Intro 'shows'

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold
Honorary ProShow PHD

Intro 'shows'

Postby TinaJ » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:53 am

I convinced a friend to try Proshow and she loves it! Of course! She was trying to make an intro for a movie and has run into a few problems. Since I haven't delved into the intro thing yet, and I know that Jerry, Al and others are the ones who really put the 'pro' into their shows, I thought this would be the place to get an answer for sure!! She made what she calls a 'little show' for her intro, thinking that she could just drag it to the first slide of her movie. That doesn't work. So I got her into the create DVD window, had her check the intro box and select her own intro. It works, but it's before the menu page. She would like to be able to click on the thumbnail of her movie and then have the intro play before the movie actually starts. I know I've seen this done here, so if someone has step by step directions, I will share them with her.
While I was helping her, I did find that the window where you click on the intro show is the same page that you can add other shows to be burned on the dvd. I knew I'd seen it somewhere!!
TinaJ

Postby Barbara_K » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:54 am

She can copy and paste her intro show at the beginning of her main show. Just open the intro show, select all slides, choose 'copy' from the 'edit' menu or right click and choose 'copy'. Close the intro show, open the main show, click the first slide in the show and choose 'paste' from the edit menu or right click on the first slide and choose 'paste'. Everything will be copied except the music if she has any. That will have to be added manually.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:09 am

Another solution (one that I often use) - use a video editor (if she is
working with video, it is a good investment anyway). Create your
"intro" show as an uncompressed avi (does take disk space though).
Export your main show in uncompressed avi -- now you can import
both of them into the video editor, add additional effects, overlays,
transitions between the segments etc. Then from there, render/create
your DVD. I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (about $90) others
have reported they are happy with Adobe Premeire Elements (in the
same range). The only downside to doing it that way is you don't end
up with a .px file that you can share on the Photodex site. Personally,
I prefer the DVD Architect Studio that is part of the Sony product over
the Photodex utility for creating a DVD. You can "piece together" as
many segments as you want that way, add additional music, captions,
whatever.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Thanks

Postby TinaJ » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:23 pm

for the suggestions and info, I will make sure she gets it. Bonus, now I can make an intro too!!
TinaJ

Postby Jerry Cole » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:36 pm

TinaJ,
I do things much as Barbara suggests. Copy and Paste.

or

If there is an intro that I like, I name and save it as a show. I can then open that show to begin instead of starting with a "new" show. Then I change the name and save it under the new name....easy and quick.

Is this what you meant?
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Postby Jerry Cole » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Oh Yeah, I forgot to mention that you can keep the music if it is in the slide instead of in the show itself.
Hope this helps,
Jerry
San Diego Guy

Honorary ProShow PHD

Jerry

Postby TinaJ » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:02 pm

So the lightning sounds on yours are attached to the slide itself?

As for your second suggestion, you start a new show with the intro, then just add new slides to make the new show, is that what you mean? As long as you have it saved and then saved with the new show and a new name that does sound quick and easy! Now to find some time...
TinaJ

Postby Jerry Cole » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:03 pm

TinaJ,
Yup...you got it! I basically put the intro in to let folks know that the slide program is starting ... so ... I wanted something to get their attention. The thunder seems to work. My 3-year old grandson always says "That's my favorite part"!

I'm not as technically advanced as Mikey, so I just wanted a quick and simple. Doesn't give the control of an audio editor, (or video if working with that) but its ok for now.
Keep that enthusiasm,

Jerry
San Diego Guy

lisco

Postby lisco » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:25 pm

Tina-

I agree with Jerry. When I include an intro, I'll make a mini show and save it. Open it to start a new show and save as under a different name. Sometimes I will create a video MPEG2 or AVI and save it some place safe and that you can drag and drop. Mostly, I agree with Jerry. :)

Scott

pixmike

Postby pixmike » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:34 pm

That's how I do it too. I have a little "bank" of intros" that I made on "rainy days".

Mike :wink:

Postby Jerry Cole » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:59 am

Mike,
I guess I am doomed as far as being able to have a "bank" of intros. Not many rainy days here in San Diego! Maybe I could work on them when I see a cloud? Its a real hardship here. I had to put PSG on my laptop so I could sit by the pool.
:wink: 8)

Jerry
San Diego Guy

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:43 am

Well, someone has to absorb all that sun and protect the
rest of us from it !! :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Lucky Jerry

Postby TinaJ » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:50 pm

We get rainy days in Maine but I'm finding myself buried in paperwork as a first year teacher still taking courses. Have to put my show making aside til Christmas, when I will be finished with school and have my certificate. Then I'll have time to start making intros...I want to make a movie for my 4th graders!!
TinaJ

Geo

Postby Geo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:59 pm

Those in the know......I love the idea of adding a "into" canned show at the beginning, easy enough. Gives it a polished or professional look. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to change the Proshow Intro Show.....you know, like under the create DVD disk menu, then Include intro show and where you can select the one provided or no show......is there a way to put one into this area before the disk menu? I think it's also a .psh file.

geo

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:46 pm

Geo wrote:Those in the know......I love the idea of adding a "into" canned show at the beginning, easy enough. Gives it a polished or professional look. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to change the Proshow Intro Show.....

Sure looks like it. Haven't thoroughly explored the options but I tried something quick. When you go to produce an output, there's a screen that let's you select the shows to go in the output. The "Include Intro Show" has a browse button that will let you select any show to include as an intro.

What I didn't try is to see what happens if you rename the current INTRO.PSH, then substitute something you created but with that name (and in the same folder). I think you could change what that PSH file does but looking inside it, I see some setup stuff there and in the NOINTRO.PSH that may be necessary. Still, I'll bet it can be done. However, one thing to keep in mind is that if you install an upgrade or reinstall the software it will revert to the PhotoDex intro. Using the "browse" button will be safer but I'm going to have to chase this down some time when I've got more than a few minutes to put on it.

Either way, I'd not thought of it but actually that's a pretty good idea for including a short "show" with a slide or two at the start for branding purposes.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Next

Return to PSG - Style & Technique