Make Shows Smaller

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold
lady jane

Make Shows Smaller

Postby lady jane » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:40 am

Hi everybody, I just joined. I have been making the cutest slide shows with PSG. My cousin sends picture urls of her granddaughter, and the pictures are regular snapshots, adorable only to the grandma. But after I get done with them, how cute! My latest is 6 megs, is there are way to get it under a meg and still able to read the captions? I use text to tell an elaborate playact. A lot of us are on dial-up, including myself. I heard mention of mpeg 4 but could not find such an animal. How do I go about uploading my slide shows so others can review? I want to make sure like I am not like grandma, only cutr to me :)

Esteemed Member

uploading shows

Postby nantory » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi Lady Jane and welcome. I can't help you with the first part of your question, but as for how to you can post your shows on this forum, here goes: First you need to create an account on the Photodex website. On the top menu of ProShow Gold or Producer, click on create and go down to share show online-it is then uploaded to the Photodex website. When you open the show after it is uploaded, copy the link and post it on this forum under PSG sample shows or PSP sample shows. Hope this helps.

lady jane

Postby lady jane » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Ah, so that's the secret :) I got the show uploaded, which is a very unusual way. I thought I would be making a file first to upload, but it did so right from ProShow Gold. It did take off a couple megs for the size, still way too large for email on dialup. I'm still waiting for it to open on the web, but hopefully this is the url:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 9215&alb=0

I am inviting all comments, don't hold back on how it could be better, what makes it worse, etc. I want to make GOOD slide shows.

Thanks,
Jane

Postby nannybear » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Welcome to the forum! You could also make an executable file and use the "You Send It" site to send it to your relatives. This creates a file that has all it needs to run on a Windows PC. Hope that helps! Cheers Jan

ps: you might want to post your show in the Sample Show section - more people will see the link that way. :lol:
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

lady jane

Postby lady jane » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:41 pm

I have heard of You Send It, but doesn't it send just a url to the recipient? Then they have to download the entire thing. It's better than getting from email, but at 5 megs it still takes awhile to download.

Postby nannybear » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:46 pm

You are right, they have to download it but then have it anytime they want to see it. Six of one, half dozen of the other. With dial up you are going to wait one way or another, just not sure which way if faster. Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

lady jane

Postby lady jane » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:55 pm

I'm just trying for a smaller file size yet still good quality. But hey, my uploaded show finally opened! I must have waited more than half an hour but iyt opened.
Jane

lisco

Postby lisco » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Lady Jane-

About the only way that I know to make your show smaller, is to open a photo editing program and compress them even further. Your show size is reflected by the size of your photos/video. The quality should still be there. Once they are compressed, they should still look good on the monitor, but not real good for printing, so if they are keepers, you might want to "Save As" so you don't loose the larger ones. I'm not sure, but I don't think that text takes up all that much space. Not as much as a photo.

I could be wrong, I usually am.

Scott

lady jane

make slide show smaller

Postby lady jane » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestion , but I'm not so sure I can make the pictures smaller. They range from 36k (verticals) up to a huge 80k for horizontals. And I don't use too many pix in a show, the one I uploaded has just 21 pictures. The music I chose is likely the culprit. It is about a meg, and I don't know how to compress it even more. The whole show is about 2 minutes long.

No one yet has c&c on the show, is it that bad? lol
Jane

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:25 pm

To get people to comment on your show, you should have it in the sample show section. Each part of this forum has a heading and you put the show link in style and technique instead of sample shows. Try copying the link to that section and you will get plenty of feedback.

lady jane

make shows smaller

Postby lady jane » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:35 pm

Oh will do. It is very obvious that I am very new here :)
Jane

daisydownunder

Re: make shows smaller

Postby daisydownunder » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:11 am

lady jane wrote:Oh will do. It is very obvious that I am very new here :)
Jane

Hi Every one I am new here as well, I make stills and video for my Star Trek/Andromeda web pages,

I was reading this and I wondered would it be better for you Jane to make A DVD, then your relatives could watch them on their TV :) I do this for my relatives in the UK and they are thrilled with them:)

http://www.daisydownunder.com/

Daisy :)

lady jane

The Little Monstah and her friends

Postby lady jane » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:54 am

Oh definitely, I have been making dvds and what is so great about PSG, it can also make an autorun cd with the slide show too, just put the cd on the tray in the computer and it plays by itself. Wonderful for the elderly who only fire up the computer once a month - just enough so they won't learn it. These shows are absolutely wonderful! Better than sitting there for three hours with the technology handicapped elderly person trying to view slides on the Kodak site on dial-up. I must be the only person in the entire world who has an elderly uncle that when downloading email - "Now you have to type in your password, which is 1234." "Oh, wait while I get a pencil and paper so I can write that down." This actually happened! Thank GOD for ProShow Gold.

Some of the other relatives have dial-up and it is difficult to watch slide shows on the web. The little one I made took almost 45 minutes to open on my computer with dial-up. A wedding slide show I did (turned out absolutely gorgeous) runs for half an hour and has more than 200 pictures. This turned out so good it's like I really was there. I found a wonderful recording of "Daddy's Little Girl" sung so beautifully by the Mills Brothers and my aunt always cries during that part. Obviously, this would be impossible to run on the web, so I made dvds for several families.

I came across an ad by a professional photographer who will do a slide show of your wedding pictures, about 200-300 photos for $500! I am definitely in the wrong business lol. I cannot believe the wonderful work that PSG does - simple, fast, and excellent results. It burns the dvd or cd very well too. I could not be more pleased.
Jane

Return to PSG - Style & Technique