Stacking question

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold
Bill Ludwig

Stacking question

Postby Bill Ludwig » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:11 am

Hello,

I would like to be able to stack one pic on top of the other -- offset a bit from one another, not just layered. Sort of like you're laying one pic on top of the other on a table. I want part of the previous pics to show as the stacking continues.

Any suggestions?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Stacking question

Postby DickK » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Bill Ludwig wrote:...I would like to be able to stack one pic on top of the other -- offset a bit from one another, not just layered. Sort of like you're laying one pic on top of the other on a table. I want part of the previous pics to show as the stacking continues.

I don't understand "..not just layered...". If you want a stack of pictures that's just a set of layers. Control the order with the order of the layers and control what shows from the lower layers by moving (including the rotation on the motion menu) each layer around to expose what's below them. To better see what you're doing while your on the layers control, right click in the image box and click on the "Show inactive layers" choice.

If that's not helpful or not addressing the question, just ask again and we'll try it again.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Bill Ludwig

Postby Bill Ludwig » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:27 pm

Got it, Dick. Duuuuhhh....I understand now. Thanks for the explanation. I'm having too much fun with all this! :P

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:48 pm

Bill,

No problem -- glad to help. Most everything about this software pretty obvious--the second time. :wink:

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:35 am

We have also found that a box of wine seems to help ... :shock:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Geo

Postby Geo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:14 am

I'll trade the wine for beer, but to each his own.

I love the layers option now that I understand it better. I always try to picture them as a world of 3D or cards where I have to know what is below the other, but not be concerned with it until I want to play it.

I can't wait to figure more of it out. Knowing how it works it the battle, playing with it is the fun part.

stay safe,

geo

mspetter

Still Stumped on Stacking

Postby mspetter » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:11 pm

I'm sorry, but could you please explain this technique a little more fully? Many thanks!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Still Stumped on Stacking

Postby DickK » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:50 pm

mspetter wrote:I'm sorry, but could you please explain this technique a little more fully? Many thanks!

Maybe, but it would help get you a more specific answer if you could explain what you're trying to achieve and what you found unclear.
Dick

mspetter

Postby mspetter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:35 am

Morning!
I am trying to get the effect of throwing picture upon picture on top of a table. I know how to add layers and have played with motion, but I still can't get the effect that I want. Do I need to make a new slide for each picture, copying the former slides as a backdrop? Thanks for your help! :-) - Viri

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:18 am

Sounds like what you are trying to do is very much like the "puzzle" type
show where pieces move into place and others remain. Search the forum for
puzzle discussions as well as the tutorials section and see if that does what you
want.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:35 am

Viri

In PSG you will have to do it on a number of slides, as you have suggested. With PSP and using KF's it could be done on one slide.

Brian

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:54 pm

mspetter wrote:Morning!
I am trying to get the effect of throwing picture upon picture on top of a table. I know how to add layers and have played with motion, but I still can't get the effect that I want. Do I need to make a new slide for each picture, copying the former slides as a backdrop? Thanks for your help! :-) - Viri

Yep, as Brian has said that's exactly what you do--lot's simpler to understand than the alternatives, I think. The end result will be a single slide with lots of layer's all arranged (stacked) the way you want them. Each slide that precedes the final one will add one image (a layer) to create a build up sequence.

This a very common technique useful for lots of things. When I do it, I frequently find that it's easiest to start by building the last slide so all the parts are placed just right. Then just make copies of that while working backward through the sequence with each slide set up to bring a layer in--you already know the final position, just get the starting position and motion set up. Of course, you can also start with a blank slide and add things one at a time--but I find I need to have all of them visible so I can get the arrangement right. It can be a fair amount of work to get it done but there's nothing difficult about it once you've grasped the process.

Good luck and enjoy!
Dick

Stacking

Postby Jerry Cole » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Bill and Vin
Check this link to an 11 sec./3 photo segment that I clipped out for you. Is this what you were looking to do?

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 2673&alb=0

Let me know and I will give you the specs.
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

mspetter

Stacking

Postby mspetter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi Jerry - That's exactly what I was looking for. Please give the specs. Again, I'm using PSG. Thanks, Viri

Thanks Dick and Brian for your helpful hints. I particularly like the idea of working from the last slide.

I'm still a true newbie at this, but boy is it great to learn something so cool!

- Viri

Postby Jerry Cole » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:52 pm

Viri,
I hope this works out for you. My appologies for addressing you as Vin before, my eyes played tricks!

Slide No. 1: Place 1st photo
MOTION
zoom start 65 zoom end 65
rotate start 0 rotate end -10
Slide duration 3
cut 0

Slide No 2:
LAYERS
add 2nd Photo as layer 1
MOTION Layer 1
rotate start 0 rotate end +10
pan start 52x93 pan end 0 x 0
Layer No 2
change start rotate to -10
Slide duration 1 sec
cut 0

Slide No 3:
Duplicate Slide 3
Layer 1 change start to same specs as end specs.
Slide duration 3.0
cut 0

Slide No. 4
Duplicate slide 3
LAYER
Add 3rd photo as layer 1
MOTION
rotate start +80 rotate end -20
start pan 60x93 end pan 0 x 0
Slide duration 1.0
cut 0

Slide No 5
Duplicate slide No. 4.....make sure that specs for each photo has start of next slide matching end of previous slide.

You can continue this for as many slides as you need. Play with the numbers ... they are not set in stone.
*You may want the photos larger or smaller than the 65% that I used.
*The large pan numbers just make sure that the photo that is coming in starts off screen
*The rotation numbers can be whatever angle that you want the photos
*You can change the timing to be either faster or slower, as you wish.

important to remember
*Make sure that the start of the "static" photo slide matches the ending point of the moving photo slide.
*The transition is always cut and the time is always 0

I hope this works for you. Once you begin to work with the effect, it will begin to make sense to you.
Good Luck,
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Next

Return to PSG - Style & Technique