » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:42 pm

Dick
That's brilliant - so it's just a question of picking the right transition to 'sweep' across the black and white one then?
Thanks
John F

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:06 pm

Yep, exactly -- basically all of them work so it's just a matter of how you want the color to appear. The side/corner sweeps work well as does the paint brush set. Use the transition timing to control how fast it happens. Slower is normally better but just fiddle with it to get the the effect you want.

Simple and very effective.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Jerry Cole » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:08 pm

DickK wrote:but just fiddle with it to get the the effect you want. Dick

Fiddling is the fun part after the problem is solved. :wink:
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:26 pm

Yeah and frankly, lots of time what I ended up with after "fiddling" for a while was better than what I was after to start with.

Re: Black and white fading to colour

Postby bbooks » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:27 pm

I am resurrecting this topic with an additional question. Is there a way I can complete this B/W to color transition with the images moving rather than static? Even if I match the start of slide 2 to the end of slide 1, the images don't stay together during the transition.

Thanks!
Sue
ProShow Gold 4.0, Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0, Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28

Return to PSG - Style & Technique