cropping photos

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold
dennocb

cropping photos

Postby dennocb » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:48 am

Hi!

I had some pictures that were huge, and think I may have made a mistake. I reduced their size and cropped them using LVIEW-Pro. They look great. I put them in PSG and they still look good UNTIL I play the show. I get some pictures showing the pixels. They look horrible. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be leaving the sizes alone and do all my cropping using PSG?

Thanks!!!
Dennis

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:28 am

Define "huge" :D
For some people, the jpgs I get from my camera at 3 megs are "huge", for
others, the 50 meg files they get from a slide scan are "huge" - then there are
people with REALLY big pictures !!

In general, don't bother cropping the pictures except in Proshow (and I certainly
would not crop the originals). Depending on the size (in pixels) of the picture,
you need to be careful how much you try and zoom in also - your NTSC image
is something like 720 * 480 - if you crop the picture much smaller than that and
try to zoom in on it, you will see your pixel problem. I almost never crop the
pictures I use in my stuff and my normal pictures are something like
3000 * 2000 pixels.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:48 pm

This is a pretty common topic for discussion -- not that it's bad that you asked, just that you'll find other discussion threads with more info. I'll just add a couple points to what Mikey posted.

-- In general, you should do your edits on a copy of the originals and leave the originals alone. Then if there's a uh-oh moment you can go back to the beginning. Exceptions are rotations or crops done in a lossless fashion (if it involves you doing a save, it isn't).

-- As far as PSG goes, there's never any harm in leaving the pictures big and only a few times that it has advantages. If you're going to reduce the size, then as a very general rule of thumb, I won't take an image below a value that's twice what the video frame needs, roughly 1536x1024. That leaves plenty of pixels to zoom moderately and still retain image quality.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Jerry Cole » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:13 pm

Dennis,
I just second Dick and Mikey's advice ..... Keep them pixels handy, you never know when you will need them. I like to have lots to spare for any potential motion.
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Return to PSG - Style & Technique